MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, name is Dave (25). I am an Aircraft Technician in the RAF based in Norfolk, although my home town is portsmouth.

I am about to buy a ZS 180 so I thought id introduce myself, you guys know your stuff. I have picked up loads so far.

I have owned a TF130 in the past, which was a great little car. Always had a thing for MG's.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome from another n00b mate, I bought a ZS 180 a week and a half back and absolutely love her, you probably already know the key things to check but just incase:

1. Check timing belts have been done (3 of them)
2. The plastic clutch slave cylinder is prone to faults/fail

I have heard there are other things to check for but im no expert, good luck and I hope you get a real peach.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks, yeah I have had a good dig around. Just wondering, does the Aux belt get changed with the others? Also im not sure how to know that the clutch is going (or what is 'normal') in a new car.

Im very much looking forward to the experience!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey thanks, yeah I have had a good dig around. Just wondering, does the Aux belt get changed with the others? Also im not sure how to know that the clutch is going (or what is 'normal') in a new car.

Im very much looking forward to the experience!
Im not sure mate, I know theres 3 but not sure, im sure someone on here can help though. with the clutch I think the check is to have the car in 2nd with the handbrake on and lift the clutch (no gas) the car should pull a little but if the clutch comes up all the way and still shows no sign of pulling or stalling then it could be an issue (but if im wrong hopefully someone can put me right)

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Hi and welcome.

It is normal to change all 3 belts.

There are several things that can fail on the clutch system - master cylinder, slave cylinder, slave mounting bracket - best fix is a replacment system from sheddist (do a search on here).

Other common faults are the blower losing speeds 1 and 2 (easy), the viz system failing (easy but expensive), brakes becoming gummed up and not sliding properly (time consuming), thermostat housing failing (fiddily).

Having said that, I love my ZS even after 4 years and 50k.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
and unless you do a sheddist the clutch peddle is very very high.

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Hi and welcome to XPF:)

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Have an extended road test and put it through its paces on a quiet bit of runway.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Try one and the rest will be history you will love it ive had my 180 five years in february and i still love it as much as the day i bought it

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh I know, I test drove one yesterday and it was phenomenal! Unfortunately the car had a few too many niggles to buy but hopefully I'll find one soon.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Plenty of good one to chose from, as you say condition is everything.

Try and get one with belts done, or use the fact its not to knock something off the price. At the prices they are going for they are giving them away.

Our company used to cut some of the grass on Norfolk RAF sites, Marham, Weatherfield, Coltishall, and a few years back Mildenhall, Lakenheath. That was before it all got took over by the big boys. We ended up doing MODern Housing Married Quarters, hope they are OK now.

We also did Navy sites at Portsmouth, small world.

:wave:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hah, yeh. And my parents live in bournemouth, so i am always down there. If you see any facelifts up for sale around there, let me know!

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
I have had a look at some 180's they are usually up Peterborough way or Great Yarmouth!!!!

Thats on ebay or Autotrader, dont see many ZS's down this way, loads of ZR's and a few ZT's.

Sure there will be some good ones that come up. Will keep my eyes open just in case.

Good luck with the hunt.

:MG:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Wish there was a few for sale in Yarmouth when I bought mine Peter, had to go to bloody Nottingham. I very very rarely see any other 180's round here. I like it, makes mine feel even more special ;)

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Thinking of you when I wrote it!!!! Sods law I suppose, car you want is furthest away.

We had a site at Swaffham, always seemed to take ages to get there from Bournemouth.

I keep of dreaming of getting a 180 for track days, but lack of space and the wife kicking me, brings me back to my senses.

:wave:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Pompski, if you do get one then we can try and get a meet sometime set up for Norwich or somewhere similar as all the East Anglia meets seem to be miles away.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts