MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(a discussion on the MG6)
Originally Posted by andycolm
Really? Its a dull looking family saloon clone with 10 year old tech that is at least double the price it should be. Its making a mockery of the badge and the heritage attached to it.

Reply by the antipodean fool:
Surely you're talking about the ZS 120? Possibly the dullest car made in the 90s with different bumpers, 20 year old tech and probably should have been on sale for about 5000 pounds, but they asked closer to 15.

Now that, if anything, is making a mockery of the badge and the heritage attached to it.

Don't you just love it when an aussie knob talks complete balls :lol:
When did they make the ZS in the 90s and what cars did this fool think were for sale at less than £5k?

The only MG made in the 90s with different bumpers was the RV8 surely - hadn't the MMMs more or less finished by the 90s?

Quite why Mr SC doesn't have a word with some people over there I don't know...

·
Registered
600 Posts
about the zs 180...not the new mgs lol

do you find most people say 'its a rover' ' its a nail its basically a 45' i think the zs is so underestimated!

i find it frustrating when people say that cuz its very reliable its quick and its got great handling i dont have problems with mine.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
ZS best kept secret, love my derv to bits, doesnt bother me what they say or snigger. Great cars, fantastic handling.

:wave:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I once gave a lift to a mate who drove an old Rover 45. He kept saying my Zed was "just like his Rover". I'm cool about these things so agreed that some of the underpinnings were similar. Then we got to an open road and I just floored it.

He didn't say anything for the rest of the journey. lol.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Have to laugh now about this sort of thing. There was a time when it made my blood boil.

I have sometimes been accused of being an idiot on other car enthusiasts' web sites. Mainly because unlike the vast majority of my car consuming fellow Brits, I like and prefer to buy new and old MGs and Rovers. As I have done for close on fifty years now. They prefer to buy so called 'superior' foreign product and castigate me for my choice of cars.

On more than one occasion I have been involved in a heated discussion which almost came to blows until our better halves stepped in and got us to cool it. That was at a neighbourhood New Years Eve party. I alone there with the MGs and rovers. All the others alien product buyers. BMWs, Mercedes, VWs, Volvos, Alfas you name it and even a Porsche Boxster. The Boxster owner is or, should I say was, the "Big I am" type. "I drive a quality car ... a new Porsche" and he was most vociferous castigating me for my choice of cars going on incessantly about superior German build quality... or, as my dear old Dad once would have it... Gerry Built ... :)

Move on a year or two and I take delivery of a new "They all do that" MG ZS120+ in 2003. Soon after, Boxster driver's son comes over and relates the story of his Dad's car. Apparently the Boxster self-ignited on the nearby M5 and burnt out its engine leaving Dad stranded on the hard shoulder.

By coincidence, a few days later, whilst waiting in a queue to collect an undelivered parcel in the local sorting office, got talking to a chap who arrived in a mint 220 Rover coupe. Helped to pass the time explaining I also had a turbo 220 coupe. I then had a tap on the shoulder. Boxster Dad was behind me in the queue. He related the sad tale of his fire damaged Boxster. I did not let on that his son had already told me. Now did I voiciferously take advantage of the situation on a pay back time basis. No I did not. Rover and MG drivers have a tad more class than that... :) Simply replied 'appens although I was tempted to say I bet that engine fire was of superior german build quality.... ;) Apparently, repairs to his superior German car cost about the same as I paid for my MG ZS new! He also asked if I'd had any problem with my 'inferior' car choice. I explained that my wife and two sons had just returned in it from touring the continent ~ where my son casually let slip he cruised it well into three figures for long periods on those continental roads ... the rascal ... and the ZS never missed a beat. it still hasn't and will be nine years old in a few weeks time.

We've attended several friendly neighbourhood get togethers since. He NEVER now has anything negative to say about my choice of cars. He still drives a German badge now ... some VAG product...

One of the few things I agree with Clarkson about, those pendulous Porsches, tarted up Beetles ... I'll mention that next time... :)

Funny old game folks and their cars.

·
MKII MGZS180
2,314 Posts
It's unfortunate that the perception is German cars are the best. Out on the streets nowadays every other 2 cars are German be it BMW, Audi or VW. I have to say its getting boring but I do like the rarity of a mk2 ZS.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'd laugh in the face of anyone who told me a VW is a quality product.
Just ask them how many times it'd been taken back to the dealers from new.

And theres an amusing point about the mk2 ZS, not that many people know what the hell it is. And for the 'car types' that do recognise it and call it a Rover (the inference being the connotations of said stereotype, rather than it being a rover product, which I suppose it is), you just get to laugh at them and tell them they have no idea about cars. That'll p*ss them off hehe.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Superior product.

Been listening to Radio Five Live this morning as I usually do. Topic of the day: British manufacturing and the state it is in.

Just heard the following in a delightful northern accent from a R5Live phone in-contributor.

Northern phone-in contributor said:
If you're driving home from work in your German car, you walk in the house on your Belgium carpet and turn on your Korean TV.. YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM YOU MUPPET!
What a star! Could not have put it better myself. They've replayed it at least once more and his follow up.

follow up said:
Yes choice until you are made redundant.
It's not simply bad luck or pure circumstance the way things are with the UK's current very poor economy. Until UK folks realise the reality of all these things the fate of this nation is both assured and deserved.

The reason Germany is not in a similar state, quite the opposite in fact, is the folks there have got their priorities right. It really is that simple.

I live in hope... but, not much .... :(

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Think its a fault of the British, anything British Made, British Teams, seems that the Brits love to knock it, or them.

Used to be the snobbery factor, I've got a German/Jap made import because I can afford it!! You have to drive a inferior British made whatever, because thats all you can afford.

If we had supported our home made products we might still have a car industry, not just making engines and assembling knock down kits.

My old dad hit it on the head, he used to train apprentices at DeHavillands, when they stopped apprentice training. Not just there but most of the large engineering establishments. He said that would be the end of manufacturing and once all the old boys with the skills had died off, there wouldnt be any new engineers to follow on.

Since then we have lost nearly all the heavy engineering and manufacturing industry we did have.

Bit off the subject, but thats why our MG's get knocked by those that dont know. Thats in my opinion.

:wave:

·
Registered
516 Posts
It's unfortunate that the perception is German cars are the best. Out on the streets nowadays every other 2 cars are German be it BMW, Audi or VW. I have to say its getting boring but I do like the rarity of a mk2 ZS.
Yes, quite.

Next time anyone makes a longish motorway trip, make a mental note of the cars you see stranded on the hard shoulder with their bonnets up. Observing those some may be surprised. Not me, the myth that foreign is always best was destroyed by the best evidence available to me many years ago. That evidence of my own ears and eyes.

Much of the serious current problems facing this nation now are self-inflicted.

One puzzling thing, on my local roads in and about Gloucestershire lately, considering the last one rolled off the production line seven years ago back in April 2005, I am amazed to see so many MGs and Rovers about all running well and in very good condition. Not complaining, nice to see. All now at least seven years old, many much older.

However, as mentioned, there are a huge number of new German cars infesting UK roads today and new French ones too. Several neighbours who for years had a succession of new Austins, Rovers and MGs, now have Renaults, VWs and even a Chevrolet on their drives where Longbridge, Cowley and Abingdon built cars once stood.

It's a sign ... and it's not good to see .... :(

·
Registered
385 Posts
Most unreliable car I ever had was a VW golf even the garage gave up trying to fix the problems. For no apparent reason it would open all the windows about 4"!! Total pain when it's raining and you get back to the car park to fine them open.
Also took less than 5 seconds fir a little [email protected] to break the door handle and open the door, the receptionist whatched it happen she could not believe how quick he got in.

Mate bought a brand new golf tdi the high powered one, he was adamant it was not as quick as the one he test drove and was returning poor mpg. It took him to the point he had a paddy in the showroom to the area manager, thru keys across the room and said he was going to leave untill it was sorted.
Turned out the engine was shot and could not be repaired.

Sorry had BMW and audi's and found them no better tha
Anything else in fact the most reliable car I ever had was a Sri130 which was sold with 170000m on clock and still on the original clutch :))

P.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Does make me laugh when these so called petrol heads comment about our mg,s saying all this its just a rover and stuff they just havent a clue. i just say one thing to them . Tiff needell once said its possibly the best handling front wheel drive car he has driven and then my next bit is oh and jeremy clarkson said there good fun you wanna try one . Then i laugh and say thats coming from people who know .

·
Passionate about MGR.Cars.
4,082 Posts
Have to laugh now about this sort of thing. There was a time when it made my blood boil.

I have sometimes been accused of being an idiot on other car enthusiasts' web sites. Mainly because unlike the vast majority of my car consuming fellow Brits, I like and prefer to buy new and old MGs and Rovers. As I have done for close on fifty years now. They prefer to buy so called 'superior' foreign product and castigate me for my choice of cars.

On more than one occasion I have been involved in a heated discussion which almost came to blows until our better halves stepped in and got us to cool it. That was at a neighbourhood New Years Eve party. I alone there with the MGs and rovers. All the others alien product buyers. BMWs, Mercedes, VWs, Volvos, Alfas you name it and even a Porsche Boxster. The Boxster owner is or, should I say was, the "Big I am" type. "I drive a quality car ... a new Porsche" and he was most vociferous castigating me for my choice of cars going on incessantly about superior German build quality... or, as my dear old Dad once would have it... Gerry Built ... :)

Move on a year or two and I take delivery of a new "They all do that" MG ZS120+ in 2003. Soon after, Boxster driver's son comes over and relates the story of his Dad's car. Apparently the Boxster self-ignited on the nearby M5 and burnt out its engine leaving Dad stranded on the hard shoulder.

By coincidence, a few days later, whilst waiting in a queue to collect an undelivered parcel in the local sorting office, got talking to a chap who arrived in a mint 220 Rover coupe. Helped to pass the time explaining I also had a turbo 220 coupe. I then had a tap on the shoulder. Boxster Dad was behind me in the queue. He related the sad tale of his fire damaged Boxster. I did not let on that his son had already told me. Now did I voiciferously take advantage of the situation on a pay back time basis. No I did not. Rover and MG drivers have a tad more class than that... :) Simply replied 'appens although I was tempted to say I bet that engine fire was of superior german build quality.... ;) Apparently, repairs to his superior German car cost about the same as I paid for my MG ZS new! He also asked if I'd had any problem with my 'inferior' car choice. I explained that my wife and two sons had just returned in it from touring the continent ~ where my son casually let slip he cruised it well into three figures for long periods on those continental roads ... the rascal ... and the ZS never missed a beat. it still hasn't and will be nine years old in a few weeks time.

We've attended several friendly neighbourhood get togethers since. He NEVER now has anything negative to say about my choice of cars. He still drives a German badge now ... some VAG product...

One of the few things I agree with Clarkson about, those pendulous Porsches, tarted up Beetles ... I'll mention that next time... :)

Funny old game folks and their cars.

A very interesting story. Not quite sure that I would have been able to keep quiet when Boxter driver was in the queue though!

I was talking to a guy last week who back in September 2005 I applied a Diamondbrite Package to his brand new VW Golf. I asked him how his Golf was to which he replied many comments which I can't write here. In the end after I believe 14 times taking it back to the dealer told them if it wasn't fixed this time he would drive it through the showroom doors on fire! The service supervisor said it is fixed for you & theguy said "Are you absolutely sure bearing in mind what I have said" & the service guy said I had better test it overnight & lo & behold it broke down again.
They bought it back & gave him another which he isn't overly enamoured with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts