MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Three Amigos
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve actually been a member of the Xpower forum for over 3 years since buying my ZS 180 second hand. My car has over the past years developed most of the common faults described in FAQ forum but due to the excellent articles and antidotes provided from club members, I’ve been able to keep my beloved red Z in running order until now. Some of those items included sticky throttle, v.i.s. motors, thermostat housing (now alloy, thanks to Kaiser S.A.), door handles, camshaft sensor.
One problem I did have that I have, not seen documented on this site happened after a long period of rain and the Z was left outside for some time. The car slowly lost spark in number 2 cylinder which was later attributed to water seeping though a deteriorated seal under the windscreen washer and dripping into plug well, which finally killed the coil and rusted the plug. Something to watch out for guys and gals.
A little bit of history, only 35 or so ZS 180’s arrived in Australia (no other model) prior to the demise of MG in U.K. and due to a few accidents only 30 or so still remain, so the Zeds are quite rare here. A similar story goes for the ZR but quite a number of ZT’s, ZT260 and to a small extent ZTV8 remain.
Personally, I’m a long serving member (20y) of the Gold Coast MG Car Club, also owning a 79B and a 97F and a 72 Scimitar GTE (lurking at the back of the garage awaiting resto). In our club we have 2 other members who own ZS 180’s (thus the 3 Amigos logo). We all enjoy our cars competing in Concours, Motorkhanas, Hillclimbs and Super Sprints.
Unfortunately the dreaded clutch hydraulics’ problem struck me a few days ago when the slave cylinder exploded and the clutch pedal went to the floor while driving and still in gear. It’s a wonder this problem never caused a factory recall?? as it’s a serious life threatening fault. B#oo*y French!! I’ve tried contacting Sheddist to no avail, he must be a very busy man having to fix every ZS in U.K.
ZS180 downunder

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Hi, good to hear of your experiences with your car, sorry to hear of the clutch problem.

Dont know if its worth contacting MG breakers over here and getting it shipped, trouble is its still s/h and could last or not.

Might be worth a call:- http://www.247spares.co.uk/browse/engines?s=1

Dont know if any of the Honda bits can be made to work!!

Hope you get it sorted and back behind the wheel.

Think the Sheddist kit is the best way forward, but might have to get on the end of a long queue.

:wave:

·
Three Amigos
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that! I have in the interium been able to contact Sheddist through Xpower private message service and have been assured of receiving one of his ZS saving kits in the near future.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Think thats the best move, hear nothing but how good the kit is and what a great improvement it is.

Just need to cobble something together, till you get the Sheddist kit!!!!

Hope it all goes well.

Easter Monday here, last week we had blue skies and record temperatures up to 22 C now looking out the window, rain, grey sky and 7 C.

Typical Bank Holiday weather!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wave:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts