MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last night i went to see a close friend of mine and took him out in my 180 to get some food, i was on a duel carrigeway close to the town centre which has a 40mph speed limit, i was travelling quickish up this duel but not being stupid just normal driving really, i passed the pedestrian bridge which is about half a mile up the duel and seen a foot patrol officer on it, i didnt think no more of it and carried on driving and went straight across the next roundabout, i then got a mile down the road to see a police patrol bike in my rear view mirror, he pulled me over a mile or so later and asked why he stopped me, to which i replied, no idea officer, to which he replied doing 71mph in a 40mph zone and promply read my rights and said id be summond to courts for excessive speed, he said the officer on the bridge lasered me at that speed to which i replied, i wasnt speeding!! and even my close friend agreed, anyway he took my licence and checked the car was all mot'ed insured etc and said any questions, my friend asked where he was??, and he said he was on a completely different rd in a housing estate but was radio'd to stop me??, all i can say is that i was no where near that speed!! why didnt he give me a pink slip with all the details, like road name, conditions etc and i never got to see the gun with the recorded speed so whats stopping them saying i was doing a 101mph??
This has really affected me and now i cant sleep as i may lose my licence, Im not saying im perfect and was doing bang on 40 but i wasnt doing 71, and i rarely drive fast as most of the time i have my wife and 3 young children with me :(

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
A foot petrol wont have a laser gun.
IIRC they need 2 officers to witness you speeding if they don't have equipment.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A foot petrol wont have a laser gun.
IIRC they need 2 officers to witness you speeding if they don't have equipment.
Well apparantly this officer is there all the time with the laser gun, even tho iv never seen anyone there before, Theres no way he could of read my number plate at night anyway as the footbridge is just before a corner and i have hid's so could never of read it from the front and the bridge is obviously high up from the road, and there was traffic at the time as well so what happens if someone else was speeding at the time and im taking someone elses punishment?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
This all doesn't add up on the policeman's side. They would never be high up on a bridge with a laser gun, and as said there has to be another witness as in 2 officers to say that you have been speeding.

I would appeal and ask to see the evidence of you speeding which is the law.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Think I would fight it and ask to see their evidence. Also ask when the Laser gun was last calibrated and ask for proof that the calibration was carried out by a qualified operator.

I would also get your passanger to act as a witness and say that you were only driving at whatever speed you were doing.

Was anything going pass fast, on the other side of the carrigeway, at the time he lased you???

There are a number of sites that offer advice if you put in "speeding ticket", dont know if they could help, or if your near the limit on points I think I'd see a solicitor.

Must be the yellow ones that attract the attention.

Hope you can get it sorted, not worth losing sleep over it though. Easier said than done, but it all sounds a bit odd.

Best of luck with it.

:wavey:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yea it does seem to be the yellow ones :( there is 4 lanes 2 one way 2 the other, i was just pulling up the hill in 5th, the officer breathalised me as well (which i blew a ZERO), I dont know weather they were trying to scare me as i drive a sporty yellow car and assume i drive like a nutter all the time, also the same police bike officer seen me half hour previous talking to the local boys as a few of my friends were there, (i dont go out down carparks by the way, im way past that with 3 kids etc) just that maybe another reason why i was singled out so to say??? but surely they need show me proof etc, god knows but im upset about the whole situation :(

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
If you were speeding you broke the law, if you get caught you took the risk and should pay the penalty . . . .

Having said that something doesn't add up, if they set a speed trap using a gun shouldn't they also have officers down the road to stop those offending and issue the ticket ? . . . calling in an officer "on a completely different rd in a housing estate" sounds very strange to me.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Just to clarify a few points;

Just because the officer is on foot doesn't mean he is foot patrol, his car will be parked out of sight soemwhere.

As Talkingcars said, you only need to have 2 officers present if you are giving an opinion of a vehicle speeding without backing it up by using a device such as the speed gun or in-car equipment.

Officers can do speed enforcement on bridges, on foot. Being high up (or off to one side) of the vehicle works in the favour of the motorist as the speed recorded is lower then the actual speed (imagine if the bridge was made of glass and the officer hit the roof of your car as you past underneath him, the reading would be zero, obviously the further away you are the less effect this has (Cosine effect)).

The officer does not have to show you the readings on the gun.

The officer would not be confused by a vehicle on the opposite carriageway as the speed reading is displayed as a negative reading (ie -71mph).

The devices are sent away at regular intervals (yearly I think) to be calibrated, if you contest the offence the certificate will be produced at court, you wont get to see it at the roadside.

Your HID's will make it easier for the officer to say he is 'hit' the right vehicle as they are distinctive. They could have also (i'm guessing) have got your plate from the rear as you past under the bridge.

People always think they are being singled out when they get stopped, this is not the case. It is common practice to be breathalysed following a speeding offence as it gives the police a power to require a sample of breath.

Also as you were reported for the offence rather than given a ticket (as you are looking at a possible ban which only the courts can do - you can't have a ticket) you would not have been given any paperwork.

The officer wouldn't be doing speed enforcement if he had no way of stopping you or no way of getting your registartion number to NIP you.

You have 6 months of waiting now to see if the summons arrives.

·
Registered
151 Posts
one reason why again i hate police,not sayi'm perfect but i get stopped for doin nothing all the time,supposed spot checks,ive been told that you have to have 2 police officers present when being stopped for an issue of a ticket or a speeding offence and being you have a freind as a witness id stand my ground,go to court with your freind as a witness or go to a solicitor,i was pulled few years ago for what the officer said was speeding,witch i wasnt and being i had 3 people in the car at the time and declared i had witnesses(one being my mum who wouldnt lie for me)he only gave me a warning and a producer,half the time there bored or trying to make up the numbers and keep them hand in the inspectors pocket.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
one reason why again i hate police,not sayi'm perfect but i get stopped for doin nothing all the time,supposed spot checks,ive been told that you have to have 2 police officers present when being stopped for an issue of a ticket or a speeding offence and being you have a freind as a witness id stand my ground,go to court with your freind as a witness or go to a solicitor,i was pulled few years ago for what the officer said was speeding,witch i wasnt and being i had 3 people in the car at the time and declared i had witnesses(one being my mum who wouldnt lie for me)he only gave me a warning and a producer,half the time there bored or trying to make up the numbers and keep them hand in the inspectors pocket.
TBH I have a feeling Andy my know what he's talking about...

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
You have a right to know how you were detected and by what means. I take it that due to the excess nature of the speed limit you were reported for speeding as opposed to being given a fixed penalty notice. I would ask for a copy of the officers evidence against you to start with. Did the officer verbally give you an N.I.P. (NOTICE OF INTENDED PROSECUTION) If not you should get one through the mail within 14 days. If he gave it you verbally it would be" You will be reported for consideration of the question of prosecuting you for an offence of exceeding the speed limit" Followed by the caution."You are not obliged to say anything etc"

For a police officer to book you for speeding he has to have corroboration. i.e another officer was with him and they estimated your speed to be ? OR the officer is corroborated by a speed detection device. i.e He sees your vehicle, estimates that is travelling in excess of 40mph the speed limit pertaining to that road, and by using ? whatever device, saw that the speed recorded was ???

See how you get on and get yourself a good traffic solicitor. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
368 Posts
TBH it's easy to actually not reaslise how fast you were going and to think you were only a bit over the limit. This was the case with me when I was done 3 years ago and received a court summons 6 months afterwards.

I didn't get any legal advice, just held my hands up via a guilty plea in the post and didn't attend as I thought it would help me if I saved them time and effort (whether it does or not I have no idea!)

I was driving faster than the limit but I didn't think I'd been driving as fast as they claimed but regardless I was in the wrong and accepted it completely in my guilty plea.

Don't worry too much (easier said than done as I worried). A short term ban is a possibility I would have thought at 71mph in a 40 limit but maybe more likely is 6 points and a heftier fine?

I got 4 points and a fine of around £200.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well theres so many ways the law has you by the balls, i have 6 points already (to which was 3 years ago and was a real bad time in my life due to my 3 month old daughters major operations at the time, using the missis's car thinking i was covered by my own insurance at the time going to the childrens hospital in bristol (i wasnt), trouble is i have been made redundant and most jobs i qualify for i need my licence, im not an out an out speeder and have the odd occasion of fun (hence why i own a 180) but atm this could really affect my relationship as the missis is on mat leave and im the main bread earner in the household & she doesnt know what has happened atm, hence why im on here telling you as its making it slightly easier as im genuinely worried and cant stop thinking about the whole situation :(

·
Registered
795 Posts
One reason I hate the general public is that they always think they know the law because of 'what they've been told' by someone who no doubt has no idea what they are talking about.

Another reason is the fact the minute they get caught doing something wrong they instantly think they are being victimised and that the police have nothing better to do/are trying to score points with their superiors/should be out catching murderers and rapists etc.

Oh, and you don't need two officers to issue a ticket for other offences.

Nath, I hope you get it sorted quickly - it must be very stressful noy knowing. One option you do have is to admit the speeding but question the fact it is so high. Not sure if you would end up worse off if they don't believe you though.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Think I'd get it out in the open, tell the missis what has happened, be one less worry.

I've always found that its not worth worrying what might happen, you only beat yourself up and the end result may not be as bad as you think.

Wait and see what develops and you can then decided how you will fight it.

:wave:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I feel that im generally a carefull considerate driver who seems to have more than my fair share of bad luck!!, i know of people who drive extremely fast, sometimes with illegal cars and still they carry on without getting caught or get let of and gloat about it!!, i think hiding in a corner on a high pedestrian bridge is a bit low imo, i dont hate police by any means and have been trying to get on there recruitment scheme but obviously with goverment cuts that wont happen for a while, i feel a bit better this evening, if i lose my licence i lose it, nout i can do now, just have to play the waiting game and maybe i wont hear anything (which is highly unlikely but i can hope)

Also i went on the bridge in question earlier and stood there for a while and seen an impreza going like fu** and he went past the bridge at more than the speed limit and i couldnt read his reg plate when he went past, and i have extremely good eyesight, so whats to say if there was another yellow car driving excessively and i was stoped because my car fits the description??

I said to the officer i wasnt speeding but that was it, (i never admitted speeding once to him, i just kept quiet as i was shell shocked and didnt want to wind him up the wrong way) then my friend asked where he was at the time of the offence (which was said in post 1) My friend did say to me he would help me fight it as a witness as the speed in are opinion is way out, i dont know what i will do tbh atm as if the courts go with the police's opinion then i will end up alot worse of, i supose i can seek legal advice :(

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
a 40mph speed limit, i was travelling quickish up this duel but not being stupid just normal driving really,
Yea it does seem to be the yellow ones there is 4 lanes 2 one way 2 the other, i was just pulling up the hill in 5th and prob was doing around 55mph,
I said to the officer i wasnt speeding but that was it,
So in a 40 mph zone you aren't being stupid, but are driving quickish . . . pulling uphill in 5th (would that be over 3000 rpm ?) doing about 55 . . . but you weren't speeding ?

On reflection maybe the Police were correct . . .

·
The Green Machine
3,920 Posts
Definatly appeal. I recently got pulled for a minor offence and the copper (who seemed a few sandwiches short of a picnic) made 3 mistakes on the ticket and missed some information.

3 weeks later they ripped the ticket up!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts