MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello peeps. I am new to the mgzr and have now got a MGZR160 with a dead engine. I have removed the head and started porting it but have also just purchased another engine with the following spec.
k series 1.8 vvc race engine, the block, head and sump have been chemically cleaned and then acid etched, then sprayed in satin silver heat proof paint, which looks great, it has a new water pump, the oil pump has been checked and is in very good order, the pistons have been fitted by SH Engineering In Bromsgrove and are genuine X Power MG ZS touring car, made by Omega, and have been fitted with brand new rings from Omega , they have only done two seasons, all of the bearings are all matched too, the cylinder head has been decked and skimmed by 15 thou to give a compression ratio of 10.75-1, the standard valves have been ground in, the cams are not fitted as I was going to get a solid vvc cam from QED, but never got round to it, so, the original vvc ones and a pair of mgf 135 cup cams come with it, all of the vvc items are there, and a vvc converter kit from Mike Satur are also there, a set of Hot wires leads, cam belt, seals and gaskets and verniers, also included are the twin 40 carbs and manifold. The cam cover has been smoothed and painted red, and has a pack of stainless steel Allen key bolt set, and it has a alloy lotus oil cap, there are two spare pistons and rods which are the same race ones as fitted in the block, and the standard pistons are there too, this engine has not been run.
So may the fun begin.
I am not using the carbs and intake so if anyone out there wants to fit these to a mini running a K series they are up for sale. I will also have a spare set of pistons complete bottom end and probably a spare head at some point.

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Hi and welcome to XPF:MG:

Keep us updated with your Project:yup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys thanks for the welcome. Got a hell of a lot to learn but luckily have 2 engines to play with now so gives me options on the build and dont intend to put it back on the road till about April. Any advice or ideas welcome as starting from scratch with this one so going to be a steap learning curve lol. Considered the T16 route but always liked a challenge so K series it is.
:sofa:

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
sounds like a neat project, best bet is to ask spacific questions as you go along.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I will have plenty of those as we go like vvc cams or solid conversion? Anyone tried the good old Carb route on one of these? Results on the Dyno if so? I know that injection is the way to go for ultimate power but carbs are also a cheap route if you have a upper limit of say 180 -200 BHP and not looking for ultimate BHP through uprated fuel injection and ECU (ie Emerald etc) assuming you can achieve what is required for MOT emmisions which dont apply to such an extent if fitting it to and older vehicle ie Mini/Metro. Just and idea from my old school days (I could well be barking up the wrong tree here) but you got to start somewhere.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"The car" I have got replacement n/s wing and door as small marks on them and chaeper option than a full respray as the rest of it is dead straight £50 for the pair and in Blue right result. Going to lose the white on the rear light clusters as looks minging and he has done a few of the plastic panels on the interior so going to get them covered in the door trim material me-thinks

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hiya peeps. Has anyone tried/used te 56mm throttle body on these engines ( I think originally used on the 220 turbo). I know they only have one breather so a separate breather has to be used on the rocker cover but looks like it maybe a worthwhile upgrade?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts