MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:moon:What a complete "Arse of a job":humbug: The bulb went "ping, lights out baby" two days ago. I had read a few of posts on here as to how difficult it was to change the bulbs. Options below.

Option 1: "Take inspection cover off under the wheel arch with wheel hard over to the right, pop your hand in and bobs your uncle, job done"

Option Two: "Jack the car up take the wheel off, then take the inspection cover off under the wheel arch with wheel hard over to the right, pop your hand in and bobs your uncle, job done"

Option Tree: "Remove wheel, place axle stand in for safe working practice, remove inspection panel, push loom over remove air intake plastic thingy, and bobs your uncle, job done.

Option four: Jack car up so both wheels are off the ground, place two axle stands under car, remove the complete "BLOODY" bumper, and bobs your uncle, job done.

Option five: Take car down to Hal*****s and for five quid they will fit it for you!!!!!!!!!! :grouphug:

Yes i went for option five " its minus your tackle off here and i wasent even going to try any of options 1-4 ". Took it to Hal*****s, got the bulbs " ripp off price" but i needed them,,,, and then said with a smug smile on my face " you have a fitting service " yes sir no problem its a fiver " great i said, get on with it ill sit here and warm me nuts " and bolts" till your done.

30mins later a dejected guy entered the shop " crying, his hands ripped to bits
and looking grey from what i presumed was due to the massive amount of blood loss from deep cuts on the backs of both hands".

"All done" i said, not mentioning his hands:dddc:. "He just looked at me not saying anything, then like some Ninga Warrior, he grabbed me by my new xmas jumper ( the one with santa and is little helpers on ) and forced me up the back wall of the shop and said " If ever i see you or your car in this F********* shop again, im gona get in your car and run over you so many ******** times your body will be a perminant fixture of the tarmac and each year ill clean that little patch of tarmac with a very strong "Brick Acid" just to erase any memory of you and your ********** car.

I was just a tad taken back by this, its only a bulb change !!!!!and considering its against the law to drive around "even in daylight" with your lights off and a faulty bulb in place, and a bulb should be changable at the road side........ What in hells name is the problem ......

Had no option!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to do it,,,,, heres how i did it.

You will need:

1: A big pozi screwdriver
2: 1/4 drive 10mm socket, 1/4 drive small extension, 1/4 drive ratchet.
3: A small mirror ( like out the wifes handbag, FOR GODS SAKE DONT TELL HER )
4: A light

1: Open Bonnet
2: Locate the fuse box on right side of engine compatment.
3: Lift the lid of the fuse box
4: Remove the 10mm bolt securing the front of fuse box ( pop it in ya pocket )
5: Remove the two "very bug pozi screws" at the rear of the fuse box,, PUT THESE " ONE IN EACH SOCK"
6: Lift the fuse box up a little ( this gives you clearence ) and wedge something in the gap to stop it slipping back into possition.
7: Get mirror and light, possition them both so you can see rear of the bulb and fitting, to give you an idea of which way to turn and what fitting you have.
8: Put hand in, grab rear of bulb plug, turn clockwise,,,,, and bobs your uncle its out........

Time taken : Eight mins :moon:

To put back::::::: 4mins

1st and very important, get some grips and just pinch the retaining flanges of the bulb carrier a little to make it easyer to twist into the headlamp lock possition, " in other words just flatten them a little, just a natts Bo******k that all.

2: Possition bulb, turn anti clockwise and bobs your uncle , job done....

3::::: Replace 10mm bolt and 2 very big pozi bolts , close fuse box, close bonnet, lock car ,,,,,,,, replace tools and wifes mirror,

4: Wash ya hands and go and have a pint.

There is one other thing you need,,,, and that is a calm nature, working in these resticted areas and doing everything back to front and not being able to see anything could be "very, very frustrating" YOU NEED TO BE CALM AND DO THINGS DELIBERATELY. Job done "time taken 12mins :slap:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I saved a fiver, but me xmas jumper was covered in blood and had to buy some vanish washing powder to get the stains out. So overall cost of fitting including washing powder is £1.40 ( got a small packet) time taken to fit 12 mins ((((((( job done)))))))))

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good Grief man!

Must be the cold popping the bulbs as my Front NS dip went 2 days ago. I did manage to remove the bulb after I got in from work with plenty of swearing!

I turned the wheel onto full lock pointing inwards the jacked up the front which just gave me enough clearance to get into the access hatch. Also using a torch I managed to squeeze the clip to release the bulb holder and get the thing out. Some are twist fit (Halogen/blue I think) and some use a kak clip (mine). Unfortunately the clip came off with the buld holder and it's difficult to see where it fits back in. So I have the bulb and clip out. I'm gonna get replacements tomorrow and I'll try your fuse box angle.

And yes me hands broke off too. Oh, Don't even mention changing the fog lamps on these cars ......:frust

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
zt is easy should try other makes, most renaults is a bumper off or a toyota avensis, halfords wouldnt fit a bulb on that when we where on holiday so me and my dad had to take the bumper off ourselfs with 2 screwdrivers and a half inch ratchet with a 10mm socket.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good grief man!

Must be the cold popping the bulbs as my front ns dip went 2 days ago. I did manage to remove the bulb after i got in from work with plenty of swearing!

I turned the wheel onto full lock pointing inwards the jacked up the front which just gave me enough clearance to get into the access hatch. Also using a torch i managed to squeeze the clip to release the bulb holder and get the thing out. Some are twist fit (halogen/blue i think) and some use a kak clip (mine). Unfortunately the clip came off with the buld holder and it's difficult to see where it fits back in. So i have the bulb and clip out. I'm gonna get replacements tomorrow and i'll try your fuse box angle.

And yes me hands broke off too. Oh, don't even mention changing the fog lamps on these cars ......:frust
good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol had puncture today,,,,,,, could not get tyre off as mcgard wheel lock tool was totaly wasted ( i know who did it) took it in this year for new tyre ( not saying where) but noticed that they were using a impact wrench to refit wheel......

Never use impact wrenches on the mcgard locking wheel nuts ( it ******s the tool up........................... And a ****** of a job just to get the tool

·
Registered
50 Posts
Lol had puncture today,,,,,,, could not get tyre off as mcgard wheel lock tool was totaly wasted ( i know who did it) took it in this year for new tyre ( not saying where) but noticed that they were using a impact wrench to refit wheel......

Never use impact wrenches on the mcgard locking wheel nuts ( it ******s the tool up........................... And a ****** of a job just to get the tool
You're not having much luck at the mo?

I had to remove my wheels in the end to replace the bulbs especially as the holding clip came off as mentioned. A real pain to get it back on the lens holder and trying to look at the O/S fitting to see how it goes back in at the same time wasn't easy.

Anyway done now. I went for the blue tint bulbs (Halfords BOGOF special) which is supposed to be brighter too - although not too sure about that but at least I could see where I was going on my drive down south to Weybridge on Monday PM (using fog lamps too - v foggy and cold -4 most of the way).

·
''Fire up the Quattro''.
1,935 Posts
Dead easy on my old ZR & the headlight ones on my GTI are easy but the sidelight ones !!!!!! :frust:cry::bh

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well its almost a year since my 190+ blew up on the motorway and just like to say a Big thank you to all on the forum who helped me get it back on the road........................... Cheers all and have a brill XMAS

fRENCHFRIES111:s nowman:CHEERS

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Ummmn... Mine has a habbit of eating bulbs front left x 4 and front right x 2 in 12 months.....

You get used to twisting your hand wrong way and feeling the skin being removed, things we do.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts