MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I've been thinking about the days of the MGF Cup races... I was a huge fan and went to as many races as I could over the three years that it ran (1998-2000).

I was wondering if anyone has any information on these cars, the vin numbers and where they are now would be good.

It's always been a dream of mine to own one of the original cars, preferably one that was kept as an MGF and not converted to TF spec.

Any information about the cars would be useful, failing that a contact of someone who might know anything.

Thanks,
Richard.

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
I know of one that started life as a cup car, it now races in the MGOC Chamopinship owned by Paul Wisbey, and previously reace by James Perry

Google 'Paul Wisbey MGF' or James Perry MGF should throw up some images.
It now sports new paintwork, but did sport the 'Kerridges' sponsorship paint job

Paul is the number 8 car

Photography by Kelvin Fagan ©

hope this helps
Kelv

·
Registered
172 Posts
I used to own one, most are in in Australia now.

There is one for sale in the UK but a TF version.

Originally I was going to have one and convert it to a road car, but I didn't in the end.

Awesome car but a nightmare to work on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to own one, most are in in Australia now.

There is one for sale in the UK but a TF version.

Originally I was going to have one and convert it to a road car, but I didn't in the end.

Awesome car but a nightmare to work on.
Where can I see the one that's for sale currently? I've seen an expired ad on Motorsportads but that was for an MGF. Is the TF an original Cup Car with the TF adjustments?

It's a shame they've gone over to Oz :(

Anymore information on the cars would be useful. Is there an ex-MG Rover person who can give me info on the cars?

·
Mercedes W638
1,854 Posts
I owned one of the Japan Cup cars. I believe that around 40 of these cars were built at Gaydon to race in a championship for staff in Japan. These cars pre-date the Uk Cup cars. It is these cars that I think that Tomcat Racer is referring to.

The car that I owned was sold to Church Square Autos.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My old Cup car.

With the exchange rate and the Cup cars coming up for sale cheap they were snapped up and exported here.

Here are a couple at Phillip Island.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Andrew Radford has probably the last original car still racing here. He still takes it out in the MG Trophy no and again.

·
MG ZR Racer
25 Posts
Trawl the net for info and specs, a few websites still have information from back in the days when they were their own series, as for finding cars... All I know is probably half of them have come to Australia so finding some of the UK based ones is probably a lot harder given there are probably only 10-15 left over there now.

Not sure on what they were like in UK but in Australia they appear quite tricky to drive...if you look at Luti's video in his LE500 that is a bit of a handfull as well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trawl the net for info and specs, a few websites still have information from back in the days when they were their own series, as for finding cars... All I know is probably half of them have come to Australia so finding some of the UK based ones is probably a lot harder given there are probably only 10-15 left over there now.
I've seen the specs and info on some of the old MG sites... I remember going to them when the series first came about and the information has barely changed :)

What I would like is a definitive list of cars produced (VIN numbers etc if possible) and what ones are left in the UK (and where the other ones ended up if known).

Are there any people here (or know of anyone) that would have this sort of information? I would like to be able to buy one sometime in the future... with or without TF upgrade but preferably without.

Thanks for all your help so far :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts