MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2001 reg MG ZR 1.4 in Trophy Blue that had, had a little bit of front end damadge i bought all the parts to get the car up and running and had my brother fit them for me. I was out in it a few days back when i stalled it but couldnt get it started again, i was told it was the battery so i went and bought a NEW battery for the car went out in it and the battery light kept coming on and going off, i had a guy check the alternator to which he told me was knackered lol. I bought an alternator had my other brother fit it for me BUT whilst out today the battery light remained on all the time, and in the end the car ended up breaking down at the lights on the A12 GREAT FUN THAT WAS!!!! I could not get the car started WHAT SO EVER it just kept clicking and SUPRISE SUPRISE i was on me way home in a recovery truck, there is nothing wrong with the alternater it is running how it should be. Can anyone HELP me?? A Damsel in Distress, lol

·
Biomorphic and the sun,perfection
3,290 Posts
Greetings,:welcome:,sorry to hear you're having trouble,electrics can be tricky,could well be a simple earth issue,someone should be along with help shortly,meanwhile a PM to Rallymatt or Gasaxe could prove fruitfull as they are very clued up and should be able to help.enjoy your stay with us.............:yup:

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Hi and :welcome:

Sorry to hear of your troubles, if it was front end damage could a wire, or connector be loose.

As Higgi says check the earth wire. Maybe worth dropping it in to an auto electrician, should be able to sort it quickly.

:wave:

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Welcome to XPF :MG:

Sorry to hear of your troubles and i hope you can get it sorted ASAP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help people, but i think an auto electrician is out of the question as ive heard they are quite expensive and ive already paid out quite a bit on this car to put it on the road, lol.

I will send out those PM as requested, in the meantime i appriciate any other options that could be cheaper.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Sounds like the exciter wire, I had this on the MR2 I just bought, the alternator will not output any charge unless there is proof of a decent battery connected, in my case the wire to the alternator was broken but there is also a fuse, I just reconnected the fuse output to the alternator with a new wire (after replacing the alternator and finding it did nothing).

To test it you need a multimetre, take the plug out the alternator and test all 3 pins for voltage, they should all be 12 volts (one will be like 11 as it goes through a diode which is what lightes up the dash light when the alternator voltage is lower than the battery voltage). If they are not all 12ish with the ignition on then look for the alternator fuse or a broken wire.

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
Yes, sounds like a fairly simple problem for someone with a basic set of tools and knowledge to put right.

Is there no-one in the trade who you can nicely ask ;) to take a look at your car??

I would offer but I'm in Somerset! :err:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replys, all this testing is way out of my depth for a LADY, lol. I dont really know any car mechanics only what i see in the papers lol and me two brothers which 1 i just think guesses and hopes for the best lol

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Thanks for the replys, all this testing is way out of my depth for a LADY, lol. I dont really know any car mechanics only what i see in the papers lol and me two brothers which 1 i just think guesses and hopes for the best lol
A Multimetre is a tenner from Halfords, unplug the alternator, set the metre to 20 volts DC (straight line over dashed line, not the wavey line), insert the red probe into each of the pins on the alternator plug and read off the results. Make sure the ignition is on and connect the black lead of the multimetre to the black terminal on the battery.

Or just check all your fuses as the exciter will be fused.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for the information, i got it booked into an auto electrician today at 2pm, WISH ME LUCK lol, i just hope its not gonna cost tooooooo much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts