MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone my names Alex and I'm new here, I recently brought an MG ZR trophy blue 1.4 (my first car :roll: ) anyway I live in Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield and I love my little ZR haha heres a picture of it,

Been having a couple of problems with it latley though as you can see in this picture :

I havn't got a clue what it is I thought it was the head gasket at first but then i noticed I wasnt loseing water or oil, It only happpens on Idle when you first start the car or when its cold, Its fine once you start driving so I'm confussed :/ help? haha

Anyway glad I found this forum been looking everywhere for a decent one lol

Thanks and Hello :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hello and :welcome: ... ;)

No worries there in my opinion but, keep an eye on the coolant and other levels as you should soon after getting a 'new' car. Regular checks as recommended by all Manufacturers in their manuals that come with any new car. That way if something does go wrong the car user will spot it before serious repairs are required.

Next time on a cold misty morning you're waiting at the red lights, look at the other cars there. Bet most of them will be steaming like a kettle until their engines and exhaust pipes are warmed up.

When my MG ZS 120 was quite new, I followed it on a cold morning when my son drove it. A thin stream of water came out of the back silencer for a while along with some steam. As you can imagine, I was concerned... :)

Nine years on the car is still running strong and no loss of coolant ~ just steam on cold morning start ups until the engine is fully warmed. Even if the needle on the temperature gauge reads normal within a mile of start up, no way is that engine and its oil fully warmed ready to be given the full beans ... ;) Three years ago it did start to lose coolant and I thought ahah. It was the Water Pump starting to wear out and leak. Renewed that and no further losses.

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Hi Alex and welcome to XPF:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello and :welcome: ... ;)

No worries there in my opinion but, keep an eye on the coolant and other levels as you should soon after getting a 'new' car. Regular checks as recommended by all Manufacturers in their manuals that come with any new car. That way if something does go wrong the car user will spot it before serious repairs are required.

Next time on a cold misty morning you're waiting at the red lights, look at the other cars there. Bet most of them will be steaming like a kettle until their engines and exhaust pipes are warmed up.

When my MG ZS 120 was quite new, I followed it on a cold morning when my son drove it. A thin stream of water came out of the back silencer for a while along with some steam. As you can imagine, I was concerned... :)

Nine years on the car is still running strong and no loss of coolant ~ just steam on cold morning start ups until the engine is fully warmed. Even if the needle on the temperature gauge reads normal within a mile of start up, no way is that engine and its oil fully warmed ready to be given the full beans ... ;) Three years ago it did start to lose coolant and I thought ahah. It was the Water Pump starting to wear out and leak. Renewed that and no further losses.
Hayy and thanks for the reply and yeahh that picture was taken on a cold foggy day but that was just luck lol it happens all the time no matter what the weather is with that much smoke aswell seems to only happen on Idle I've noticed I am loseing water but not alot i have topped up my oil and water and going to monitor it for the next couple of days, Also today while i was out driving I put my foot down to overtake a car the revs must have got to about 4-5K maybe and the car stuttered twice like a lose of power its the first time its happened and hasn't happened since (Touch wood) but its just another thing to monitor, any suggestions on what it could be?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts