MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
thought i would join up here and see what the crack is as i have been a member of .org and tech and rover coupe forums for sometime but years on i have a new car and i understand this is the best place to be.
The new car is a black mk2 zs 180 salon debagded rear with lip spoiler. 59k on the clock and on a 54 plate being registered in july 04.
got it quite cheap i feel i paid £2600 for it after looking at some mk1 180's and mk2 180's most where dog's at high prices and very dihonest traders trying to move them on, in good nick i would say 4.5-5k would get me a good mk2 with my spec!
this car i know needs the belts doing and has a couple of cracks in some of the rare body kit but i know i can get them repaired and the belts i am happy getting done as the price reflects this and i am going to get mgrs in high wycombe to do them.
after buying it though i has turned to more a progect :-( it has a knock on the drivers side front and the brakes seam to be utter poo so i think the caplier might be in need of a rebuild and disc and pad change.
the car also developed a missfire after a week and turned out a duff coilpack on 2nd cylinder. the car still isn't that smooth so a full going over and service needs to be done on it.also its started to crunch in gears on i think a new clutch is needed soon.
but i must say i am very happy with the car, its not anywhere near the power of my old cars but yet still feels fast and fun on the road. it handles quite nicely and it feels raw which is one thing i really love about these cars.
also with my first due in november and the missis on a prov liscence and doing quite high miles this car has been ace, loads of room in it for all the baby stuff and still gives me 30mpg and looks good and drives well and not being to silly to insure.

in the next year i want to tune the car though so might need some help there. ideally want around 250 bhp n/a or a t16 put in and around 350bhp but i know it won't be cheap or easy.
il wash it over the weekend and get some decent pictures up.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
Hiya :wavey:

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Hi and welcome to XPF

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys.
:)
just wondering what you guys might think the knocking noise is and why the brakes feel crap? it also pulls to the right slightly when accelarating to.

with the clutch it goes stiff only when its being used quite a bit and you change gears lots so if you go from cold its fine and if you have been on a motorway in the same gear for ages its fine. does this sound more like the clutch plate or the fluid?

·
Biomorphic and the sun,perfection
3,290 Posts
thanks guys.
:)
just wondering what you guys might think the knocking noise is and why the brakes feel crap? it also pulls to the right slightly when accelarating to.

with the clutch it goes stiff only when its being used quite a bit and you change gears lots so if you go from cold its fine and if you have been on a motorway in the same gear for ages its fine. does this sound more like the clutch plate or the fluid?
Sounds like you need to investigate fitting a Sheddist clutch kit upgrade to me,do a search for more info..........

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have heard about the sheddist kit as the standard hydrolic kit is rubbish but i thought that might just fail rather than get worse when it gets hotter?
i really like this car and has all the stuff i like about rovers but beefed up and handles well :)
really just want to make it perfect but i also keep getting drawn to getting more power to make the most of the chassis and tighten the setup up with braces and better shocks but i don't know if i wamt to ruin a rare car.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
really just want to make it perfect but i also keep getting drawn to getting more power to make the most of the chassis and tighten the setup up with braces and better shocks but i don't know if i wamt to ruin a rare car.
The standard setup of the car is perfect for everyday road use. Maybe you could just lower it?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not sure if the car has been raged or but i know its in need of a bit of tlc but i bought it knowing it was a small prject but its got a bigger project after a months worth of ownership lol

as for the setup. its not bad standard, i feel it needs a bit more power maybe that because im used to alot more and it needs to have less body roll but maybe thats a reason for the knock and not the origanal setups fualt, its not bad but not like my skyline was on coilovers.
also does anyone know a good place in the maidenhead area to take my car? i was going to go to mgrs for its cambelt and check over?
also any local lads fancy a coffee and a chat about cars and stuff?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts