MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very quiet metallic jangling noise coming from under the gear stick area. It does seem to do it more over bumps etc, which is making me think it's something that is loose (or breaking up)
Do you think this could be the gear linkage thingy? (Sorry for terminology)
Or something more sinister?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Is this since your decat?

It might just be bedding in or it maybe touching something.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
We had a "noise" coming from under the car, worse over bumps too but only happened when the exhaust was hot. Turned out to be the Lambda Sensor slightly touching the exhaust heat shield. I managed to pin point the noise by nudging the tail pipe with my foot when the exhaust had warmed through.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this since your decat?

It might just be bedding in or it maybe touching something.
Not the decat, it was doing it well before then, I just thought 'I'll live with it' but it's getting on my tits now.

We had a "noise" coming from under the car, worse over bumps too but only happened when the exhaust was hot. Turned out to be the Lambda Sensor slightly touching the exhaust heat shield. I managed to pin point the noise by nudging the tail pipe with my foot when the exhaust had warmed through.
It's had a new lambda a while back and was doing it when the old one was in, so don't think it's that.
The noise is hard to describe, it's not a knocking sound. It's a bit like if you had tiny springs in a bag and lightly jangled the bag around.

Reckon it is to do with recent decat work you've had too.
As said, it was doing it before so can rule that out I think.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had it up on the ramps today to have my center section replaced and I asked the chap to look over all the heat shields etc and he couldn't see anything wrong. So the quest continues.
Just to let you know the centre section cost 66 quid all in. Does that sound about right? Can't see it being much cheaper.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Just had new flexi with decat mate. Was doing it before as well. Do you think it could be the gear linkage bush wearing down?
Yeah, it could be, does it go away when you put a bit of light pressure on the gear lever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts