MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When left overnight the car is ok for around 15 mins of driving. The gears then start to get really stiff and hard to engage, I have to really push it into gear and sometimes it wont go in even then. What's the problem, I imagine its quite serious.

Would it be related to the clutch stop I fitted a week or so ago as the problem has come up around the same time. All the clutch stop does it take some slack out of the pedal travel and I checked and double checked it would have no impact on the disengaging of the clutch.

Its a 180 btw

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sounds like master cylinder. You sure you haven't gone ott on the pedal?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
definitely mate as theres still some slack. slave and clutch were changed last year due to slave failure but master wasn't changed.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I agree with James, it's the master cylinder by the sounds of it.

Have you got the sheddist kit fitted cdti?

It is very good money well spent. cool2

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what are the consequences of leaving the car as it is? I can't imagine forcing it into hear is not doing any harm.

·
Registered
398 Posts
On mine, worse and worse, car wouldn't come out of gear, then wouldn't go in - had to eventually drive 20 miles in 3rd just to get home!!!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I would consider the sheddist clutch kit, i'm not sure it would sort out your problem, but it totally transforms the 180 gearbox. Makes gear changing much easier and smoother. :yup:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just to add to this, the longer the car is driven, the lower the biting points get, basically on the way home yesterday the biting point was right at the bottom of the pedal which meant that i had to drive the car in one gear all the way. When I needed first gear for hills it would come out of gear, but would not go into gear at all. so i had to turn the car off select first then turn it back on.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
just to add to this, the longer the car is driven, the lower the biting points get, basically on the way home yesterday the biting point was right at the bottom of the pedal which meant that i had to drive the car in one gear all the way. When I needed first gear for hills it would come out of gear, but would not go into gear at all. so i had to turn the car off select first then turn it back on.
Get onto Nigel for the clutch kit, have you had a look at the master cylinder it sounds like that's the culprit. :MG:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get onto Nigel for the clutch kit, have you had a look at the master cylinder it sounds like that's the culprit. :MG:
From what i can see, the slave cylinder is not travlling far enough to disengage the clutch, which means that i can't get it into gear. is there a temporary fix at all? The master cylinder is flexing when operating the clutch.

TBH I don't know what im looking for but I hope the above helps.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Instead of everyone recommending the sheddist kit which I'm sure is fantastic

The fact remains this chap has a problem!!

The master cylinder im almost certain is the problem and I replaced both at MORE cost than the sheddist, it's not fixable and you'll find yourself panicking not to hit the car infront because you WILL hit it if you can't fix it sooner rather than later

If you can dont drive it and get the kit
OR at your own risk get a used master just to get you going! Not a permanent fix though

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, i am new to these forums, but i have a similar problem with my mg zs 180 54 reg hatch, i have had a new uprated and close ratio box and new clutch fitted, due to the plastic bearings going in the old one, it has only done 31k as well, anyway i had problems getting it into gear and then when i did, the clutch would not disengage properly on pull off, spins the clutch as if you were holding it on the bit, i have just brought and fitted a brand new slave and master cylinder, this is much better to get in gear now but i still have a problem that when in traffic and i try to hold it on the bit, or even move forward slowly, the car spins the clutch an leaves a burning smell and sometimes load noises come from the gearbox, otherwise gear change and clutch operation when driving normally is fine, still trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ive just started today to get the same probs.it was well crunchy selecting gears this afternoon after done a few miles.
it was fine uptill this afternoon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i had all the same problems and my clutch was not engaging enough due to the movement in the crap plastic rover item , i recently replaced it with nigels sheddist kit and there is no unwanted movement in the slave cylinder and i have an awesome biting point , was considering getting rid of the car before i bought the kit and now im so happy i never ,

good luck with sorting yours guys

1 - 15 of 15 Posts