MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Pope
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you guys who know me know that I bought a locomotive with a bunch of other guys back in 2005 and have been restoring it since. This weekend we attempted to start its engine by jump starting it off another locomotive. This is the first time its engine has run since 1979. Heres a video of it starting. If your a greeny, look away now ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGFd-wYl9yk

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts

·
The Pope
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It did clear up when it got warm, but then it blocked an injector and started smoking again LOL!

·
The Pope
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice one buddy,dead pleased for ya.............:yup:
Cheers matey! Unfortunately we are looking at a £100k before it can pull itself around, but we have spent over £60k on it sofar. Possiably looking at lottery money to get it finnished, but its pointless applying at the moment because of the olympics. We did say 10 years to get it fully opperational back in 2005, and I think we are on course for that money providing.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Hope you get the funding, great to see them coming back to life, got the Swanage Railway near us.

Run a few steam and derv/electric.

:wave:

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
Did it need a few squirts of easy-start???

·
Registered
343 Posts
Does it need a visible smoke test for its MOT??? :)

Awesome project...........

·
The Pope
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did it need a few squirts of easy-start???
Nope! I spent 3 hours making sure the fuel system was fully bled with no air bubbles. Amazingly it has more in common with an HDi injection system than a traditional monobloc injection pump.

Take it thats its got an EE unit?
Nope, its Paxman YHXL V16

More like:

I was going to make a 6 foot high can of that for a joke, but time overtook me...:cry:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts