MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Commission No: ZS-002877
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fitted a HID conversion kit to the ZS, the difference at night is amazing....

If you haven't tried this yet I highly recommend doing so, you will be amazed....

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is on my to do list... what set did you get and how bright did you go?
9000k and 60w I think, I got them from Ebay for £45 brand new, they took about 1hr to fit (it is a pig doing the nearside due to the battery).
Well worth doing and highly recommended!
I will be driving the Autobahn's on Tuesday night so they wiil be invaluable at those kind of speeds in the dark....

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Fitted HID's to both my previous ZS's. They are technically illegal as an aftermarket fit, but well well worth fitting

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fitted HID's to both my previous ZS's. They are technically illegal as an aftermarket fit, but well well worth fitting
Funny you should say that!
I damaged my tyre in a Polish pothole in January, the local councils insurance coughed up to sort the damage out but the insurance inspector started giving me stick about the fact that HID lights are Illegal on Polish vehicles unless they are self levelling.
He still wouldn't shut up when I pointed out to him that the car is UK regustered and therefore not Polish....

I didn't realise they are illegal here though... Never mind, I have never dazzled anyone or been flashed..

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
technically meant to be self leveling, go through a projector lense and have screen wash to be legal, but they will however still go through an MOT

oh and meant to be about 5750k or less as well im sure cant remeber the exact number.

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was wrong, they are 6000k....:slap:

·
Registered
795 Posts
technically meant to be self leveling, go through a projector lense and have screen wash to be legal, but they will however still go through an MOT

oh and meant to be about 5750k or less as well im sure cant remeber the exact number.
They dont have to go through a projector lens, I have seen oe reflector lenses.

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
For a refector type HID you need a burner with R after the model. It has a sheild to reduce light scatter. You're still supposed to have headlight washers and self levelling headlights or suspension.

·
Registered
151 Posts
theres a fiesta st round my way with some and they look so stupid!!not the hid effect i mean,i mean whoever fitted them needs to re-fit,i'm sometimes in front of this car and the dazzle you get is anuff to give you a headache!!they look good on vehicles that have had them fitted well but for some reason those ones are way to high,but no matter they are on my list of next buy,and i will be fitting the rite way and make sure i go behind him and blind the plonker!!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
i fitted h7r's to mine and they look great, nice white ones but i keep mine dipped as much as theyll go unless im out in the country or whatever so im not dazzling people

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
If you follow the letter of the law no aftermarket kit is legal. Doesn't matter if you put headlight washers on and a self levelling kit. If the car was not built from the factory with HID's then it is not road legal. Most aftermarkets kits seem to pass MOT's if the beam is setup correctly, but if you have a prang and your insurance company is looking for a way out of paying, you will be stuffed.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Will a hid light kit be okay at MoT time. I take it I can get the garage to align them before the test? The car I have bought has them but they look blue in colour. I take it all hid kit lights look this colour, or can you get hid light kit bulbs that are white?

If you can get white, which one's will I need for a Mark 2 ZS?

Many Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Will a hid light kit be okay at MoT time. I take it I can get the garage to align them before the test? The car I have bought has them but they look blue in colour. I take it all hid kit lights look this colour, or can you get hid light kit bulbs that are white?

If you can get white, which one's will I need for a Mark 2 ZS?

Many Thanks :)
there is a rumour circulating the net that as of Dec 2011 after market HID kits will be an MOT failure, along with any form of ECU remap. Im still contemplating getting some as its a 10 minute job to swop them around once a year if the rumours turn out to be true.

5K white, 6K white with blue tint.

Whats best for MK2 headlamps, h7 or hr7's?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts