MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

Would you consider a kit if?

• MGR had dealer fit options.

Votes: 34 50.7%
  • MGR will let you fit anything (doubtful)

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Fitted all ready.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Going to fit one regardless.

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • NO.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know of another manufacturer out there that sanction "after market" kits. Yet, some owners find the fact that MGR wouldn't sanction warranty work with them fitted incredulous.

If you want 'em fit em. But be prepared for the consequence. I think every EVO VI & VII has some kind of kit fitted. All the owners know this as an accetable risk!

Worth reading this thread before making up your mind!

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
I think that one question that needs asking is;

If I fit an aftermarket upgrade, how much of my warranty becomes void ?

For example, if I upgrade the brake set-up will my dealer refuse to sort out an eratic tick-over, or if I add an induction kit will they then refuse to look at sticking seat back which refuses to tip forwards.

The answer to this may alter some peoples thinking from 'Yes, it's a calculated risk' to 'No way'

Just a thought.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
John

The answer is "ALL" of the warranty! On the brake issue, if your brakes fail after being modified and the car is damaged. Why should MGR be liable?

As mentioned on the EVO - Colt Cars would not replace anything normally covered under "Warranty" once the car is modified. Ie. How can a battery be affected by an "Induction Kit (they wouldn't change it)?" But that's their policy, of which I understand.

Imagine, going into a dealership with a "K & N" fitted to your *** 3-series, you wouldn't? So why should MGR allow this. I don't think owners of these cars would even think about such mods!

·
Registered
388 Posts
XPower Admin! said:
I don't know of another manufacturer out there that sanction "after market" kits
Jerry,

Not too many manufacturers do sanction aftermarket kits. However, BBR used to do (may still do, I haven't owned one in a while) a Mazda approved turbo kit for the MX-5. You could fit their stage 1 kit, which boosted power by around a third, without invalidating your 3 year warranty. I also assume that the Prodrive Performance Pack doesn't void your Scooby warranty since it is purchased through and fitted by the dealers. Not sure on that one though.

In the spirit of Monogram, I think MGR should offer, at a minimum, an induction kit and an exhaust. In the mean time, I think that it is unfair of anyone to expect MGR to honour the warranty on the drivetrain of a car which has had a (non-approved) induction kit fitted.

S.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Induction Kit Fitted

I have swallowed the red pill.

A Pipercross induction kit has been fitted to my ZS 180.

Roar! what fun, extreme grin inducer.

Had a quick check with Moto-Build they seem to have lost the plot over the last 8 years or so [IMO] £128 + VAT v.steep

I saw the induction kit fitted to Richardsons [MG Rover dealer] a few weeks ago and ordered one straight away. They even fitted it in about ten minutes for me. The kit came in at less than £80. Kept all the original filter and attachments as it could easily be reversed if necessary.

Check the latest prices with them at http://www.richardsons-group.com/ They have thier own RPM motorsport division which I shall be a good customer of.

enjoy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
K & N 57i Fitted

I had a 57i induction kit fitted by K&N themselves in Warrington, as they used my car for testing their new kit the generation 2. As a result of this I got the 57i kit free and when the generation 2 comes out I will receive that free also.

The noise from under the bonnet is much more meaty and when the generation 2 kit is available for the ZR I could have an extra 10-12bhp in a ZR 105 !!!!!

With an aftermarket exhaust system attached to this I could end up with near 120bhp!!!!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Local dealers words were thus.

If you fit an induction kit (which I have) and i go and see them about brake problems, interior issues or anything other than immediate engine related problems they would be happy to look at it under warranty.

If the Induction kit can be proved to cause the problems I have presented with then it is a chargeable procedure.

I think this is fair, and would probably be the case with most local dealerships.

I may have got lucky and found a nice one, but they cannot blame faulty brakes on an induction kit, it's impossible.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Had been toying with the idea of an induction kit.

