MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im locked out of my car!!! im having work done at the mo so it donest have an engine and no battery so the key fob is useless and my door lock has always been a bit iffy and now when i put the key in it doesnt do anything but i can hear a rattle in the door. the only option i can think off is to jack up the car get in underneath the bonnet and connect a battery so my fob will work but i really dont fancy that. can i take the handle off and get to the lock mechanism and use the key on that and try and connect up what ever is loose??

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
can i take the handle off and get to the lock mechanism and use the key on that and try and connect up what ever is loose??
On a MkII the security plates will defeat you!

The locks don't take much power, you can run some thin wires from the battery rather than struggle to get the battery in place. The negative just needs to connect to the body, the positive is probably easiest to connect to the starter motor where the positive from the battery connects - easier to get to from underneath. But be ready for some sparks if the battery end of that cable is touching the body!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
can you not get in through the boot?

how about connecting a battery booster up to the car lights (assuming you can get in to the boot) and see if that also powers the locks again? (no idea if it'll work tho)

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
When i replaced my bonnet release cable i thought you could remove the off side inner wing to expose the cable and give it a tug. that should release your bonnet giving easier access to the battery.
I think you can only get to the outer part of the cable which is anchored at the ends, it is the inside bit that needs to move...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I know the release ends anchored but cant remember if the 2 bonnet ends just sit in a shoulder on the latches to keep them in place? Yes, i would'nt try that incase i'm wrong and you end up breaking something.

They are anchored, just checked on mine and you wont open the bonnet that way.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers for the ideas guys!! keep them coming! Another problem aswell now is i cant find my jack to get the car up to the battery wires or starter motor!!!! damn it!! have to go and borrow one, their must surely be a way to get in other than that? as i dont have any stands as well so i really dont want to be putting my head under a lowered car with no stands, well im not going to do it. does the boot release cable go under the chassis so i can get to it?

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
cheers for the ideas guys!! keep them coming! Another problem aswell now is i cant find my jack to get the car up to the battery wires or starter motor!!!! damn it!! have to go and borrow one, their must surely be a way to get in other than that? as i dont have any stands as well so i really dont want to be putting my head under a lowered car with no stands, well im not going to do it. does the boot release cable go under the chassis so i can get to it?
Boot release cable is inside all the way! The MkII is a secure car - that is why it got it's Thatcham certificate!

Put something under the wheels if you dont have axle stands, it doesn't need to get very high.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
so which window is cheapest and easiest to replace then :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts