MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my Solar Red ZR105 after a gruelling 7 week wait!! Everything seems fine with it apart from a sticking passenger door but that should sort itself out. The car is excellent to drive and I can't wait until it's all run in. The dealer was great (they even left me some flowers on the back seat...ahhhh!!!). Is there anything that I should keep an eye on -- any gripes?

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
I know it's gonna be hard but you really MUST stop yourself from flooring it from the word go.

Although there's no official run-in procedure, seemingly the longer you stay off the gas, the better it will be in the long run.

Check your oil weekly. Many Zed owners, especially 160, have noted the K series drinks like Gazza!

Otherwise listen out for the infamous MGR rattles which soon develop. Quite often untraceable too and certainly unfixable. Just turn the stereo up and have a good time.

Congrats on a sound purchase.

P.S. If you're based somewhere in the north of England, check out this website for details of an unofficial MG owners club formulated specifically for the Zed range.

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
There IS an official running in procedure, if you'd have read the handbook... :D

Keep below 3k revs for the first 600 miles, then build up gradually after that.... Don't use full throttle till 1000 miles as well IMHO...

Rattles - I'm not sure why everyone singles this out as an MG-R problem - it seems to me that practically every car suffers from it at some point or another...

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Handbook...what's that then!!!

As for rattling, I've had a few cars over the years and I've never come across one which rattles/squeaks to the extent my ZR does within the first 4 months.

I'm not complaining mind you. Adds character. I'm just offering an observation.

G

·
Rattles, I had one of the firts MB CLK320's in the country and as my wife would agree it did my head in.

The squeks from that had German plastic was very annoying. :(

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
And you disagreed with me when I mentioned how bad I thought Merc build quality was?????

:D:D:D:D

G

·
Never belief an ex-RAF type. :D

I never said the build quality was bad - I just said it had an annoying noise from one door panel. This isn't enough to not buy a car, my R75 had the same during its 2 years of ownership (Matt Hicks has fixed this). Which reminds I should put it the fix on site.

The reason it was sold was that I had it for 2 years and MAX didn't like the way it understeered in the wet.

I personally liked the car and still like the better MB's. Still in the equation as well. Never say never! :D :D

Back to topic:

The guys have given you sensible advice, 600 miles is the recommended running in mileage, but don't floor it until 1000 miles (having said that I always end up exceeding th revs throughout the period). I was using 4,000 revs as an artificial max on the "K," too difficult not to. :D

Even then (1,000 miles) on most of the MGR products don't require an oil change. I haven't on our ZT, but if it makes you feel better then this may be a good idea.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My ZR 120 seems to rattle but I can only hear it when stationary and when I press the clutch the rattle stops.

That is just about as technical as I can get!!!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I must agree with Jerry that build quality on the MB's aint bad-it was just the horrific service costs, and the utter arrogance of dealers (Well, Drayton Continental in Stoke at least) that has shied me away from the three pointed star for a long while into the future now.
I must admit, the interior on my previous car to that, Rover 820 Hatch seemed to stand up better to the rigours of hard use loading and unloading toolcases and test equipment. This car is still around today and can be seen around Stoke plying it's trade as a taxi - must have done spaceship miles by now!:eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts