MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Impreza Turbo with lowering residuals, good reliability and relatively low servicing costs, is becoming the XR3i/RS of the modern day. As such, it is increasingly being bought by younger drivers incapable of safely handling the speed. Thus, the logical outcome of this is that insurance companies will eventually desert the Impreza in droves, just as they did with the XR3i/RS models of the past.

Debate.... :D:D

·
Registered
314 Posts
We all know about the Scooby's performance and handling capabilities but lets face it,it aint the best looking car in the world is it?,either in its current or previous form and the interior is simply dreadful for a £20000 car.Perhaps the Rover 45 aint so bad after all!!.Sorry,its all go and no show.

G

·
Hi Guys

I personally think the Imprezza is an impressive car for the money. Just read that you can buy a 300bhp model for £26k. :D

However, I do prefer Brit Bruisers even if they are unrelaiable - TVR's. You can't beat the V8 whail or lovely 6 cylinder song!

·
Registered
214 Posts
was thinking about buying a used scooby instead of my zr. i just love the noise they make! insurance was a bit of a problem though, plus uve got to be realy carefull where you park it, theiving scum love em! (for obvious reasons!)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well I've just recently bought myself one of the new UK Impreza STi Prodrive models (see http://www.iainbyoung.co.uk/my_scoob.htm).

My brother has got a ZT and it could almost keep up with my old Impreza turbo in a straight line (one of the reasons I had to upgrade :D), but this new model is quick. 0-60 in about 5 seconds, phenominal handling, and Prodrive are bringing out a performance upgrade in the not too distant future :D

To get back on subject....insurance is a problem though. The STi is classed as group 20, and most of the quotes I was getting were circa £1200 (and that's a 30 year old with 7+years ncb). Finally managed to get it down to £690 fully comp though. The older standard models aren't too bad to insure as long as you don't buy a Jap import or live in London!!!

[Edited to mention that I've jut noticed that it was my brother who started this thread :rolleyes: )

Cheers,
Iain

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Didn't take you long to find the Impreza comments Iain... :)

G

·
Welcome Iain (another Young).

I too considered the STi last Nov, but bought the other Jap 4wd. Now sold. Guess it must be Mica Blue. :D

PS. Don't read this weeks Autocar Review of the EVO VII end of term report - you will not be amused. Unless of course you bought an EVO. :D

BTW: The ZT190 is not in the same league as the EVO, but it is cheaper to run. The EVO acceleration was phenomonal, as I know the STi is too. Maybe have something BRITISH soon to pulverise any Jap 4 wheel car (that's 4 wheel - not just 4wd).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi there :D

I too considered the EVO, but I don't like the VII as much as the VI, it was more expensive (to buy, insure and to run) than the STi, and I've read in loads of places that whilst it's a phenominal track day car, it's not something you'd want to live with every day. As both Nick and myself work for the same firm and commute fom Swindon to Newbury every day this was a major consideration.

When I've finished paying for it, I may well consider getting a two seater. Perhaps a TVR or MGF X-Power (if they ever produce one?), but thats gonna be a few years down the line...:(

Btw, I don't read car reviews, so no worries there ;)

Iain

G

·
Iain

Pleased you don't read reviews. I won't get into the EVO VII v STi debate - because there wouldn't be a winner. You enjoy an STi - I the EVO series.

I think once you buy a brand you become brand loyal - look at us with MGR's.

However, there is one point I would like to add the EVO VII is so far ahead of the VI you wouldn't believe it (had both). The VI was tuned to 330bhp, but I preferred the VII for its comfort. Running costs, yep costly on tyres. Fuel consumption OK, but SUL and a stupid sized fuel tank.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Iain you also haven't mentioned that you were once a loyal Rover owner... ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I won't get drawn into the "my car is better than yours" debate either. It's one of the reasons I've got really cheesed off with scoobynet lately :( I really like my Subaru but it doesn't stop me appreciating other marques.

I really fancy the idea of that new X-Power ZT that's due out later in the year for instance..... :D

Iain

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Nat :D

Another from the Young clan speaks :p

That's true. I had a Rover 418SLD Turbo for several years. It was a really nice car, and I only got rid of it because I wanted something a bit quicker (i.e. my first Impreza)

Iain.

G

·
Iain

I know, I too won't get into "my cars better than yours." I endorse your last post on the issue - PERIOD.

Imagine is all running round in the same vehicles.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yet another lurking scoob owner...

Impreza the new XR3i ? :eek:

Definitely. :(

Although I own one and love it to bits, I'll soon be embarressed to drive it thanks to the bad rep it'll soon own (or already does?).

I spent £25K on mine, coz I wanted a safe, fast, car to get me to work anywhere at anytime - Instead of, say a TVR. :rolleyes:
(I was self-employed).

After my previous TR7V8 I wanted a V8, or at least an engine with character. The Subaru fitted the bill (especially now with a partial de-cat).

Next dream car? ZT 385, of course...

G

·
Squizz - good choice of cars. The ZT385 will be awesome. I miss the TR8 - fantastic car - used to have real fun with it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Rover V8 Power...

Xpower - I seriously WANT another V8, but I'm getting married this year so funds are stretched. I'm hoping to get something next year to be used as a track-car and occasional road-car. I want a coupe' shell with a Rover V8, IRS, RWD...Give me something to look for over the next few months.

Even considered a Porsche 924/944 V8 conversion.

Not very Rover Group, I know... :rolleyes:

G

·
You sound in the same mould as me, but younger. :D

Once you have had a V8 nothing compares. Oh! forgot
the 6R4 does. Check out the 6R4 thread and click on John Prices Sunseeker Rally. ****** fantastic.

Got a mate who has one of the last 20v Quattros 20v for sale (H-reg) - very tempted as a fun car - £9k he wants for it.

No, the new "MG" are for enthusiasts - petrol heads. Which means we all have interests in performance cars. :D

The 385 desciption is awesome - I've been banging on about it for ages. Now I hear that there are a couple of 6R4's coming up - I'm confused. Can I get 'em both I ask?? Wife will have to go full time to work. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.