1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mg

Hey

Nice and shiny mg

Have a look at mine in the members gallery

The one with the bonnet up happened at 4300 miles while driving home from work my good friend in his new cooper s appeared in my rear view mirror

Following some "spirited" driving i was changed from third to fourth and accelerated, the car then lurched badly (Very scary at that speed!) and lost all power

When we stopped and opened the bonnet nothing seemed wrong but the car wouldn't start, it would turn over and almost fire but wouldn't start. The AA man thought it was ECU failure so he caarted it off to my dealership

I got a phone call the next day telling my the head had gone, four exhaust valves were bent and I needed a new cylinder head

Bloomin Heck!

"MGs look best in x power grey, discuss"

· Registered
22 Posts
Nice car,

Unlucky about the bent valves etc... Did a K series head the other day as the timing belt had broken, it destroyed all the valves!
I had a ZR 160, it was a great car. Decided to go for some more power this time so bought a ZS 180. Very different cars! Loads more torque lower down with the V6, unlike the k series where you have to rev it to make it go.
Only done 800 miles, so not run in yet, but will be changing the oil at 1000 miles( don't like these long service intervals)
Also fitted an X Power exhaust, which now gives it a nice burble.

Cheers

Claire :roll:

P.S X Power Grey rules :rockon:

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ZR 160

V6 Sounds great

I prefer the looks of the ZR more though so for a little power loss i think it would be better for me

Is the x power exhaust a warranty friendly mod?

I want to do a couple of things, nothing too drastic just a filter, cat back stainless and some decent brakes (Mine has weedy things that wouldn't stop a fly and drums on the back for goodness sake!)

Do you know if MG frown on this?? Does anyone reding this know??

I don't want to risk my car going boom again and me having to fork out for it...

· Registered
22 Posts
The X Power exhaust is an official MG Rover accessory, so it does not invalidate your warranty.
Modifying your car will invalidate your warranty, but it would depend what dealer you went to, as some will turn a blind eye. Things like induction kits shouldn't give you a problem, and the exhaust is only under warranty for a year anyway.
The brakes you might have to watch though. Fitting improved pads and discs should be ok, but if you get a braking problem, don't expect it to be done under warranty as most dealers will argue the point that you have moddified the braking system, hence invalidating the warranty.

If you need any more info just ask.

Claire

· Banned
1,210 Posts
My local Mg dealer (Motherwell) said they wouldnt touch the brakes under warranty anyway. My rear brakes are binding alot and they said its got nothing to do with them. I'd have to pay to have them looked at.. I reported this fault at 7000 miles and they said they told me it's to be expected on a car of that age (!!???!! age?? its brand new)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.