MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found out I could lose my ZR.

My free Rover MG insurance has fallen thru when they learnt i have held my licence for less than a year... That didn't seem to bother the salesman however who went ahead with the finance, registration etc etc etc.... Is that fcuked up or what...

Anyone know any good soliciters!!

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Not the best mood I've been in!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the only good thing is that the salesman has admitted it is his fault and is prepared to contribute if MG insurance want a payment or if i do have to shop around for some insurance.

But that's not the bit of paper i signed...

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
You need to sit down and go through the advert and contract. If MG do not use a disclaimer then you are batting on a winning wicket. They should qualify the insurance incentive.

If this is not the case and there is no qualification or disclaimer then you need to follow this up with a complaint to Trading Standards.

However, I'm sure the advert will have covered these probables.

Jim:rolleyes:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Chapter One

Steve bought the car from the same sales man as me, and i have to say that he did not offer much information on the insurance front.

Having 3 points on my licence, and having been refused FREE insurance because of this from other dealers, i thought i would ask.

"What are the conditions for the free insurance???"

I was told that the ONLY condition for FREE insurance was being OVER 21.

The salesman had not seen my licence to see how many years i have had a full licence or any endorsments.

I do see your point on the "subject to status" argument, but both myself and Steve put our specific status to the salesman and there seemed to be no problems.

I gotta feeling this is gonna be an interesting story..........

G

·
Very disappointing for you. Looks as though it is between the dealer and yourself. He should have pointed out the conditions of the "Insurance" deal. Hopefully, as matter of good faith, they should finance your "Cover" for this year.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I reckon the salesman put it through just to boost his weekly sales figures,its not his problem if you cant get free insurance,he will probably still try and get you to arrange your own insurance to take the car ,but then they wont let you take it without an insurance certificate as the finance company wont let you have the car without one,they wont be able to tax it either,what a mess!!.:mad:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Oh what fun we'll have today!!!

I know 120 BRUM BRUM (Steve) very well, and he is a bit of a customer servces nutter. If somethings wrong then he lets them know!!!!

He already has the car guys, been driving it for 2 WEEKS now, and the problem has only just surfaced. Do i smell fish?????

If MG get the arse i would not be suprised if the car keys go missing for a while, and come to that the actual CAR. They can't take back what thet can't find!!!!!!!

The garage is at fault, i was there during all negotiations with salesman and Steve, oh dear better get my court suit out of mothballs!

G

·
From an MGR dealer.......................

From a dealer:

He should have been given an insurance proposal to complete and sign by his dealer. On the reverse of the form are set out all of the terms and conditions. The form is reasonably simple to complete and it would have been easy for the salesman to see if he met all the terms and conditions. However, the PROPOSER is signing to say the information is correct and that he understands the terms and conditions, so presumably responsibility lies with him? :(

BTW, all MGR ad's carry the standard wording, "subject to status"

From me - If the salesman ‘cocked’ up with two of you, it sounds as though you bought from the wrong dealer!!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ITS A SHOWDOWN

I wish you luck. Looks messy. This is an Admin post - posting over Steve's post by mistake - think I need to go out for the day.

Re-edit Steve - posted here by mistake - cocked up. Selected edit instead of post. Too easy to press the wrong icon as a Administrator of the board. Sorry :( If you have the info Steve please repost - looks like a "Homer" day for me.

G

·
Steve

I selected edit instead of post - damn privaledges or otherwise of being Admin. Finger trouble.

I'll repost here - just would like to say good luck! Looks messy.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ITS A SHOWDOWN

ITS A SHOWDOWN

TIME AND DATE: 06/04/02 11:00

IN THE BLUE CORNER:

SALESMAN: JEZ CLEMENTS - HIS FOOLISH ACT OF MADNESS COULD COST HIM HIS LIFE!

IN THE RED CORNER:

STEVE JONES, AKA THE BONE CRUSHER: HE'S BEING RIPPED OFF ON THE INSURANCE FRONT AND HE'S NOT IN A GOOD MOOD!

PRE-FIGHT COMMENTS:

BONE CRUSHER: "I'm gonna break him into little pieces and feed him to the pigs!"

SALESMAN: "I just hope after the fight I still have a pulse!"

HE SOULD BE SO LUCKY!!

STAY TUNED FOR THE OUTCOME LATER THIS AFTERNOON.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The outcome is as follows.

Salesman begged for mercy and then showed me this insurance form i signed... and on the back of this form which i was not shown (and the dealer claims he never saw also) states you have to have a licence for over a year. So sort of my fault but the salesman at least recognises he is also to blame.

He hopes to sort this out with MG Rover insurance and in the meantime ive been put onto a courtesy car insurance policy.

If MG Rover still refuse to insure the motor then there are other options available its just they might cost a few quid. And if I have to cough up some cash the dealer will meet me half way. It seems the 'subject to status' and 'sign here' parts in the contract have saved his life!! What ever happens I ain't giving the car back... It's too good!

fingers crossed.

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Word of warning.

The small print of the insurance contract I sign when I have a courtesy car from my MGR dealer says the excess is £500. I appreciate your circumstances are quite unique given what's happened but I'd advise you to be extremely careful.

I was actually not offered free insurance with my ZR+120 on the grounds that it was pre-registered by the dealer and not brand new even though the protective covering was still on the car when I picked it up and had done 2 miles! Technically it was second hand but realistically it was brand spanking new. Did save over 2 grand though.

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
I'm 26, been driving since 17 with no convictions (dunno how tho!) and no claims (careful driver). But I've always been a named driver on my mother's insurance as she and I share a car, including the ZR now even though I drive it 90% of time. I looked into insuring car in my name when we bought it in Feb 2002. The figures were of telephone number proportions! So I understand your concerns.

I hope there's a satisfying outcome for you in due course.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts