MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
James Tillings - where are u now?

Is Jim and James Tillings - the one and the same? :D

I remember in the late 80's/early 90's watching a 24hr Le Man programme featuring this frequent Sarthe traveller. He had visited 25 plus times - is this our very own Jim or "Jimbo" as he know likes to be known - I ask myself?

We all know the facts. Jim race fanatic - Le Mans expert! So come on Jim - credentials on the table. Lay down your cards, your time is up!

NB. This same film had Brian Redman interviewed during a racing break, drinking some dubious looking liquid. He quotes," ....prepared by our doctors, taste nothing like it looks".

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Jim is alive and kicking and living in Lincoln for his sins. Ok, I love Endurance Racing and particularly Le Mans and 1000 km races.

However to change the subject alittle. I do have a funny story regarding our own "Mr Xpower".

1999 is the year. Le Mans is the race. Jerry, Willie and I have decided to nominate who we thought would win the race. I went for Toyota, Willie went for *** and Jerry went for Mercedes.

After about 4 hours or so of racing, Merc were leading but it was getting qiute close at the front. We had decided to go to the village and have a drink. Jerry had been crying like a baby that he wanted a Merc T-Shirt. So the lads obliged and went along with him. As soon as he bought the thing he was as happy as Larry - all smiles, what could go wrong!

So happy he bought a bottle of champers. There we were, supping away our champers when an announcement came through that Peter Drumbreck had taken off, without clearance from air traffic control and had completed a triple salzo. Poor bloke was lucky to survive.

The surviving car was withdrawn that was leading. Jerry was not happy. We saw the emotional side of Jerry that evening in France. He literally pulled off the T-shirt, the same shirt he'd been carping on that he must have and threw it on the floor - disgusted. Willie and I tried to comfort him and tell him it "would end up in tears". After this Mr Xpower was rather quiet after this sequence of events.

Later at the same meeting Mr Nice Guy, Butter wouldn't melt in his mouth, yes Mr Xpower borrowed a Merc Bill Board.

Willie and I decided to keep our distance from this strange man. I mean I was driving a Rover and had to take him back to the UK. Would I trust him.

Sorry must go phone going.

James

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Jim states that he is living in Lincoln for his sins.

I frequently visit the city and have always found it to be a pleasant city with a range of facilities but have yet to encounter these 'sins'.

Where can these be obtained and what range is available?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
James

Love the anecdote Jim.

Surely you are not talking about me? The grey suited and grey person that sits on the sidelines. Yes, I did buy some Champers, don't remember my associates reciprocating. Yes, the T-shirt was removed in disgust! Nice car the CLK GTR though shame about its low level spinning charecteristics! :D

OT - Max hated the CLK 320 we bought (about the first in the country - kept it for 2 years, could have made £5k in the first couple of months). Eventually sold it for a ML320 and then went anti, all things G***** and bought the R75 and a new dawn began!

Oh! Max hated the CLK because it had a tendancy to under steer, particularly in slippery conditions. This car had a few niggling problems too, but thankfully didn't fly.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Sorry John, I tend to go along with you, Lincoln is a great City. Very similiar to York.

Sin City however can be found at Portland Street, off the High Street!!

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts