MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I want to know what are options for differential for ZS mk2 180.
I know about quaiffe. But are there any other?
Can one use something from R220t or R620t?
Is it recomended to use something other when changing from open diff to these limited slip diffs?
Thanks for replyes. Mike

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
in which cars/years can be torsen found (what´s type A, B mean?)? Is there any problems when buying used ones?
Quaiffe are really expensive IMO.. but performance vs torsen???

·
Registered
27 Posts
220turbo and 620ti defenetily have torsen diffs. Maybe even 820ti and 825 have them. Qualife diffs are also gear type lim. slip differentials like torsen. They differ in gear type arrangement. If you do some research for PG1 gearbox on google, you'll find almost everything. You'll also find gearbox codes that have torsen suffix.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Post 1996 620 ti and 800 Vitesse have a type B torsen as standard, the earlier 220/420 turbos had a type A torsen which is more prone to breaking bearing pinions

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so what you guys recommend? Is it worth installing torsen to ZS180 or it is worth that 560pounds for quaiffe (because of really better performance than torsen)
Is something else needed when fiting torsen?
thanks

·
Registered
731 Posts
i have a rover torsen in my close ratio box on the mk2 180.

does the job just fine, the car is primarily a track car.

even in the wet today it grips like poo to...
but its only ever as good as the rubber you've got on the road.

I am sure the quaiffe is better, but is it 400quid better? depends how many 1/10ths your after?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just want it on a road driving and a track day (just for fun) not serious racing

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I'd go for a Rover type B torsen, Quaife are good but expensive, and a type B will give you enough for most uses.

One thing to be wary of is that a lot of Rover turbo boxes have lost the torsen and you might well find a nasp open diff fitted.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Lots of info on www.rovertech.net including how to reconise them.

The type A is thought to work better but is prone to seperating, type B is stronger.

The 820 vitesse didn't have one, the vitesse sport may have done.

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
well i guess i started the whole lsd into a zs back in the day so i may have some usefull input.
back then 1 or 2 folk who professed to know it all, said the lsd in a zs was a waste of money..... on the contrary , its the best mod bar none.!
I had a quaife on a well set up zs and it was amazing, sie had a torsen type B and it worked well too. My car was a bit quicker but i cant narrow all that advantage down to the lsd, i will say though, that my car did seem to hold a tighter line powering out, meaning i could be on the power earlier.
Quaife is lifetime warranty and gives a bit more gain, a torsen has already lived and if it lets go you will wish you went for the quaife.
If theres one thing ive learnt about modding cars , its to do it right the first time or sooner or later, you will more than likely end up doing it again, and then it will cost you more than you initially saved.
Brand new torsens come up sometimes and so you could get most of the performance of the quaife for a lump less money, but only you can decide which way to go.

personally, if i could i'd save up till i could get the quaife, if that was never gonna happen id have a torsen straight away, an lsd is too good a mod to go without all together.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
i went with a torsen in mine, i had a few to choose from. most had a lot of wear, obviously i picked the best but as dave said, they have been used, a lot!

works well though, £50 i think mine was!.

Drew

·
Registered
976 Posts
Go for the Quaife, it's newer and better, transfers torque better than a Torsen one, I fitted it in my track car and then got one fitted to my road car as they are that good! By far the best mod you can do to a zs

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so is it direct swap for open diff if I want to use torsen typeB?
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID004129
is this all what I need? (number 1,5,4,6,2,3) Where can one find steel caged bearing for it ?
thanks for all that info, I´d like to buy quaiffe but it seems really expensive to me, If I use seconhand torsen B I can buy another mod for my car (lightweight fly) for the same price as quaiffe

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok. I have opotunity to buy a whole 220ti gearbox. So probably typ A torsen. Will this fit ZS180 gearbox? Is it usable when changing all bearing for steel caged or it will brake whatever I do to it?
Thanks

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so guy send me some pics of the transmission from rover 220ti so it´s probably type A. Does it look used much? He also send me a box code K4BS-2020100.
But on a PG1 page is only K4BST so don´t know. Price for whole transmission is 190euros/155pounds euros. Is it worth?
How much is it for steel caged bearings? I found full set of bearings ffor 177pounds?
http://forums.xpowerforums.com/album.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1218
http://forums.xpowerforums.com/album.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1219
http://forums.xpowerforums.com/album.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1220
Thanks for reply , really need help. Mike

·
Registered
731 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
It's a nasp box I think, the code should be a K7, impossible to tell from the pics what diff it has fitted.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts