MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nephew passed his driving test on friday last week he is only 17 so i expected the insurance to be quite high but get this , a 2004 corsa 1 litre the cheapest quote he has had is £6000 the car is only gonna cost him £1500. What a joke that is pathetic , luckly he hasnt already bought the car as he said there is no way he can afford the insurance . How do these robbin barstuwards get away with it i thought it was bad me paying just over £700 last year for my 180 and i,m 44 years old now i wasnt happy payin that but this sort of puts things in perspective , suppose my insurance aint that bad after all . Mind you its due again in february so see what my renwel quote will be this year .

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
And the silence from the motoring organizations is deafening. And they're the ones who're supposed to represent us. Someone should expose this Great Insurance racket. I understand younger drivers are a bigger risk but the insurers' excuses for the massive yearly premium hikes just don't add up.

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
That's insane. Surely the car will have to go in a parents name and he will go on as a registered driver. They don't leave any other option.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
And the silence from the motoring organizations is deafening. And they're the ones who're supposed to represent us. Someone should expose this Great Insurance racket. I understand younger drivers are a bigger risk but the insurers' excuses for the massive yearly premium hikes just don't add up.
The insurers are competing with each other, why do none of them want to offer lower quotes if they could make a profit from doing so? Seems more likely that todays 17 year olds are terible drivers!

I think my first years insurance was £148!

If your right then how about setting up an insurance company and making a fortune from 17 year olds while only charging half that price? - it's a tempting idea :carstart:

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
All these claims for whiplash neck injuries.

Was reading a paper the other day and someone had written in saying that he was involved in an accident where he was rear ended. Had a letter from a solicitor saying it was taking his case on to claim damages for whiplash injury.

He hadnt instructed this firm, and if he wanted to claim he would have used his solicitors. In the small print on the letter was a warning that if he appointed another solicitor to act for him, he would have to pay £950 to cover their costs!!!!!!

The advice he got was to ignore the letter and the threat. It appears that his details were forwarded by his insurance company and they charge for this. The solicitors were after claiming this money back. Goes against the rules of touting for business and the guy was told to send the letter to the body that governs solicitors.

Find it unbelievable that there is any tie up between the insurance co. and no win, no fee, solicitors.

The paper I saw this in, was a copy of the Times, not a local paper, still cant believe it.

Grand son was looking at cars and insurance, he said that the newer the car the better insurance deal you can get.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
All these claims for whiplash neck injuries.

Was reading a paper the other day and someone had written in saying that he was involved in an accident where he was rear ended. Had a letter from a solicitor saying it was taking his case on to claim damages for whiplash injury.

He hadnt instructed this firm, and if he wanted to claim he would have used his solicitors. In the small print on the letter was a warning that if he appointed another solicitor to act for him, he would have to pay £950 to cover their costs!!!!!!

The advice he got was to ignore the letter and the threat. It appears that his details were forwarded by his insurance company and they charge for this. The solicitors were after claiming this money back. Goes against the rules of touting for business and the guy was told to send the letter to the body that governs solicitors.

Find it unbelievable that there is any tie up between the insurance co. and no win, no fee, solicitors.

The paper I saw this in, was a copy of the Times, not a local paper, still cant believe it.
I thought insurance companies selling details had been banned!

Grand son was looking at cars and insurance, he said that the newer the car the better insurance deal you can get.
The MG6 1.8Turbo is quite good for that - wouldn't be surprised if it beat the £6000 by a fair amount, in fact it might pay for itself over the corsa in a few years!

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought insurance companies selling details had been banned!

The MG6 1.8Turbo is quite good for that - wouldn't be surprised if it beat the £6000 by a fair amount, in fact it might pay for itself over the corsa in a few years!
hey you got a point there but its havin the money in the first place to by the mg6

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I don't believe that the youngsters are to blame. Its our whiplash warriors etc that's putting the premiums up. A bloke I work with recently had a bump. Not his fault might I add. But three of them in the car, the rear seat passenger did not have her belt on and they all end up with a pay out!

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
I don't believe that the youngsters are to blame. Its our whiplash warriors etc that's putting the premiums up. A bloke I work with recently had a bump. Not his fault might I add. But three of them in the car, the rear seat passenger did not have her belt on and they all end up with a pay out!
But the wiplash problem affects all drivers, not just 17 year olds.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
The insurers are competing with each other, why do none of them want to offer lower quotes if they could make a profit from doing so? Seems more likely that todays 17 year olds are terible drivers!

I think my first years insurance was £148!

If your right then how about setting up an insurance company and making a fortune from 17 year olds while only charging half that price? - it's a tempting idea :carstart:
I guess because insurance isn't like a piece of merchandise that you buy wholesale and then compete with other retailers to sell in the high street. The household names people buy their insurance from are just variations on the theme. They don't own the product they're selling. They're all insured by bigger insurers (and investment concerns) who sell risk on the market at whatever the going rate is. And they vary the price according to what the market can tolerate. At the bottom end of the insurance ladder there's viturally no scope to sell cheaper. The prices we pay differ only in respect of how a particular brand-name insurer spreads the hand he's dealt. And the dealer who deals the risk is a massive beast with no discernable head. If that's vague...so is the insurance industry!

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
My point is the American Style Blame Culture that has evolved. Get into the cheats,liars & money makers through the Where there's a blame culture and give the youngsters a chance.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
When my nephew passed his test he took out insurance with a company especially for young drivers. He had to have a tracker fitted and was subject to a curfew (no driving between 11pm and 7am). Knocked about £2000 off his original quotes. He did make the mistake of buying a brand new car then getting insurance though. Silly boy.:hammerhea

·
Registered
608 Posts
My point is the American Style Blame Culture that has evolved. Get into the cheats,liars & money makers through the Where there's a blame culture and give the youngsters a chance.
This. I'd be for a ban on whiplash claims, although christ knows how carefully they'd have to word that into law.

I wouldn't bother with comparison sites, though, theyve never been able to match what the brokers could get me.

Adrian Flux deal with younger drivers: link

And the tracker scheme mentioned above is the Co-op: link

And I'd always suggest a call to Keith Michaels: link

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Not suggesting that at all. But everyone jumps on the wagon via these parasite solicitor companies. In fact just had such a call a matter of seconds ago ttrying to tell me I'd had an industrial claim for comp to make.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Can't assume that every claim for whiplash is fraudulent. Whiplash can be a pretty serious life-changing injury. There still needs to be recourse for the victim.
Completely. Likewise, you can catch the flu and take a week off work, or you can catch the flu and die. It isnt a black and white thing, very much shades of grey. But thousands of pounds of compensation for people who have had a slight tap on the side of the car, and who more than likely get prescribed paracetamol for their effort, is not on. There needs to be some kind of measure of how bad the injury actually is.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.