MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened all of a sudden tonight. Went to get in the car and...

1: Remote key is not opening the doors/demobilizing.
2: Replaced fob battery. Still no No luck
3: Opened door with key got inside and noticed compartment light was really weak.
4: turned key in the ignition and the dash lights came on very weakly along with that two-tone noise the immobilizer makes.
5: Switching the Headlights on and off makes odd beeping noise too! Sidelights come on but very weak.
6: I can hear the ticking noise when I turn the key in the ignition and hold it there but of course car doesn't start.
7: I can't even open the boot lid with the fob.
8: Noticed that red alarm light on the dash was not flashing when I first tried to open the door.

What do you think's going on? If there's enough power in the battery to turn sidelights on (albeit, very weakly) surely there's enough power for the alarm light on the dash to have been flashing. Or not? I can't see any reason for the battery to be dead anyway.

Guess I'll have to get hold of a battery charger before going any further but somehow I doubt this is the root of the problem. Looks like I'm stuffed for the short term either way.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Simple, its a flat battery.

Get a good charger on the battery or buy a new one as most likely the cells will be dry and collapse which has killed the battery.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Simple, its a flat battery.

Get a good charger on the battery or buy a new one as most likely the cells will be dry and collapse which has killed the battery.
Hope that's all it is. I always tend to think the worst.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Check all the earth points as well, just to make sure the new battery doesnt go flat!!

I bought a new Exide last year, within a month it was showing the same probs. Turned out it was a duff one, replaced with a new one. Just goes to show even new ones can let you down.

:wave:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. Bought a charger for it and it's charging now.

Possibly a Dumb question but what's the difference between the slow charge and fast charge? I mean why would you choose a slow charge? Is it more reliable? Do you get a fuller charge? what? I'm slow charging to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorted and back on the road! Amazed the radio didn't prompt for code after 24 hours without battery. Thought they were supposed to reset themselves?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts