MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While just having a "browse" around the web, yesterday, I noticed a shop advertising a pipercross induction kit for the ZT.
(which should provide a similar noise to Mostyns car that we saw at Thruxton at the weekend)

I thought... Hmmm, that sounds like a nice idea, so I forwarded the link onto Nat, who rang our insurance company. Considering the renewal came up yesterday, they wanted an additional 170 quid for the year for having it on the car. Considering my renewal quote was a bit under 900 quid, that's about a 19% loading on the insurance. Thinking about it, this isn't bad, seeing as Jerry mentioned elsewhere that on his EVO, they were mentioning a 30% loading...

Worth it do you think, or should I just go the "noisier backbox" route for now?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Nick,

Go for it but don't tell insurers or dealers.

Take it off before you have the car serviced and after any accidents. Just take it off and put the standard air cleaner box back on.

After looking under the bonnet of mine, it doesn't look to complex.

Matt.

G

·
????????????

Matt

What happens on the day you have the "big one?" There were those who agree with your philosophy when I had the EVO series, but what it means is that your insurance is now invalidated. :D

Plus, IMHO the Pipercross would cheapen the ZT. OK for the ZS.

Just my 2p.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm with Jerry on this one. If you can't afford, or don't want to pay, the extra premium, don't do the mod. The insurance is part-and-parcel of doing the mod. As Jerry said, if you don't tell you insurers, you have no insurance - and driving with no insurance is both illegal and leaves you open to huge liabilities if you cause an accident in which someone is injured. Not worth the risk, I reckon.

FWIW, I asked my insurer about the increase if I fitted the ITG kit to my ZS. They also came back with a 18-19% loading. Ironically, if Roger Parker's fuel savings are to be believed, the lower fuel bills could pay for that!

Has anyone inquired about the insurance loading for an exhaust?

S.

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jerry, are you saying the ZS is cheap? :D:D

Seriously, not in my character to not tell the insurance... Would worry all the time....

Also, why not in the character, esp. in conjunction with a noisier exhaust, would sound mean IMHO....

G

·
Nick

The ZS is cheaper than the ZT yes. But the ZS IMHO is more a Scooby equivalent where people will fit after market performance stuff! :D :D

Insurance - concur with Steves and Nicks comments entirely! I don't want to be hit by a car with questionable insurnce! :(

Personally, if the kit just gives you noise - I wouldn't bother - too tiring on long journeys. On the EVO VI, I installed a HKS Induction Kit - it did give more bhp + more noise, which I liked for a "trackcar". On the VII, I replaced the panel filter with a Ralliart freer flowing type (everyday car). Why, for power, but to keep the noise down.

I think the ZT competes with the *** 330 and to see it dripping with an "aftermarket" filter which I thought looked like poor quality after market kit on the ZS, isn't what I bought the car for. I don't want to cheapen the car with ill fitting poorly manufactured after market kit, so you won't see me moddng the engine at all! That's just my opinion!

Take a look at HKS, Blitz, Apexi ect for the Jap stuff - the quality and fit is fantastic!

Haven't seen the ITG setup, so can't comment

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn't think it looked bad myself. I will be waiting for a while before deciding what to do mind you (who knows, someone else might bring out a nicer looking or more efficient kit)...

I did think the Pipercross one looked a bit like it would actually reduce power if anything due to the angular (90 degree) entry through the shiny pipe (getting technical here!!)...

I'll agree that the Jap stuff does look quite good.. Unlikely to bring anything out for the Z range though I think (IMHO)...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts