MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All

I don't get on here too much at the moment, mainly because I am too busy trying to find a new job. Some will know I got made redundant from my job recently. Well, that was two months ago (I can't believe where the time has gone).

Getting a new position has been a learning curve and a half, I have not stopped trying but jobs are very hard to come by out there. And those that are around are getting many many applicants.

For those that have a job, be grateful, even if it feels like you can't do that job much longer. Believe me, its not good out there.

One thing I have tried to be all along is positive. And Im still trying. I have one or two ideas Im looking at but they are for the new year. They may or may not happen. So I'm looking around still for anything that may come up.

So if anyone who is local to me (oxfordshire) knows of any job vacancies please do let me know (even if its temporary). If there are vacancies that require travelling, still get in contact please. Im willing to look at anything (well, almost!).

They do say the best way to get a job is networking. So here's hoping. :)

Thank you.

Martin_H

Thanks for reading.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Hi Martin, sorry to hear no luck yet, on the job front.

How about looking at it in another way, I remember you were looking at web design, I dont know what the going rate is for getting a web site up and running.

Would it be worth getting a few cards printed and some A4 flyers offering small, one man, or bigger companies, a complete web design, photos, write up, launch on the hosting site, domaine name, etc.

You could contact local companies and see if they have, or want, a web site. Even if they have, how many are out of date?? Checkatrade (if they are in your area) would be a good place to start as they want a good image.

All the best for the future and hope that something comes along.

·
Ahhh. It's good to be back.....
1,454 Posts
Good luck. It's a shame that hard working, smart people can't find a job!

Scares the hell out of me losing mine! What with two kids and a mortgage.

Do you have much experience with web design? My brother in law has a lot of work on in that area so I could point him in your direction?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
not a carpenter by any chance are you?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good luck. It's a shame that hard working, smart people can't find a job!

Scares the hell out of me losing mine! What with two kids and a mortgage.

Do you have much experience with web design? My brother in law has a lot of work on in that area so I could point him in your direction?

Thank you. I have a lot of experience with web design but I would imagine its not quite what your brother in law would like. I use a programme called Freeway which is a design orientated software. I.e. no knowledge of html, java etc is required. I realise I am at a disadvantage here which is why I am seriously considering a web course using Dreamweaver. There are loads of vacancies for web development and Im missing out. Once i settle down to a new job I will be going on a course.

Im wondering if Job seekers would fund it as I could then apply for one of the vacancies going therefore eliminating me from the job queue. But probably not due funding cuts.

:)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Martin, sorry to hear no luck yet, on the job front.

How about looking at it in another way, I remember you were looking at web design, I dont know what the going rate is for getting a web site up and running.

Would it be worth getting a few cards printed and some A4 flyers offering small, one man, or bigger companies, a complete web design, photos, write up, launch on the hosting site, domaine name, etc.

You could contact local companies and see if they have, or want, a web site. Even if they have, how many are out of date?? Checkatrade (if they are in your area) would be a good place to start as they want a good image.

All the best for the future and hope that something comes along.
Thanks. One of my ideas is to launch my own design business. A website will be up and running in November. Im in the middle of designing it at the moment. The web address will be www.beeskneesdesign.co.uk

I may well advertise on here but need to talk to Steve first for costs.

I will have a look at this Checkatrade though.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Good Luck. Really feel for honest guys trying to get work. It's the lazy ****ards who get everything though. This government looks like its making efforts to sort them out though. Hope they do.

·
1,454 Posts
Dreamweaver is a little difficult to begin with but then it clicks!

If I managed to learn it then you certainly could. I just spent a few weeks learning on my own machine each night.

·
1,454 Posts
You haven't bought a Euromillions lottery ticket and left it down the side of the sofa have you?

Problem solved if you have!!!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good Luck. Really feel for honest guys trying to get work. It's the lazy ****ards who get everything though. This government looks like its making efforts to sort them out though. Hope they do.
I would agree with that. Hand on heart, I know I really cannot try any harder to get a job, but all around me I see and hear of signs of companies literally clinging on. I have never known a time like it. There are jobs yes, but companies are only looking for sales reps (there's a surprise) or people with full experience of their trade. That even includes small retail shops!

So, it comes down to working for myself.

The other idea is being a chauffeur. I have to apply for my licence but I have been offered something in the new year but that may or may not happen.

re Dreamweaver, i intend to buy a second hand copy and learn it myself. There are so many jobs for web design developers I would be silly not to look into this as an avenue.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I think I have come to realise that the answer is pretty obvious now.

I have good skills in Print design but a lot of jobs are now incorporating web design as part of the package. In other words employers are looking for two in one.

I need to enhance my potential by learning these extra skills.

I have experience of building websites but not coding.

Answer, learn Dreamweaver, html, & xhtml. Then far more jobs become open to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts