MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any genius out there found a way of stopping ZS door handles getting frozen..I am using deicer and a clothes peg to ease the doors open..must be a better way.....but dont break handles....just wondered if there are any clever ways!!!!!

·
A boffin and proud of it
1,893 Posts
Silicone spray seems to help a little - Handles must be dry first. Also silicone spray around the door seals stops the doors freezing shut.

Most deicer contains a fair bit of water so if it does not dry out in a mechanism like a handle or lock, then it will freeze again. Also most de icers contain alcohol that does tend to break down grease.

·
won hay-tee
607 Posts
The past few mornings have been a right old lottery for me, trying to decide which door is actually going to open :D

I jumped in my car yesterday after paying my staff and flew home while covered in snow, dohh!

It must have started to condense on the inside of the glass after i got out, woke up this morning and i had bloody ice on the inside of the windscreen and drivers door glass.

Never had that before!

·
Registered
317 Posts
It's not the handles thats the problem in my experience its the silly locking system that keeps getting frozen. My mk1 180 did it and now my mk1 120 does it, the drivers door lock just gets frozen down and it takes a 20-25 minute journey to unfreeze the lock so I can pop it up :) Rovers...

·
Registered
581 Posts
I sprayed WD40 on mine and it's been okay up until now. Had a problem with the passenger side one where it wouldn't return - so the door wouldn't click shut ...
LOL

Couldn't open the fuel cap last week though. Had to prise it open with my key ... ahem!

·
Longbridge !
3,306 Posts
Any genius out there found a way of stopping ZS door handles getting frozen..I am using deicer and a clothes peg to ease the doors open..must be a better way.....but dont break handles....just wondered if there are any clever ways!!!!!
1.) Fill empty coke bottle with warm water.
2.) Pour over door handle.

·
Since 1987.
92 Posts
My doors are frozen shut every morning in this icy weather at the moment!

This morning I was late so I just got some warm water from the kettle and poured it around the edge of the door and over the handle. That worked alright but I still had to pry it open with my fingers since the door handles on my ZS are so bloody weak and flex even when I open them on a normal day.

To be honest, a car cover is great in this weather. Little or no frost on the whole car in the morning and the doors open first time. Shame I got mine wet the other day and need to dry it out before I can use it again...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts