MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
The Green Machine
3,920 Posts
What are peoples reactions to the modern MG's? One ZS and ZTT in the whole of America!
Do you think the new owners of MG will import to the USA?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mattie007

Most people that still remember MG's want a new one imported. Not going to be easy as its been 30 years since, most kids today dont have a clue what a MG is. Just an old british car if they know anything.

Wish I knew the answer about importing from China, I am also not sure where the Chinese are going with this thing. I hope they dont screw it up.

The reaction I see from people who saw the ZS is they like it, the ZTT wagon was less receptive. Maybe the color, it is that chromatic that changes color and either you like it or you dont. A V8 in a car over here is standard for lots of cars so is no big thing like it is over there.

Just my thoughts.

Ron

Ron

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Mattie007

Most people that still remember MG's want a new one imported. Not going to be easy as its been 30 years since, most kids today dont have a clue what a MG is. Just an old british car if they know anything.

Wish I knew the answer about importing from China, I am also not sure where the Chinese are going with this thing. I hope they dont screw it up.

The reaction I see from people who saw the ZS is they like it, the ZTT wagon was less receptive. Maybe the color, it is that chromatic that changes color and either you like it or you dont. A V8 in a car over here is standard for lots of cars so is no big thing like it is over there.

Just my thoughts.

Ron

Ron
How can they not like the ZS :getcoat::)

·
The Green Machine
3,920 Posts
Some of the new MG's are being made in England so that may help the export issue?
Didn't China announce plans to build a US factory?
How are Chinese products percieved in the USA?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mattie007

On the issue of MG's being made in England I think all they do is add a few bits after the car arrives from China. That is my understanding anyway. If I have it wrong please correct me, I really dont know but thought all the stuff at Longbridge was bought up and shipped to China.

I hear the plan to build cars in Oklahoma was scrubbed some time ago.

Perceptions of China. They vary, most of the cheap crap comes from China. They also have a big export surplus, they may own all of us one day. I am a little afraid they are going to be a real threat to the rest of the world one day. Dont know if that will be good or bad.

We (USA) seem to have a habit of shooting ourselves in the foot too many times.

What are your thoughts of China? BTW what do you do? How old are you? What MG's do you own?

Ron

·
The Green Machine
3,920 Posts
I know what you mean about China taking over the world!
Im not sure what will happpen inside Longbridge (recently renamed 'MG Birmingham'), but I guess they will just be assembling kits together. At least we can say the cars were designed, engineered and assembled in England! I hope they will start to use local companies to produce some parts, I heard the TF alloys are made nearby.

Im a warehouse manager and own a MG ZS 1.8. However, due to my new job Im looking at getting the V6 version!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Matte007

Very nice looking car. Yes I could see wanting a V6 version.

Its kinda funny, some of the best/fastest/neatest cars on earth are made by cottage industries in the UK. Yet most of the big guys are gone or sold out to a foreign company. Interesting concept?

Of course we have our own problems, I am still ****ed off that we bailed out GM, should of let them go down the tubes and then maybe reorganise with out so much union influence.

I am not a big union guy, I know your country is big on unions.

Ron

·
The Green Machine
3,920 Posts
Unions can do good, but in British Leylands case, perhaps a case of overkill. But I do not know the full story.
The funny thing is that if MG Rover had still been going in 2009, the government would of had to step in and help out, like they did with Nissan, Toyota, Land Rover,etc. All in the past though.

Anyway, onwards and upwards for MG!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I know what you mean about China taking over the world!
Im not sure what will happpen inside Longbridge (recently renamed 'MG Birmingham'), but I guess they will just be assembling kits together. At least we can say the cars were designed, engineered and assembled in England! I hope they will start to use local companies to produce some parts, I heard the TF alloys are made nearby.

Im a warehouse manager and own a MG ZS 1.8. However, due to my new job Im looking at getting the V6 version!

Nice motor Mattie, you won't regret getting a V6, what colour are you after, and are you worried if it's a Mark 1 or 2? I'll keep a look out for ya! :yup:

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Cut my teeth working on B's and C's. Don't wish to sound rude Ron but the MGB got ruined to suit the US market. (The rubber bumper version).

·
Registered
24 Posts
tcb 180

Could not agree more, seems when the government wants to save us from ourselves something gets the axe. To be fair I also dont think we were the main cause of the company going under. I think there was a lot of politics involved on your side of the pond too.

It is a shame cause I really like the car, always have and always will.

Ron

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I would still love one now Ron. 'B' Roadster in primrose yellow with chrome wires. Aaaagh! still does it for me after all these years. I got quite a reputation in my day for my carb balancing skills on the B series motor.Customers used to ask for me to service their motors.

·
Registered
24 Posts
tcb 180

Yea Primrose is nice. I love driving my MGC's. They are really great road cars over here. Can jump in my roadster and drive for 200 or 300 miles just for the fun of it. Lunch then 200 or 300 back.

I bought my first MG in 1967, it was a 64 B roadster with steel wheels. Dual exhaust that ended just in front of the rear wheels. The PO had fitted a big Carter AFB carburettor and made his own manifold. I put the twin SU's back on and it was a sweet running car.

Remember it like yesterday. Don't remember my first girlfriend though.

Ron

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
When I was in the trade I used to service a 'C' GT for a solicitor customer. It ended up having the local canal give way burying the car in muck. My bosses son then aquired it cheap off insurance company as it had been recovered to our garage. We cleaned it all out, resprayed it, changed exhaust and rebuilt the motor etc etc over a year or two when time allowed. He then used it as his daily runner for years then. I will have to enquire when I next see him as to where it is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
tcb 180

I am in the throws of finishing up a 69 MGCGT to be a daily driver. BRG/Black interior. Am tarting it up a bit and adding Air Con. Not easy as there is little room for the condensor in front of the rad but I have managed. Using a small rotary (Sanden 505) compressor and evaporator from a MGB I parted out years ago. Quite a few MGB's (down south) had Air Con installed by the dealer or importer in the 70's. Now there are brand new aftermarket kits for MGB's and are pretty nice. Complete tear down and respray and all new susp rubber bits along with eng/trans rebuild. New interior, etc. etc.
Do you still have any MGB'?

Ron

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
No I never owned one just used to work in a BL dealership garage from 1969 to 1979. But from those days always had a soft spot for them and would love one now. You never know?

41 - 59 of 59 Posts