MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have just sold my car and now looking (been informed) that we need to get a fairly sensible family car. After having sports cars since I passed my test I cant bring myself to go and purchase a 306 tdi thing!

After looking about I have noticed that ZS 180's seem to be in budget (got around £1200 - 1500 to spend) and pretty good running costs.

These two have caught my attention and wondered if anyone on here knew of them?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3782423.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3855385.htm

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

My ZS180 has been the family car for the last 4 years and follows on from a V6 espace and a 3.5 range rover with extra seating in the back (and a R100 for 3 months). I've been able to down size as more children leave home.
We have also been on holiday in Europe 5 times and once in the UK with the kids and 2 week long driving holidays without them.

It works well with 2 or 3 teenagers (and their parents).
It works well as a tourer, I regularly do 4 or 500 mile trips.
It works well as a resonably nippy car.

I don't know either of the cars listed (and I personally prefer a saloon anyway) but both do look very good value for money, I prefer the colour of the blue one but the silver one is better spec with the induction and the sheddist replacment clutch hydraulics.

James

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,

Good to hear that they do make good family cars. My TVR goes on Friday and it will be a year or two at the least before I can get another weekend car (need to move house first) so I thought an MG would be best of both worlds for the budget.

·
Registered
600 Posts
you could proberly pick up a realitvely tidy mk2 for bout 1500... i prefer the mk2s interior and you get the climate control which you dont get in mk1 ..

but i reckon the body work is a bit better quality on the mk1

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
If there is no proof that ALL THREE BELTS have ever been changed then you MUST make this your priority so allow around £550 for this work and peace of mind.

·
Registered
281 Posts
you could proberly pick up a realitvely tidy mk2 for bout 1500... i prefer the mk2s interior and you get the climate control which you dont get in mk1 ..

Not that easy! I still havent got one yet :(

·
Registered
731 Posts
the mk2's can be had for little over a grand in the trade (and struggle to sell for much more), as with any used car, expect wheel edges, bumper corners etc to be done as smart repairs.

If your looking at dealers, for a mint one with belts done you'll be looking nearer 2-2500 for a mk2.

mk2's are 54plate and newer (maybe a couple of 04's around)

mk2's have the big bodykit - flared arches, wing vents, different bumpers and headlights to the mk1.

cambelts aren't known for snapping like the ts alfas, but need doing either on time or milage.
you can get the belts done nearer the 400quid mark if you know the right people.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Silly question do the Mk1's have Air con at all or is it just the Mk2's? Not that it bothers me too much but would be a good plan is we go abroad.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Silly question do the Mk1's have Air con at all or is it just the Mk2's? Not that it bothers me too much but would be a good plan is we go abroad.
Mk Is have aircon and more reliable electrics than MkIIs

·
Registered
600 Posts
No way I could do without the AC. I wonder how we ever managed without it.
i know i remeber buying my zr a couple of years ago and i didnt notice aircon wasnt working until it got hot over a bank holiday weekend !! and had a long drive to southport...all i can say is it was hot! love the climate control think its brilliant...specially when i had a volvo c30 dual climate control even better wish the zs had dual.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts

Personally I prefer most of the mk1, especially the interior and only miss the climate control until I get all the bits and fit it in the mk1.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
If there is no proof that ALL THREE BELTS have ever been changed then you MUST make this your priority so allow around £550 for this work and peace of mind.
The belts are due at 90k or 6 years so both should have been done on time.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
The mk1 180 has simple aircon, the mk2 has climate control.

The mk2 system is better but more prone to sensor failure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts