MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
bigfella-network.co.uk
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And can you remember what shape the hole was? I'm hoping its round so I can put a small rubber bung in there.

I am going to remove it (because its crap!) and install an amplified windscreen one.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Even when amplified screen aerials have poorer reception than roof mounted ones.

Do you have the short MG aerial?
Try one from a Rover 25/45, they are twice the length.

Or get a replacment amplified one for the roof.
You can boosters that plug in or a new base with a built in amp, both are a similar price to the stick on screen mounted ones but vastly better reception.

·
bigfella-network.co.uk
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I have tried the long one, thats whats on there now.

I've look at replacements and the boosters I used on a couple of VAG cars I have. The reason being, when you swap a VAG headunit for an aftermarket it one there needs to be +12v injected down the aerial cable to power the booster if that makes sense.

I cannot find just a standard FM booster for a car so thought the windscreen ones would be a good idea.

·
Elegantly Wasted
286 Posts
Even when amplified screen aerials have poorer reception than roof mounted ones.

Do you have the short MG aerial?
Try one from a Rover 25/45, they are twice the length.

Or get a replacment amplified one for the roof.
You can boosters that plug in or a new base with a built in amp, both are a similar price to the stick on screen mounted ones but vastly better reception.

I bought a signal booster that goes in between the HU and the aerial coax, then wires into a constant live iirc, seemed to work ok for me:)

·
bigfella-network.co.uk
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I am 99% certain that is used to feed a pre-fitted amplified aerial.

·
bigfella-network.co.uk
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This seller claims to use these to replace the MG ones. I will send them a question and get their opinion on how good they are!

·
Elegantly Wasted
286 Posts
Thanks, I am 99% certain that is used to feed a pre-fitted amplified aerial.

yep that's how it seems to read, but there is definately one that is a signal booster only....just canna see it on their site tbh. The one I fitted to mine definately boosted reception as I could autotune seeral stations I could not even get before and others were a lot clearer. There is not a lot to them and that price, imo is a bit steep:)

·
bigfella-network.co.uk
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tricky one isn't it. The only thing I am dreading is pulling the radio out, it was such a mission to fit with the ipod connection, bluetooth module and mic.

·
Elegantly Wasted
286 Posts
Aye, removing and putting in the radio with added gubbins at the back is a pita! Even when tucking them throught the holes at the rear or sitting everything on top the HU it isn't just a pull out push in job, usually includeds much swearing and in my case skin removal from back of the hands:D

·
bigfella-network.co.uk
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep! Glovebox out job, I also had to cut a load of plastic away behind the dash.

·
bigfella-network.co.uk
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aye, thats not so good. I was looking at proper universal replacements or even ones from other cars.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Aye, thats not so good. I was looking at proper universal replacements or even ones from other cars.
I'm fairly sure that you can't even put it in place out of alignment so it can't just be a round hole.

Have you tried replacing it's cable, the aerial itself looked quite well made to me but the cable is a little thin and on mine had a sun visor fixing screw going straight through it as well as being squashed (which is not good for an aerial cable), you could even fit an aerial amplifier at the top end but I don't think that should be necessary.

·
bigfella-network.co.uk
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven't tried replacing the cable, maybe thats the way to go. Chop the old cable at either end and pull it all out.

What cable did you replace yours with, at the base end of the cable are they all the same?

·
Elegantly Wasted
286 Posts
I think it might be more keyhole shapped ... there is something that stops the aerial turning once installed.

I think you may well be right, not so handy. I did replace my coax on the black zs and that helped, like you say it is pretty thin weedy looking stuff:)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts