MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how to feel about this. See what you think.

Got waved to a stop by a traffic cop and pulled in to a roadside check. One copper, a cheeful young chap, comes up to my door and says hello. Explains that they're conducting an anti car tax/insurance evasion operation in the area. I say OK. So he asks if I have valid insurance. I say yes. Are you sure? I say yes. How do you pay your insurance sir, annually or direct debit? Er.. can't remember. We have a bit of a banter while he gets his colleague to run a check. Meanwhile, he compliments me on my Zed. "They don't make these anymore, do they sir?.... "Is that a 2 litre?" etc etc.

However, by now I'm starting to zone out because doubt is starting to creep in. Is my insurance REALLY up to date? Hmm..I can't remember any direct debits being charged to may account. Must've paid a lump sum. Or did, I? Has my policy run out? Trying hard to recall the renewal date..I'm sure it was in May....Surely I would've got a reminder..and so on and so forth. Beads of sweat start to form and the copper probably sensed that I was starting to sound less confident.

Anyway, while I'm busy working myself up into a paranoid frenzy, I hear the Police radio crackle...and I imagine I hear the words "no record"!!! Heart starts thumping like crazy. Copper walks back, sticks his head in the window and says "I'm afraid our database is not showing any record of insurance on your car, sir!" (Whaaaaaaaaa???) Leaves me hanging speechless and mortified for a few seconds...and then quips, "Just Kidding you, Sir! You're insured"

"JUST KIDDING"???? I mean..is that supposed to be funny? I told him he nearly gave me a heart attack. And god knows, he almost did. I'm in a hurry and just relieved that I was just the butt of a jovial policeman's 'joke' so I didn't really make an issue of it and simply drove off. But thinking back, maybe I should've made something of it. I mean that was serious unprofessional conduct from a uniformed officer of the law. I can take a joke from a mate or colleague but I'm failing to see the funny side of this. Needlessly giving a shock to a law abiding motorist! Some people can get seriously distressed about these things. It's not just unprofessional, it's grounds for an official police complaint. Does your doctor tell you you have a serious illness and then follow it up with "Just kidding, nothing wrong with you" and expect you to take it on the chin?

My mate reckons I should've taken his number right there and there. I'm not anti-police. No reason to be. But if I did have an axe to grind with them I probably would've done. And in hindsight, I should've. I'm actually starting to feel quite offended by it all now and angry with myself for not calling him to books. I should've at least extracted an apology.

I dunno. Just doesn't seem right to me. You decide.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
i think its good a policeman can have a joke tbh, if i was in the police id probably want to do the same, i mean its not like he handcuffed you, or put you in the back of the car or even wrote out a ticket, it was a 2 second joke, he was obviosly playing off your worried look ect.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think its good a policeman can have a joke tbh, if i was in the police id probably want to do the same, i mean its not like he handcuffed you, or put you in the back of the car or even wrote out a ticket, it was a 2 second joke, he was obviosly playing off your worried look ect.
Yeah, I can see that side of it too, then again, another part of me says it's a bit inappropriate. Having a joke is fine, but this was more of a childish prank unbecoming of the uniform he was wearing. Perhaps he judged that I could take a ribbing. And I usually can. But truth be told, I'm not in the best of health right now, and I can do without sudden shocks like that.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
You got a mate who's set you up or something? A strange question to ask if you pay up front or monthly. Hardly a typical opener. My guess is you been set up as a laugh.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Trouble is soon as you get pulled over, you go into panic mode, as you say, you start doubting everything, MOT?? insurance?? Tax??? even tread depth???, even though you know they are all OK.

I seem to get pulled over quite a bit, only once was it my fault, or maybe twice, but the Police have always been polite and they are just doing their job.

I expect he saw your worried expression and tried to lighten the mood, he didnt know about your condition, but I dont know if that makes it right or not.

Think the police do a great job with no, or little thanks, I couldnt do it, little ***** now allowed to swear at them. Say the wrong thing back, or look at them the wrong way and they get complaints.

I would have just laughed it off, thinking its good that the police can still have a sense of humour.

I can see it from your side, not feeling 100%, last thing you want is a shock to the system. Think the policeman was unfortunate to try and make a joke, just shows how careful they have to be.

:wave:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a wind up!
If it was a wind-up it was a pretty elaborate one. Funny thing was, I got a strange call in the evening from my cousin who's a stand-up comic on the telly and he hasn't called me in months. Now, he WOULD have the resources to pull off a "You've been framed" type stunt but it's just not his style of comedy. And he wouldn't have known I'd be out on the road that day.

Having said that, there was something odd about the whole episode. I don't remember seeing a squad car for one thing and their uniforms didn't look quite right. Infact, I just went and checked my wallet to see if all my creditcards were still there (I handed one of them my wallet with my driving license inside and he walked off with it momentarily). Also while I was there another car got pulled in and I heard one of them say "watch out, he's a violent one". Then ensued some horseplay where they pretended to drag him out of the car in front me. So either this was an aborted TV prank or else I was stop-checked by the cast of "Police Academy 8" !!!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Give him a break IMO. Policemen are human beings at the end of the day.

Ollie
I did give him a break. He'd know about it if I hadn't. Again, differece between having a joke and pranking someone. Imagine seeing policemen outside your house and you ask what's going on, and one of them says, I'm afraid your house has been burgled sir....NOT! That's a prank. Not something a professional policeman would do.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
That's a wind up!
I agree, probably not even real coppers. Have heard of this kind of thing happening when they say your car has been reported as possibly supplying drugs in the area and using it as an excuse to give you a full cavity search at the road side. Then announcing that they're "Only joking" i think you got away lightly.

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
re wind-up!

An old school 'friend' contacted me a couple years ago, after our paths crossed on friends re-united. I gave him a contact number and then thought no more of it..

A few weeks/months later I got a call one saturday lunchtime whilst I was sat at the computer, the phone rang, I answered, is that Mr Fagan from Cambridge, yes I replied. The man on the phone gave me some name saying he was calling from the Midlands Police Traffic Division, and wanted to know why I had not appeared in court to answer the speeding offence, which I had commited. He sounded very convincing and I do go to Birmingham.. I protested my innocence for some minutes, and was getting very upset and feeling quick sick.... He had told me I would be fined and my car would be taken and crushed..

He then he announced it was Franco, from school, "ha ha had you going there for a bit didn't I..." Not very funny I said, and I put the phone down on him, I was shaking.

I thought he would call back and apologise, but he never did!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Strange thing about Friends Reunited is how often the people who contact you are the ones you recall being complete numpties, which is possibly the case in your example Kelvin.

As for the op, I'd contact the police in the area you were stopped in and ask them if they had patrols out in that location, on that day.

·
Registered
795 Posts
A strange question to ask if you pay up front or monthly. Hardly a typical opener.
It is usually one of the first questions asked as quite often people have finacial difficulties resulting in the direct debit not being paid and the insurance being cancelled. They may have missed the letters and not thought about the insurance being cancelled so may still think they are insured.

It sounds to me like the officer, having built up a rapport with you and had some banter thought it was an acceptable thing to say.

My brother failed a roadside breath test, was arrested and taken to the station for the evidential test. At the end of the test the officer said to him, 'sorry mate, you've lost your licence' followed by, 'only kidding, you're under!'

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
The times they are a changing. I would never have done that in my day. The whole experience of getting into that position was normally more than enough for the ordinary guy in the street. Never any need to say any more as it usually was a huge reality check.

·
Registered
795 Posts
If someone is sure they are insured but our system says they aren't then it is either they didn't check their details and the registration number is wrong, they failed to return proof of no claims etc or they have had their direct debit cancelled.

I would love to stop people in the 2.8 Sierra XR4x4 you mentioned in another thread!

·
Registered
795 Posts
I got used to the power of the 2.8 v6 turbo Vectras only to have them replaced with 3.0 diesels which are terrible! Then we got 2.0 turbo Insignias which aren't much better and now we are going to be getting Volvo V70 2.5 D5s which although lovely to drive are not as fast as the old petrol Vectras (two of which I saw for sale on ebay for about £2500!).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.