MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My name is Joe and I am a new member to this forum and now a very proud owner of my first MG - A 2003 MG ZS+ 120.

I graduated from my Computer Science degree last year and have been working as a Systems Engineer for an Information Security company since. My place of work is 20 miles away and I have been commuting by train since I graduated. Fed up with with rising train fares, late trains, no seats and walking in the rain I decided it was time to finally get a car.

The problem was that I wanted something a bit more interesting and fun than an everyday modern car. My love of MGs started with the MG B several years ago, however, a B wouldn't have been be entirely practical for me (although there will be a MG B in my garage one day!), so I started to look at other MGs, and the ZS seemed perfect.

I've been hunting for a ZS for the three months, but hadn't been in a rush to buy one - I wanted to wait until I knew that I had found the right one for me. I saw the advert for the ZS on eBay last week and it ticked all the boxes:

- Only covered 35,000 miles since new (backed up by MOTs and service history)
- 11 months MOT
- 5 months tax
- Service history
- Upgraded head gasket, new radiator and cam belt (receipts for work).
- Clean HPI except for finance on a personalised plate once on this car.

I contacted the owner to discuss the car and arranged a viewing for Saturday 7th January (yesterday). I traveled by train from Oxfordshire to Kent and spent 45 minutes looking around the car, performing the usual checks. I followed this with a 25 minute test drive and then went for a walk to think about what I had seen.

I returned and made an offer, which was followed by some friendly bartering and before I knew it we had shaken hands and I was the owner of my first MG!

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Hi and welcome

That is a very tidy looking car, enjoy.

James

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Hi there and welcome to XPF:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the welcome messages!

Took the back roads home last night... Never had such a big grin on my face when I walked in the door! :D

The car is totally standard atm, apart from an upgraded headgasket and rad. What would be the first mod you would make if this was your car? I don't want to change much - I was thinking about an induction kit of some kind.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
..........Took the back roads home last night... Never had such a big grin on my face when I walked in the door! :D.......
I've had mine for 4 years, still does that to me.

·
Watch out for Olli!!
373 Posts
Hey :D

Welcome to the site.

You've got a good looking example there. Welcome to zed ownership. As for modding its all down to personal preference as we all have different tastes and ideas. But an good induction kit is a good place to start :)

I hope you continue to have the grin on your face. My zed always makes me feel good.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
I was thinking about an induction kit of some kind.
Welcome - That is an interesting name for a street! Is that where you bought it?

For the ZS120 there is no real need for an induction kit, a performance panel filter such as those from ITG will do fine since the filter box is a decent size for a 1.8L, if you want a bit of noise then changing the exhaust back box is a better move.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome - That is an interesting name for a street! Is that where you bought it?

For the ZS120 there is no real need for an induction kit, a performance panel filter such as those from ITG will do fine since the filter box is a decent size for a 1.8L, if you want a bit of noise then changing the exhaust back box is a better move.
I live near Abingdon which is where MGs were manufactured originally. The factory is no longer in Abingdon, but the MG Car Club is near-by - I thought I would take my new MG there and take some photos.

Thanks for the advice regarding the panel filter. What back boxes would you recommend? I would like to here the car more, but I don't want it to be crazy-loud!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts