MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys every time I seem to look at my car i find something new to keep me busy.. i cant believe how much water is in the foot well, i lifted the carpet up and there is at least a bucket of water sloshing around .... i stuck some millputt where i think the leak is, and have tried to sponge the rest out.

Does anyone know where the water is coming in from? Is this another common fault with the zs? or am i just seriously unlucky.

all in all this car is sweet, lovely power, engine runs like a dream, steering is quality and it looks good. but the build really lets it down.....
My car only had 25 k on the clock and now I can see why the guy sold it, his loss, my gain ;) Im just looking forward to sorting these annoy little things out ..... im starting to wonder if this will come to an end, but i like the car enough to put up with it, its also quite fun to have an excuse to mess around with the motor apart from when its freezing cold ......

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts

·
MKII MGZS180
2,314 Posts
I have rubber mats in mine and in the current weather when the mats are in place my passenger both front and rear carpet is damp. However when the rubber mats are off the carpet is dry :dunno: I took the front passenger side off over a week ago to dry it out and didn't take the rear off but when I came to do it yesterday morning as it was freezing cold during the night the carpet was iced up. It must have affected the front windscreen too as that too was iced up on the inside. I always get bad condensation on the inside when the car has not moved for a while. It is all abit puzzling and I haven't taken the carpet off to have a deeper look.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
It's possible you may have more than one leak?

I would check around the scuttle seal and the other through the joint. Have you felt the soundproofing up towards the back of the heater fan? If this is wet then sorting the seal between the scuttle and the windscreen would be the best place to start, or it could be the windscreen bond between the glass and the body work?

You could get someone to hose the car down whilst you look to see where it is coming from.

Water leaks have to be up there as the biggest pain to sort. :angel

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have rubber mats in mine and in the current weather when the mats are in place my passenger both front and rear carpet is damp. However when the rubber mats are off the carpet is dry :dunno: I took the front passenger side off over a week ago to dry it out and didn't take the rear off but when I came to do it yesterday morning as it was freezing cold during the night the carpet was iced up. It must have affected the front windscreen too as that too was iced up on the inside. I always get bad condensation on the inside when the car has not moved for a while. It is all abit puzzling and I haven't taken the carpet off to have a deeper look.
from touch my footwell is dry, it was only whe i lifted up the carpet i could see the water, it came poring out of the form sound proofing. I should imagin that if your carpet is wet to the touch, you might even have more water than I have, would be worth lifting the carpet. iv noticed small amounts of rust building up under the dash board so the condensation is doing more damage than just streaming up the windows

I was thinking to drill some strategic small holes around the wet area, is this a good idea to do? I know that I would have to deal with some of the probs this would bring, protecting from rust etc, just seems that once the water is in the car its not coming out !!

·
The Green Machine
3,920 Posts
Mine leaked when I fitted a subwoofer as the power comes from the battery through a gromit in the footwell.
Could be the gromit is loose?

·
MKII MGZS180
2,314 Posts
from touch my footwell is dry, it was only whe i lifted up the carpet i could see the water, it came poring out of the form sound proofing. I should imagin that if your carpet is wet to the touch, you might even have more water than I have, would be worth lifting the carpet.
You might be right as once I let the carpet dry out and afterwards put the rubber mat back in. It was a dry day and at the end of the day I lifted up the rubber mat and it was all damp again.

·
Elegantly Wasted
286 Posts
Yep, as said when water starts showing itself on the top layer of carpet things are well saturated!! Thats foam can hold a hell of a lot o water! As well as the air con pipes etc, check that the roof seam is water tight - water can run down a pillar when the leaks comes from the seam. check any gromits in engine bay, maybe check door membrane but these don't commonly leak as far as i have heard:)
I had 3 leaks going into the driver footwell in mine when i first got it and found them all with the help of an assistant and a hose - made the hunt a lot easier i tell thee:)

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Yep, as said when water starts showing itself on the top layer of carpet things are well saturated!! Thats foam can hold a hell of a lot o water! As well as the air con pipes etc, check that the roof seam is water tight - water can run down a pillar when the leaks comes from the seam. check any gromits in engine bay, maybe check door membrane but these don't commonly leak as far as i have heard:)
I had 3 leaks going into the driver footwell in mine when i first got it and found them all with the help of an assistant and a hose - made the hunt a lot easier i tell thee:)
Great Post and well worth checking out.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts