1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fao CK

CAR HOT HATCH OF YEAR TEST!
CUPRA...........
The ibiza cupra was back to the real world with a bang. and a crash. and a shudder of cheap plastic trim. a glance under the arches proves the ibiza is equipped with springs and dampers. but you've often got sever doubts from the drivers seat. in many ways the cupra is the most disappointing car here. for the money, you can't go faster, at least not in straight lines. and vw's generic 1.8 litre 20 valve turbo charged for is as nice as always with whooshy, addictive torque. theres loads of kit, reasonable looks and a big useful cabin. that's the limit of the praise, though reasonable in isolation, and on smooth roads, the ibiza just can't get close to the rest of the talent here. it feels wooden and disinterested, the steering is vague and completely devoid of feel, theres plenty of grip but little reward to be wrought from surfing it. torque steer is acute at lower speeds, uniquely among all the cars here and optimism results in endless, squeally understeer. i can't think of anything else nice to say, so i'll shut up.
MG ZR160
Bringing us finally to the MG ZR160. John Simisters bubbling enthusiasm on last months launch had raised hopes very high. and the yellow peril just about managed to live up to the hype. sure, underneath lurks a poorly disguised rover 25. but that doesn't matter. the bight yellow paint and distinctly mdf body kit of our test car threatened to breach the boundaries of common decency. but that dosen't matter. the cabin is black and miserable and feels a positive step back from the heady heights of the maestro. but even that doesn't matter. because this is one seriously hard core hop hatch. the biggest part of the experience is the engine. hotter versions of the k series have always been fun, but the 158bhp vvc unit in the zr is the best yet, it revs, seemingly, to infinity(well, 7800rpm), piling on speed with stead fast purpose. come to the first corner and the brakes bite hard and accurately, the car tips in enthusiastically and theres an abundance of grip. under steer is very well contained and traction is excellent; the zr actually feels like it possesses a limited slip diff, such is the level of adhesion. the back end gets involved, following faithfully until you ease the throttle, at which point it tightens nicely. and its very very fast indeed. the zr's springing is firm without being excessively hard, and like the astra and puma its very good at defusing mid corner bumps and compressions. indeed the only real criticisms are the cramp driving position and lack of much meaningful feedback through the chunky steering wheel. its more expensive than the ibiza, but the mg feels eminently worthy of the supplement.

Cuprakid i rest my case in defence of the ZR :D

·
Registered
286 Posts
That must have taken ages to type in:eek:

"underneath lurks a poorly disguised rover 25"

"mdf body kit of our test car threatened to breach the boundaries of common decency"

"the cabin is black and miserable and feels a positive step back from the heady heights of the maestro"

"cramp driving position and lack of much meaningful feedback through the chunky steering wheel"

and lastly "its more expensive than the ibiza" back to my point, the ZR is almost the same as a 172! Sorry, but I would take the renault:D

Yeah I read that artical, where was if from, evo???

IBIZA Cupra v ZR 120 is more like it:D

·
Registered
314 Posts
I got thrashed by a new Ibiza on Saturday,not sure what version it was but it was quick,but then i was'nt really trying............

·
Registered
314 Posts
I must admit to the uninitiated,it does look as if i have'nt got around to painting it the same colour as the rest of the car,but i like it,so there! :D ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Kevin Davis said:
I must admit to the uninitiated,it does look as if i have'nt got around to painting it the same colour as the rest of the car,but i like it,so there! :D ;)
I may be biased to the ZR but I agree that the 200 BRM also looks the business :cool:

·
Registered
314 Posts
That Ibiza design is about the same age as the Rover 200/25 is'nt it?,i seem to recall a recent road test saying its a bit behind the times,ala 200/25.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The ibiza is a Cupra R, 180 Turbo'd BHP. Unless you want to be shown up do not bother. I have a 160 and these Cupras, once over their turbo lag are quick, relax and enjoy the fact that your MG turns more heads and is more comfortable.

If you want to try your luck with these Ibizas make sure it hasn't got an R on it as these are then relatively easy to 'do'.

Keep smiling and MGing !!

·
Registered
253 Posts
These Seat things may be quick off the mark but I don't think I could be seen driving one, they look 'orrible!

ZR owners can be sure that they are driving a motor that looks great.... AND I MEAN GREAT.....

Te he

·
Registered
253 Posts
i came thru my insurance scandal.... will never sell my ZR.... I may however trade her in after 3 years for a faster model (HP).

G

·
Cupra 2ltr v ZS 180 v R216 Gti

Interesting anecdotes between seats ;)

I have raced in officially MSA licensed sprints against a Seat Ibiza Cupra at several events last year. Mostly in a 1600 Ford Fiesta XR2 and we certainly managed to compete and beat it a couple of times.

This saturday I am racing at Dunkeswell cart track in another offical ASWMC Sprint Championship round hosted by Devon4Motorsport in class A3. Class A3 is for production cars from 1800cc to 2600cc with very limited modifications.

The Seat Ibiza Cupra will be racing and I will be in my ZS 180. This may not seem fair as a 2.5 Ltr V6 is a much bigger lump, but all is fair when everyone is running under the scruitiny of the same regulations.

I am also running another team car at this sprint in Class A2 1400-1800cc production cars. My old Rover 216Gti. This car is better than the XR2 of last year. We have removed the carpet and sound proofing (within the regulations) fitted a cone filter, changed the exaust and cut the springs down. We will also be running it with soft compound Yokies [A032R] for extra grip. I expect the Rover to proove very well at this event.

This will be racing against the clock so there will be no "wasn't really trying" type comments and everything will be controlled and measured to hundredths of a second!

I expect to have a lot of fun and will let you know of the results next week, if you are interested.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts