MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be looking at replacing my current car early next year and have already put the thinking cap on and thought of various options.

I drive approx 6k per year, mostly comuting 10 miles a day, budget if buying 2nd hand would be £500 to £8k (ish)

I could get another short term pcp deal (we get very good rates as my other half is in the industry).

Buy something new. (again OH gets some v good deals)

Buy 2nd hand. (hummmmmmm)

I had a quick look on the various selling sites and came accross some crazy cars for the money, V12 Mercs, mega bhp Scoobys, Smart Brabus Roadsters. TVR's etc etc... Then the sensible head kicked in :)

After some serious thinking it became clear ( I think TalkingCars mentioned them on another thread) ...!

A ZT 260, So many +, its a MG, its a V8, yes the mpg is crap but my millage isnt huge £8k (seems) gets a nice one. I have joined 260.com to read up on the pit falls.

Anyone want to put me off ? :) (I am sure there are cons )

Jez

· Registered
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From the reading I have done there are (like all cars) a few issues, but on the hole the drive train is bullet proof and if the standard 260 fixes have been done there isnt to much to go wrong, certainly not the cheapest cars to run but not many V8's are.

You of all people have touched many a car with your bargepole, what are your last 3 cars ? A Mg, Jag and a Alpha ? I think those 3 makes would be most people's Top 3, dont touch with a Bargepole makes ? :biggrin: ( Although I love all 3 makes)

Bilbo chucked an interesting one in to the pot, the S type R, more bhp, a supercharger and cheaper to run....

Best of luck looking for a 260 Jez. On a personal note would,nt touch one with a bargepole.

· Registered
1,028 Posts
[QUOTE
Bilbo chucked an interesting one in to the pot, the S type R, more bhp, a supercharger and cheaper to run....[/QUOTE]

Bit more than your 8k for anything with under 100000mls on clock, reasonable mileage cars are 10+.They seem to be inflated in price as the 260s are. A Type R is a knobbed up version of the one I sold ,as the 260 is the ZT one,Both not worth the money or the potential aggro of ownership.

By the way sold mine to a nice chap from Brum way.Paid the full asking price.Never really looked into it but I think mine was around the 200bhp mark,not a bad buy at £3250.

· Registered
1,028 Posts
Alfa seems to have suffered in the past with reliability issues but they seem to have got things sorted now. The British motoring press always give them a slagging(the Alfa I bought is the Mito 170 QV) the "experts" said go for Fiesta ST or a Golf instead, that settled it I had to try the Alfa.

Road tested the Mito QV and was highly delighted with the comfort,interior,acceleration and general performance and as for style it cannot be compared to any of those previously mentioned. just done 1000 mls and seeing as I have not done any runs just local 37mpg is showing at present,low by some standards but lot better than what I have been used to.

It is just what I have been looking for, a smaller car that is cheap to run, tax and insurance is less than I was paying, more mpg,and shifts a bit, more importantly after driving an auto for 7years er indoors wanted an auto hey presto no argument. The gearbox works a treat with paddles on the steering wheel if you fancy a play. Three drive settings selected by a switch, third one brings the Turbo in.Bit of lag but hey ho give the Nova at the lights a start!

· Registered
1,028 Posts
I have seen a nice TF for sale, every mod done,FSH very tidy ,and it don't look like a dogs mauled the drivers side bolster.Im very interested in this can someone give me a slap and tell me why im not looking at an MX5, before I make a rash purchase.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.