MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mk1 ZS180 Saloon XPG
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we've all seen the ebay ad from the guy selling his ZS180 and claiming it produces 285 bhp and dismissed it as utter tosh.

However, what if somebody did manage to extract that sort of bhp from a KV6 then simply plonked the engine back into an otherwise standard car, how would that car then handle? Guys with far more knowledge than me of technical stuff like this may know but I would have thought it would torque steer like a pig and then understeer into the nearest hedge. I can imagine burnt clutches and front tyres lasting about 2000 miles as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
To be honest, the 180 has such well sorted brakes abd suspension I don't see that side of things being a problem. Likewise, a clutch on a fwd will only take so much punishment before the wheels spin.

Only thing I can think of that would be really beneficial is a limited slip diff.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Well having driven a supercharged zs with 260bhp i can honestly say that the std car stands up pretty well. Putting power down doesnt seem to be an issue, however, the std clutch is marginal over 250bhp !

Brakes are ok, if you fit a decent pad. Suspension still copes well on a road going car.

George

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
I think we've all seen the ebay ad from the guy selling his ZS180 and claiming it produces 285 bhp and dismissed it as utter tosh.

However, what if somebody did manage to extract that sort of bhp from a KV6 then simply plonked the engine back into an otherwise standard car, how would that car then handle? Guys with far more knowledge than me of technical stuff like this may know but I would have thought it would torque steer like a pig and then understeer into the nearest hedge. I can imagine burnt clutches and front tyres lasting about 2000 miles as well.
it would be fun but would be compromised without many supporting modifications imo.
Imagine what mgr would have added to the car if they had made a 285 bhp zs, at the very least.....
uprated clutch and lightweight flywheel
some big 4 pot stoppers on the front and maybe even a vented larger set up at the back
a quaife lsd or similar
wider track with different size wheels allowing wider stickier tyres
revised suspension, dampers and geometry settings
etc
then you would have had all the extras that made it look and feel special , like a pair of recaro bucket seats, twin exhausts, deeper spoilers and bodykit revisions etc.
Would have been awesome wouldnt it !!!...if only hey.

You could make a 285 bhp kv6 and the linear delivery would be fairly kind and quite tractable imo for road, but if you wanted to use that power properly the rest of the car would let you down very quickly.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
In short it'd be ok, but could be made better. And why waste that performance by keeping everything else standard

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
i'd definitely have to seriously consider fitting them sporty wind deflectors that people put on to SPRUCE there ZS's up a bit [probably] Wouldnt want that pesky wind blowing in and knocking the ash of the top of my *** @ 285BHP. No way, scary stuff.
lol - try driving a 310bhp vectra vxr with the standard suspension still in place!

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
One of the chaps who developed the ZT 260 said MGR had planned on tuning the KV6 to get much more power from it but he said the KV6 has very limited tuning potential. If they bought in Stang V8's i would imagine they thought it cheaper than trying to get that kind of power from the KV6!!??
As long as getting 285bhp didn't involve a Turbo (or 2) i would think the standard car would be ok. Bigger brakes and diff would make it a whole lot better though imo.

·
won hay-tee
607 Posts
I can explain the mystery of this ZS.

I have a mate called Phil, known him for about 15 years, he bought a clio 172 when they were quite new (long time ago)

Anyway he went out racing about as you do as a young whipper snapper, and he had a few run ins with various scoobys, mainly K reg early imports and the odd UK car, this are all around 205/220bhp when you consider that at the time, next to nobody even used octane booster and a lot of scooby drivers were running 95 ron *shudders*

He did not know why, but this particular 172 was far to fast, it beats everything!

Anyway, I bought my 276 impreza, and my mate phil was hassling me for a race, he had already took down my other mate in his UK scooby and he was convinced that he could "blow all scoobys"

Honestly i was not interested, i really was not, but he hassled me at work, then told everybody at work i was scared :hammerhea he had raced one and did what he thought was well, so now he could beat them easy, anyway he finished work 10 mins before me on late shift (staggered department shifts in the factory) i walk outside at 11.35pm to find him in the car park, revving his engine and flashing his foglights LOL:irked:

Anyway, we ventured out into the night for a laugh, i asked him if he wanted a quick blast from an standing start, he told me not to be stupid as that was not fair, ok fair enough, lets run from a side by side point on a roundabout exit leading down a dual carriageway.

I utterly destroyed him.

His face = :getcoat:

It was awesome, so we went again, here is your coat Phil :getcoat:

Just for a laugh i gave it a full blown drag start from some lights on the dual carrige way, his face LMFAO

He could not work out why, excuses started, FFS Phil you have been racing slow versions, you thought you were winning some kind of monumental event, your car is ****, leave me alone"

He then bought an Evo 5, the pattern was repeated, he thought bought an FQ300, you can guess where this ended up (i had done a few mods)

This 285 MG lunatic, has had a little race with an underpowered car, and now thinks his mystical chariot is FAAAAR greater than it should be, it is not, he got a good run on a ****ty car, nothing to see here, time to move along.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts