MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Intersport Racing announced today that they have purchased a new MG / Lola to contest the entire 2002 American Le Mans Series schedule in the LMP 675 class.

The #37 Intersport Racing / Banana Joe's MG Lola will make its debut at the 12 Hours of Sebring on March 16, with Jon Field, Duncan Dayton and Mike Durand as drivers.

"We are looking forward to running the full ALMS season and competing for the LMP 675 championship," said Intersport driver Clint Field. "We are excited to be working with Lola again with this new MG product. We have some great results in the Lola chassis and are looking to continue our success."

This is the second privateer Lola, KnightHawk having taken delivery of the first.

Andy Hartwell caught up with Clint at Homestead today: ""Dad tested the KnightHawk MG-Lola a few weeks ago and was so impressed with the car he just had to get one."

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Intersport are a very successful team in the USA. They mainly campaigned a Lola with a Judd JV unit in the back last year. Olly Gavin(Brit) drove for them last year in the Grand Am Championship. Won a brace of races last year.

Intersport have never raced at Le Mans as far as I know! Could this be their virgin year. Would be a nice thought.

By my calculations there are still 4 cars available to be purchased!

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
JIM said:
By my calculations there are still 4 cars available to be purchased!

Jim
Agreed - we ought to try to locate chassis.

Minimum of two built for last season (factory cars). A minimum of six built over the winter for customers. Two of which allocated - Highthawk & Intersport (chassis #'s). Jim, any ideas?

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Manfred and Erwin Kremer have been rather quiet over the close season. No news on their Le Mans plans as yet. They did run a Lola for a couple of seasons. Could they be in the frame?

Other ideas that spring to mind are: Redman-Bright, Konrad and possibly G-Force (they have sold all their Porsche's).

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Trying to find info on the other LMP675 that finished second in class during practice at Sebring. Very sparse at the moment. :(

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Intersport Website

The Intersport url - doesn't contain anything on the LMP675 Lola-MG though. Obviously a very last minute addition for them! Placed the other relevent links on the main site under AMLS

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
John Fields Intersport Entry

DRIVERS TO NARRATE WHILE RACING; HELMET CAMERA TO MAKE DEBUT IN AMERICAN LE MANS SERIES SEARS POINT TELECAST

The driver helmet camera, which has been used in SPEED Channel telecasts of two CART events this year, will be carried by drivers Jon Field and Rick Sutherland in the Intersport Racing MG Lola. The lightweight camera is installed in the driver's helmet and provides almost a mirror image of what the driver sees during the race.

"We are working to provide the most entertaining and informative coverage possible for viewers of our events," said John Evenson, Vice-President of Broadcast Administration for the American Le Mans Series. "The cooperation of SPEED Channel, Alex Job Racing and Intersport Racing is greatly appreciated."

The telecast of Sunday's race starts at 4 p.m. (U.S. Eastern time). Rick Benjamin will anchor the telecast, with Bill Adam providing analysis in the booth. Jon Beekhuis and Amanda Stretton will report from the pits during the event.

Full story from Imsa Racing Net

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
INTERSPORT RACING OVERCOMES ELECTRICAL PROBLEM TO TAKE THIRD IN CLASS AT SEARS POINT

SONOMA, Calif.- Intersport Racing took third in the LMP675 class after they went from 4th on the grid to last by the end of the first lap of the American Le Mans Series Grand Prix of Sonoma at Sears Point.

Jon Field and Rick Sutherland handled the driving, with Sutherland taking the rain-soaked first stint. The pair finished third in the LMP675 class and 23rd overall, completing 72 laps.

At the start of the 2-hour, 45-minute race, the #37 Banana Joe's Lola EX257/AER MG had an electrical problem, but the team was able to make repairs and return to the track at about the fifth lap.

"We've just got some things to learn about the car," said Field. "It's pretty frustrating sitting in the pits, but when the car ran it was awesome. It was one of the fastest cars on the racetrack, which is something nice to take home with us."

"As usual, Jon did a great job and it was a good race for him," said Sutherland, who hails from nearby Los Gatos and calls Sears Point his home track. "For me, the car was just too stiff for the wet conditions I was running in, so I had a hard time out there. But all I wanted to do was run my stint and make sure I brought the car home in one piece."

More information, including audio updates from Field and Sutherland, can be found on Intersport's website at www.IntersportRacing.com. Sutherland Racing's website is at www.SutherlandRacing.com.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Nice Colour Scheme Boys

The Intersport MG-Lola looks the bizzzzzz. Would be nice to see the machine at Le Mans for 2003. Wonder if Olly Gavin has any regrets with his move to Gm driving the Corvette in the GTS league.

As I remember I'm sure InterSport was set up by Ted Field (Dad) and he regularly campaigned a Porsche 935 K3. Also was into Indy. Stalwart driver for the team was non other than Danny Ongais (Danny on the gas). Ongais was a super star in the late 70's and early 80's. Campaigned an Interscope(as they were known at the time) Shadow DN8 as well as driving for Ensign in F1.

Jim

PS - Ted Field was/is a film producer.

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Might be going blind, but can't see any MG logos on there - shame, coz when they're trouncing the opposition, no-one will know that MG is beating everyone.... :(

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
They are there!

Nick you are now officially blind - there are 3 MG logos and 2 Lola Logo - they are positioned at the same place on all cars.

Single Octogan in the centre at the front (same size as on our cars). :D

One either side and MG log just in front of the US flag both sides of the car! :D

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
OK, I'm blind. Now you say where they are, I can just about see them.... Bit small though aren't they??? :)

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
the're there somwhere

See (!) what you mean Nick, they are hard to spot but are there. One vital point though, when MG win either outright or their class you can bet your last Euro MG will Milk it.

That day is around the corner. Le Mans I hope!

Jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts