MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
What's happened at MGR since the break up from ***!

Rover 75 Tourer launched.

MG ZR launched.

MG ZS launched.

MG ZT launched.

MG ZT-T launched.

MG TF launched.

Qvale bought - forthcoming X80 - sports car.

V8 powered ZT's being developed.

Powertrain secured.

Parts supply through Caterpillar launched.

EX257 - Le Mans racer developed with Lola (wish this was raced in ALMS!).

EX258 - Super 1600 developed (ZR basis) with GSE & AER cooperation.

EX259/260 launched with AER & WSR help.

Caterham tie up.

Cart using Judd powerplant with MG cam covers.

What's next we ask F1 or maybe a rebadged "Space Shuttle?" :D

Could be a tie in with Lotus, for when the Elise is launched in the States? :D

My only concern is that the sporting side doesn't drain the manufacturing before the sales benefits kick in. Obviously the CART programme will help launch MG ino the USA with X80 and ZT.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
MG X-Power sport and racing are a wholly owned subsidiary of MG Rover (Holdings), and are a seperate business of the group - although initated with group finance, they will become self-sustaining thru sponsorship, and the like.

And what is even more incredible, it is NOT yet two years since they were bought, supposedly as a "dead duck" from ***, and I defy anyone reading this to name ONE other manufacturer from anywhere else on the planet which could compete with such a list of development and advancement. And if this is what has been done in under two short years, then we can only wonder at waht is to come over the next two years and beyond!

·
True Brit
1,048 Posts
XPower Admin! said:
What's happened at MGR since the break up from ***!

Rover 75 Tourer launched.

MG ZR launched.

MG ZS launched.

MG ZT launched.

MG ZT-T launched.

MG TF launched.

Qvale bought - forthcoming X80 - sports car.

V8 powered ZT's being developed.

Powertrain secured.

Parts supply through Caterpillar launched.

EX257 - Le Mans racer developed with Lola (wish this was raced in ALMS!).

EX258 - Super 1600 developed (ZR basis) with GSE & AER cooperation.

EX259/260 launched with AER & WSR help.

Caterham tie up.

Cart using Judd powerplant with MG cam covers.

What's next we ask F1 or maybe a rebadged "Space Shuttle?" :D

Could be a tie in with Lotus, for when the Elise is launched in the States? :D

My only concern is that the sporting side doesn't drain the manufacturing before the sales benefits kick in. Obviously the CART programme will help launch MG ino the USA with X80 and ZT.
Incredible in such a short time, Brits at their best.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
What about the MGF Trophy? Wasn't that launched after the break-up from ***?

I might be wrong, but thought it was worth mentioning! :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
JIM said:
MGR have certainly been busy. What next? ZT385 at Bathurst?

Jim
Sounds good to me, but 385 won't be enough.... better pump up the output. After all this effectively all V8 race doesn't have a single standard Holden (Chevrolet) or Ford V8 in it. The Holden units are based on the 5.7l Chevvy unit that you guys in the UK can get in 500hp form in the HSV GTS. They get more power than that from it in race form though. Likewise the Ford V8 which is now absolutely ancient and due to be replaced in the new model due in 2004 by none other than the same ford lump MGR are about to use.

Actually that's worth a point. If Ford in Australia see fit to put the 260ps version of the V8 MGR are about to use in a car that sells for much much less than a V6 FWD Rover 75 hopefully they won't try selling the ZT260 in Australia. No I'm not suggesting there's a cutsomer crossover - Aussie V8 types wouldn't be seen dead in an MG (you're either born an Holden or Ford man or so they say.... guess I had a birth defect since I think most Holdens and Fords are pieces of Sh*t).

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Patrick
The RWD ZT's might not be muscle cars by Aussie standards but back here i think they will be BIG news.
I only have to think back to the lotus carlton and how the anti car brigade were up in arms over it.I say keep the power outputs as they are and let the owners fettle them.
At the end of the day MG might like to think they are anti PC but when push comes to shove i think they would bottle it.
btw,how would cars like the ZS180& ZR160 rate in the grand scheme of things in OZ....?????
kev

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
XXXX land but not the home of ***

I imagine in the land of XXXX, cars with engines developing less than 200 bhp or weigh less than 1200kgs are outlawed. :D Remember, that petrol (gas) or whatever they call it - isn't taxed at our silly rates.

PS. MORNING ALL in Good Old Blighty!

PSS. Also agree with JIM, that it would be great to see our XPower ZT at Bathhurst, beating Brockie or whatever he's called? :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts