MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is F1 about to implode? What's your thoughts on the subject? I think F1 has got to get a stick and start shaking it and make it more interesting.

Press coverage within the last week has not been exciting. Ford have said that they will not pull out of the Jaguar effort - does this mean that they were thinking!

Jordan have downsized and re-shuffled staff about and sacked Trevor Foster to save money! Rumour has it that Honda aren't happy with their performance. Neither would I with their reputed budget with nothing to show.

BAR aren't much better. Sacked Pollock and installed Richards who as yet haven't scored any points whilst under his leadership. Co - founder Adrian Reynard has gone wollop (bust).

Prost nee Ligier went into receivership earlier this year.

It don't make for good reading. Why is it? Well it's all to do with cash, greed and boredom.

Personally, I pray that F1 fails because it's as exciting as watching paint dry.

Jim

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
jim
my sundays use to revolve around F1 but not anymore,the whole thing is a charade with bernie the ringmaster of a farcical circus.
When i think back to the 80's and the great battles i was privileged to see with Prost,mansell and senna i can only say i get excited at the qualifying now-thats how bad things have got!
maybe CART will be our salvation.

kev

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Things must be bad. Ferrari have just used an old 'script' in qualifying again. Gets a bit boring, only saw the last few minutes but knew what was going to happen.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I'd love to have a time machine and take Shuey back to the 70's and 80's to race the greats in their own era's.
When ever he has to "race" someone he either gets ruffled or resorts to knocking them off.
I know its hard to compaire drivers from different times but i dont think he could mix it with some off them.

who do you think would spank shueys arse??????

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Martin 1 Bernie 0 :D

Did anyone see martin B just get one over on bernie.
it went something like this........
Martin....you have been quite lately,what u been up to???

bernie.... ive been working for sky-you know all that interactive stuff that itv dont have!

Martin..... i know,thats where you invite your mate round and double the audiance.

classic

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Is F1 about to implode?????:mad:
It just has,unbelieveable is all i can say.shuemaker must have more power than bernie.
a very sad day!

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Kev and JIM,

Outrageous.

Thought I would visit this thread after Austria but Kev has beat me to it.

Whats the point in watching it anymore????????

Matt.

G

·
He may have handed the trophy over but the Red team have lost all credibility for a team to carry on like this shows how shallow they are :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Matt
i'm always moaning about F1 but i still watch it:(
good to see the crowd booing shuey in his own back yard ,he tried distancing himself from the decision but he didn't have to overtake if he didn't want to.i think they were taken aback by the crowds reaction.

kev

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Good!!

It's much needed. I get the impression the whole F1 thing is a little "New Labour" - In that I mean Arrogance and a "we do what we want and you lump it" sort of attitude. They have basically forgot why they are there - cos of US!!!

People copping the hump - as I would if I had gone all the way over there, paid all the cash and seen that - is needed as it may wake em up a little and realise that they have gotta start thinking about the punters again!!

Matt.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It would seem that Matt and Kev are/were passionate about f1. Although I had time on my hands to watch the Grand Prix on Sunday Afternoon, I chose not to, instead spent quality time with my girls. F1 is a turn off.

It's not so much as Ferrarri winning all the time, but it's very samey. Court wrangles, cars looking and sounding very similiar, drivers frightened to speak their minds, driver aids(!). Need I go on.

Bootmaker jnr and Coulthard have given up aready in the title chase, 6 races into a championship of 17 races. Perish their silly minds. James Hunt in 1976 was some 40 odd points adrift but giving up was not in his vovabularly. Ok Lauda missed 4 races but "Our Man" was wrongly disqualified at Brands, the Italians at Monza doctored his fuel so his back was against the wall.

Yes, and Shootmaker does make mistakes under pressure. Witness Spa when running into the back of Coulthard and blaming the "Wee Jock", taking Villenue off when he had realised that he was going to lose the championship. Australia when he took off Hill for the 1996 Championship. The bloke is a cheat and cheap with it.

The authorities are to blame, all the incidents and what happens - nothing.

Jim

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
and another thing

Damon Hill was a better person than bootmaker. He was a worthy champion. First to admit if he had taken someone off or had made a mistake, was a gentleman foremost and most importantly a "PEOPLE'S CHAMPION". One accolade our german friend will never hold.

Jim

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I felt really sorry for Barrichello. As people say, Shumacher didn't have to overtake and if he cared at all about his teammate's feelings he wouldn't have, despite team orders.
The whole thing is becoming one big joke. Shumacher's blunder at the end totally ruined what was turning out to be an interesting race for me.

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Jim, just one thing:

<anorak>

Schumi and Hill collided in australia, yes. However, I think you'll find it was in 94, not 96... :D

For reference, in 94, Damon was the moral victor of the championship for me - must have been difficult driving for the team in which his team mate (Senna) was killed and with so much doubt and controversy surrounding the team.

96 was the year Damon won, albeit in a superior car to the opposition. I certainly waved my (imaginary) union jack in support of Damon. Shame he didn't retire on a high at the end of that year really...

</anorak>

As for yesterdays race:

Scummy only said those things because of the backlash against Ferrari (what did they really expect), and tried to make out he was not in on the deal. Yeah, right.

Did you see Scummy Jr look at Scummy Sr after the race? - disgust and resignment was the look I read..

Interesting how they're being called up before the FIA to explain their actions now...

Have no sympathy for RB really as he's getting paid (reportedly) $8m for driving a fast car, and no doubt he has signed up to be Scummys chief whipping boy... Sign yourself over to the devil and you get what's coming IMHO...

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Missed the race, by all acounts I didn't miss anything.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nick - I stand to be corrected, the year Damon was punted off was indeed 1994 and not 1996 as previously stated. Sorry for being so misleading.

However, going back to those drivers that have written off any chance of winning the World Championship read on. James Hunt had a total of 8 points by the end of the 7th round in Sweden(fact) and Lauda had 55 at the same stage(fact). Did "SuperStar" as he was known give up. Not on your nelly. That was a terrific season and you know what, Lauda and Hunt were best of pals. Says something for these modern day robots doesn't it.

Thats why I watch Sportscar racing with so much enthusiasm. They are gentleman and racers. Feel sorry for McNish mixed up with this bunch.

Jim

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
before we forget...............

in the good old days it was 9 points for a win and not 10 as it is today.

As Kevin my business partner put it - what RB did was score an own goal in football terms to let the other side win.

What about all those punters that put money on backing RB does the Ferrari team pay up or the FIA. What Ferrari did was bring the sport into disrepute. Ban the ******** I say.

Jim

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.