Glad I didn't have one today. Went to Meadowhall (sheffield) via M180/M18. Accident on M18 caused hold ups and standing traffic for about 40 minutes (in my case). Lots of engines overheating (no problems with mine though), but everyones engine was breathing hot (less dense) air. Even with the standard airbox breathing air from outside the engine compartment the engine was a little sluggish when we did get going I believe that it would have been even more so if the engine had been breathing in hot engine compartment air for some time.

Induction kits may be great for the open road, but if you are likely to be stuck in traffic often then, IMHO, the originally fitted airbox may be better.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
For those who regularly get caught in slow moving 'city' traffic a replacement panel filter may be the answer.

Still using the original airbox the air is ducted from outside the engine compartment, but a replacement panel filter will allow more air through and hence more power.

Most of the induction kit manufacturers (k&n, green, pipercross etc) make replacement panels.

A lot quicker to change as well (20 seconds!!!)
:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Generation 2 FIPK K&n Kit

I had a call off K&N today and they informed me that the first generation2 induction kit for the MG ZR has arrived in the country from the States.

I am going to their premises on monday to have my 57i kit changed for the new one. Anticipated power to be 7-10bhp increase on standard.

Will get rolling road output and let you know on monday.:) :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Cost Of Generation2 kit

I am getting mine free because they did their testing for this kit on my car six months ago.

I will ask them the retail price when I see them on monday:)

·
Registered
567 Posts
JLD said:
Still using the original airbox the air is ducted from outside the engine compartment
JLD - Sorry but you are completely wrong! Have you ever looked to see where the cold air feed goes too on you ZS (you have a 120 right???) Its goes under the battery and appears back on the right hand side of the battery back into the engine bay??? I would think this will suck in the same 'warm air' as an induction kit. If you dont beleive me, go and take a look!

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
I am well aware of the routing of the air feed for the airbox. I have, however, having run with both a replacement panel, and an open cone, I can say that the air intake for the airbox is situated in an area that is significantly cooler than the area where an open cone has to be sited.

The airflow under the bonnet is significantly warmed by the proximity of the radiator and exhaust manifold, the area behind the battery is effectively shielded from this and is cooler.

If unsure, after a good run feel the side of the airbox near the engine, and then feel the area around the side of the battery.

During a long run at high speed the air around the engine is moving much more and has less time to be warmed, but in slow moving traffic (as in town) the air tends to be warmed, resulting in better peformance from the original airbox (but less noise).

·
Registered
567 Posts
TBH I cant see how it can be any cooler

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Matt, I'm not saying don't fit an induction kit. I had one on for ages and would probably refit it for trackdays.

What I'm saying is make sure that you have a good COLD air supply directed to it as the filter will sit very near the radiator and exhaust manifold.

Have a look at photos from rolling road days. Cars have their bonnets open and a big fan in front to simulate the airflow of moving at speed. Ever wondered why?

·
Registered
237 Posts
JLD said:
Have a look at photos from rolling road days. Cars have their bonnets open and a big fan in front to simulate the airflow of moving at speed. Ever wondered why?
Because the standard cooling fans on most cars are not man enough to cool an engine on full power, so you have to use an external blower to try and help the situation, also helps with some additional air to the filter but its not the prime reason.

Our Mini Miglia race cars don't have cooling fans and rely on the forced air to keep them cool, but 20 minutes on the rollers and there cooking even with a big blower in front.

Stu

·
Registered
515 Posts
Bizarrely enough, i was at a RR day on sunday in Essex , Witham, Engine Advantages.....very accurate new RR....highly recommend them

It was noted that the 2.8 VR6's, 3three of them all put out the same figures, within .1 to .3 bhp......One had a standard airbox, one had a standard airbox and an aftermarket panel and the other had a BMC CAI. They all had the same mods other than that

Would seem to suggest that sometimes youll be better of with just replacing the panel filter

just me 2p

Steve

1 - 20 of 44 Posts