MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everybody wondering if u can help very recently became the proud owner of an 06 mk2 checked for all the usual problems thought i'd bought a perfect example until i was cleaning it earlier and i noticed theres a large puddle of water under the carpet in the passenger footwell soaked right through the carpet and is starting to smell damp can this be solved? surley i dont have to mop it up every time it rains ? lol any help would be much appreciated cheers

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
Check the water run off guttering around the windscreen and bonnet for leaves.

·
MKII MGZS180
2,314 Posts
Mine has a pool of water under the passenger side carpet too. Might be a mk2 thing. Mine smells damp but i fabreeze the carpet to make it smell better.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Mine has a pool of water under the passenger side carpet too. Might be a mk2 thing. Mine smells damp but i fabreeze the carpet to make it smell better.
Its not a mk2 thing mate mine is fine . You wanna try and sort that asap coz if your just using fabreeze to freshen it up well your gonna end up with no floor eventualy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no no sunroof for me had that problem on my zr made sure i didnt get a zs with a sunroof lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
My MK2 has a sunroof, but doesn't leak inside!
You should get that looked at asap, especially with winter coming up.
Fabreez is just treating the symptom, not the cause.

I do ocasionally get a small puddle in the spare wheel well. No idea where it is coming in though :dunno: I sould probably get that looked at too...

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Common causes for leaks are
1) sunroof drain blocked, 4 tubes running down from inside sunroof hole
2)Around rear lights
3)Boot seal
4)Aircon drain not connected to underside of aircon unit under dash
5)Valance under wipers filled with leaves so water can't go down drain
6)less common but damproof membrane missing from behind door card
please add to the list if you know of any others

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Both my mk2's have suffered leaks into the front passenger footwell because of a seam around the heater intake being unsealed.

I wish I'd taken some pics when I fixed it, but essentially you need to remove the plastic cover at the base of the windscreen - the bit where the wipers are mounted and check the heater intake on the passenger side of the scuttle, there will be a raised lip which is spot welded and not seam sealed, sealing it should cure the problem.

·
MKII MGZS180
2,314 Posts
Do either of you have sunroofs?
No sunroof for me. I use MG rubber mats and the underside of front and rear passenger mats are sometimes wet due to the damp on the carpet. When in the winter it freezes. Majority of time I remove the mats so the carpet can breath.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
No sunroof for me. I use MG rubber mats and the underside of front and rear passenger mats are sometimes wet due to the damp on the carpet. When in the winter it freezes. Majority of time I remove the mats so the carpet can breath.
Mate - if you don't resolve the problem one day the floor will fall out!

You proberbly spend longer dealing with the result of the leak than you would repairing the cause.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im really greatfull for all ure suggestions im gonna have a look at the weekend at what uve all suggested and hopefully ill get back to yous with the some news lol.btw Jay180 the spare wheel well is easily solved, i had a zr with that problem and my dads old 45 had the same issue but its easily solved with a bit of gripfill believe it or not lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pete T16, cheers mate what do i seal it with? would silicone do it ? or am i talkin daft please excuse me im a joiner not much cop with oil n nuts n bolts lol

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
No, don't use silicone, it has a bad effect on steel, Sikaflex polyurethane sealants are best.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts