MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
This has to be crap - Jag XJ-series is now 3rd joint with Skoda Octavia. Stupid buyers. :D Impreza used to be 1st - just coz it's now out of favour it's 52nd - I don't believe it. Utter garbage, lets hope punters take no notice of this. Oh and u don't have to ask where *** are???

Anyway where are our beloved MGR's out of a total 144 cars?

Rover 75 - 12th (still a very good showing).
Rover 25 - 59
Rover 45 - 88
MGF - 106

The 600 - 800 and Mini are listed but these are no interest to the new age owner! :D

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
These silly poles are stupid. Would you buy/be put off buying a car that you like the look of, engine, performance,price and desirability? No neither would I, to rank the R25/MGR 59th is simpley amazing.

TAZ has had her car for two years, going in for service on Thursday with 14k miles on clock. Routine servicing has been the only time the car has been off the road. Sorry told a lie - front seat release broke to gain access from front to rear (3 door model).

I would say that is very reliable motoring. Then again some might not think that way. AUTO EXPRESS.

Jim

·
Registered
388 Posts
Personally the JD Power survey is one of the few 'league tables' that I have time for. I was sent on of their questionnaires a few years back and it did seem to be trying to get an unbiassed view of the cars and dealers from the owners. If *** have a good showing, it must be because those people who buy them are happy with the cars and, more importantly, the dealers. If MGR have not done so well, the opposite must be true and they should learn from this. Judging by the comments that I've heard in various places regarding people's experiences with MGR dealers, I'm not surprised that they have not done too well. Many of the poorly performing marques suffer as much from poor dealer service as from poor cars. Added to which, if you have a good dealer (as I have), the cars are likely to be considered better quality because any problems are fixed quickly and with minimal fuss. I hope that MGR listen to what is being said by the owners in this survey and take steps to rectify the probelms.

S.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Steve

Very fair comment. I was probably "blinded by the light of my own publicity machine."

I know there are some very poor dealers out there. If you get no satisfaction then you tend to right the brand off - even though it's as good if not better than other manufacturers!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Dealers ...

I tend not to rate any surveys, primarily because of "BBS syndrome" - you don't tend to get people posting on a BBS telling everybody "Car's fine today - no problems" - it only tends to be the negative aspects which are highlighted, and I feel it is the same with surveys - only people with an axe to grind will take the time to respond properly.

As far as MGR go, the cars themselves are fine, but apart from a few notable exceptions, the dealer network is lousy. Anybody who has been following the MGF Head-Gasket issues should know that the vast majority of problems stem from poorly-bled cooling systems resulting in airlocks which cause hot-spots on the engine, and as the weakest point is the head gasket, it fails. Proving that a dealer has done a shoddy job of replacing the coolant is another matter however. There are other reasons for HGF by the way - expansion tank cap and corroded/leaking hoses being the main culprits - there are others too but these are by far the most common. The dealer should pick these up when the car is serviced however.

Personally, my MGF hasn't been anywhere near an MGR dealer since it's first service. Reason? I checked in the engine bay after it was returned to find one of the bolts which hold the cam-belt cover rattling around on one of the engine mounts. That is itself is nothing to worry about, but uf they didn't put this back properly, what else have they missed?

Mike Satur has done all my servicing ever since. No problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
For a car to have been placed first, with a consistent previous showing, only to drop 50 odd places, destroys all integrity of this survey.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Guys, don't see that it is all bad news here. In this type of survey some one has to be top others bottom. Looking at Driver Power 2002 in Auto Express the results for MGRs were 'OK', infact when viewed against the opposition they were good, with strong results for the 75.

The new MG models are not included this year. Most people I speak to have a passion for their MG, too be fair fewer have such a passion for their Rover (it doesn’t make them worse cars), crikey with the press Rover got because it seems most London journalists wanted them to fail, any result better than poor shows people can think for themselves.

I do agree that dealers seem to be a problem (although they did achieve a ranking of 17th in Auto Express, better than VW-25th)

To me what makes the difference is the relative ranking of the 25 v 200 and 45 v 400. The newer cars have done far better in the Power Drive 2002.

In fact lets smile:)
The 75 came 6th with 2 first places for Ride and Comfort:D :D beating, Jag X type-13th (Unlucky for you Jag;), ***3 - 18th :p ,
AudiA4-22nd, Merc c class-32nd!:eek:, Alfa 156-65th :eek:

The 45 came 34th with some very good scores for steering, breaking and ride beating the Seat Toledo-45th, Nissan Almera-50th, Audi A3-52nd, Pug 307-55th, VW Golf-60th:p, Astra-62nd, Merc A class-73rd:eek: , Renault Megane-77th, Fiat Bravo/Brava-97th.

The 25 came 70th, handling and performance being the best scores beating, Pug 206-71st, Fiesta-72nd, VW Lupo-76th, VW Polo-81st2:p, Seat Ibiza-86th (sorry S&R!), Renault Clio-87th, Corsa-93rd, Fiat Punto-98th, Citroen Saxo-99th and last but not least Pug 106-100. Yep last place.

Yes the small cars were viewed to be worse than the larger ones in general, but we could have guessed that. MGR has room for
improvement.....but not as much as many others! Makes interesting reading doesn’t it:cool:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think we (and MGR) should take note of these surveys. I slightly disagree with Andy G about them having a BBS syndrome. The survey is sent to a random sample owners of cars who ask for a form. While there may be a higher degree of disatisfied owners who are motivated to ask for a form, I feel that forms are likely to go out to a fairly representative selection of owners.

I'm in the process of changing my Xantia Estate and, based on these surveys, I have been looking at a Skoda forum over the past week. Its a wierd place to be because there are practicaly no grips, moans or problems. The only thing they talk about is chipping their cars and how wonderful their cars are. I was in a Skoda dealership yesterday and it was a new experience for me - greeted on arrival, left to look around the cars for a few minutes, then asked if I needed any help, then taken around the car, pointing out features the salesman actually KNEW the car, given brochures and then offered the use of a car for a couple for a test. Didn't get any of that when I visited 4 dealers looking for a R75 under the MG discount scheme a few months ago - gald I couldn't afford the R75 now.

Its not rocket science MGR - get the cars right first time so they don't have to go back to the dealers, then work with the dealers when their workshops are not spending god knows how many hours a day doing low profit warranty work.

Paul

·
Which one shall I drive today?
6,507 Posts
When surveys like these have been going for a few years, peoples expectations change.

If a car or manufacturer is rated highly, they expect more from them than they would one with a lower rating. Cars/dealers have to improve faster than expectations rise just to stay on top.

Likewise, average cars and service from a munufacturer thats is rated poorly will see them climbing up the tables.

These surveys don't just measure how good the product is, but whether they live up to what the customer expects.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I havn't seen the full JD Power results but I have little time for the results. For one reason, they never mention how many responses they get on each vehicle.

Lets take a Ford Focus, don't know where it came but probably pretty low, similarly the Fiesta, Mondeo etc. These cars sell in very large numbers so have large responses, the dealers tend to be of the impression that it's a cheap car so cheap service (unfortunatly MGR dealers are the same) so the cars get poor results.

Take the Toyota Corolla, (probably high up the list as it always is) sells in very high numbers everywhere except the UK, so how many responses in comparison to the Fords.

Then we look at demographics. Sweeping generalisations coming up but, most Toyota buyers tend to be that bit older, and the car probably covers less miles, therefore less chance of going wrong and the pensioner set don't notice the creaks and rattles as they can't hear them (I'm going to get abuse for that one;) ).

The Ford Focus is a typical family or company car, covers lots of miles, gets abused a lot, generally younger drivers who notice the problems more and complain more.

This is probably why the Jaguar XJ, and to an extent the Rover 75 do well as the average age of the owner will be that bit older.

I await the abuse. :)

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Mark what abuse! No I thought some of your comments were valid. Tend to agree that an MG driver is going to be a younger driver than a Rover driver. However, there are exceptions, me. Does 40 mean I'm deaf and an old fart! truth is I am partially deaf.

Cheers,

Jim

·
X ZS
521 Posts
Am I an old fart then? At 50 I have just got a ZS180 ( my first MG since my 89 BGT) I love it! My dealer Gillingham Rover, was more than happy to spend time with me, knew the car he was trying to sell, even offered me the demo off the forecourt for the day to see what I thought! Yes I have had a few probs, but they sorted it without fuss. Still call in now even just for a chat, I feel like a valued customer, not just another sales statistic!
P.S. Bought the demo, couldnt wait, had to have one, its gggggreat!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts