MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not for me though, more for my wife, we traded in the Lexus and got a BMW 1-series. My missus always wanted one and I have to say the looks finally grew on me, even though I used to laugh at them when they first came out.

The Lexus was such a money pit it was unbelievable, just put £180 of tyres on it for MoT, then it needed a service and £260 tax disc. The same time last year it was all this plus £300 on new discs and pads. Fuel economy terrible too.

Anyway, back to the 1-series, it's a 3yr old 116i ES, but it's the Efficient Dynamics model, so I think it's a better engine than the original 1.6, it isn't quick but has enough power for normal driving even on the motorway, very relaxed with top gear being taller than the Lexus or even a ZS180. It's a direct injection petrol engine, and it is a bit odd - sounds a bit like a diesel, but revs better. It has a high-pitched squeal at high revs too, bit like a supercharger. Not sure what that is.

The interesting bit though is the handling. Damn, it's good! With the Lexus I never understood the point of RWD, it was nowhere near as good as the ZS, the front just understeered all the time. This little BMW though is different, front end grip is unbelievable.

Anyone else driven one? I bet a 130i is a good drive, or even the later 120i which are 177bhp.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Sounds a nice car. I just hope you dont get all the valve timing issues normally associated with the Bmw four pots. Prone to timing chain slipping due to tensioner failling.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Sounds like a nice car dorian , so you gonna end up getting yourself a 180 or you both gonna use the bmw you can get some cracking bargains on the mg,s at the moment .

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Mrs has a 118d, can't wait to see back of it - sadly stuck with it for another two years yet
Stupid little doors that mean you bang your head every time you get in and out, windows so low that you can't see out, carrying capacity of a unicycle only good thing is the engine - hardly know its a diesel
As for ride "comfort"...

·
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As for ride "comfort"...
MSport? They are a bit OTT on suspension, ours is just an ES, it has a firm ride but nothing like a ZS for example. Have you got the runflats? Haven't you noticed the great handling?

Ian, I was tempted by that grey Mk2 ZS180 for 2k, I could have snapped that up. I've not seen another I like the look of.

Longer term I might be off to the blue propeller myself, I sat in a new 3-series at a dealers a few months back and it felt great to sit in. But that's 12 months away when I've paid off a loan.

For the next 12 months I'm thinking cheap, and maybe a Ford. Wanted an ST200 until I realised they're all rusting round the back arches. Then I realised that Focus are galvanised and have 12 year perforation warranty. So (I will get slated for this!) I am currently looking at an ST170. I know they're not very quick, drove one years ago, but four cylinder less scary than another V6, and they are great in the corners. And I can get 5 door which is important now.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Boggo standard 118d, no run flats.
Ride is truly terrible - you'll find out in time. On a dead straight, flat road you get jiggled about as if you're going down a farm track - no kidding for comfort we take the ZS (its really that bad - dead tiring).
Wait til we get some snow too - hope you don't "need" to use it in winter, tail happy comes nowhere near describing it - theres a button on dash but all that appears to do is turn on a light on the dash tbh.
The boot is about half the size of our previous Focus and with two tallish people in the front theres no room in the back for passengers (or at least if they have legs at any rate!)
Parts aint exactly cheap either - being a company car we priced up a genuine BM dog seat cover - at £200 needless to say we declined!
As said at launch on TG, the only reason to buy one is for the badge.

Forgot to say, last year mrs had to go up Lake Dist in it (about 3hrs away), shes not walked the same since LOL

·
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boggo standard 118d, no run flats.
Ride is truly terrible - you'll find out in time. On a dead straight, flat road you get jiggled about as if you're going down a farm track - no kidding for comfort we take the ZS (its really that bad - dead tiring).
I won't find out in time because it just isn't like that. It's leagues better than a ZS180 on ride, I don't know why yours is different.

On snow it's not going to matter much because it's a replacement for an IS200, another RWD car. I've got used to it by now.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
I cannot see the wonderous BMW making a hash of one car so I would assume you WILL find its like that tbh mate!

·
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cannot see the wonderous BMW making a hash of one car so I would assume you WILL find its like that tbh mate!
Oh ffs I've bought a new car and am pleased with it. Lets just leave it at that.

There's nothing wrong with the ride and there never will be.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
You're welcome to a ride in ours!
You asked for views, after a year / 30+k miles I think we can safely say ours is crap!
Hope yours is better.

The one we're blessed with:

·
Registered
795 Posts
I went in a friend of a friends 135i at a track day. It was a 3.0 twin turbo chipped to about 350 bhp and it was very quick. It didn't look like much and was very subtle.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
On snow it's not going to matter much because it's a replacement for an IS200, another RWD car. I've got used to it by now.
Doesn't the Lexus have a boot hanging out the back to give a bit of weight on the drive wheels while the BMW has the wheels right at the back with almost no weight on them? I wouldn't be surprised if it was a lot worse!

Congratulations on the new purchase though.

:sleigh: :merryxmas:

·
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You're welcome to a ride in ours!
You asked for views, after a year / 30+k miles I think we can safely say ours is crap!
I did ask, but you're telling me something about ours that just isn't right, the ride is fine, trust me. Maybe they changed the suspension setup at some point. What model year is yours, ours is an 08. It looks a lot like yours but darker grey I think.

Those 135i's are supposed to be very good. The 1-series we have is very good on handling so I bet with some real power it's a cracking car.

Windy, you could be right. I will tell her to give it me on snowy days but she will probably refuse :)

·
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have found one thing I don't like about the 1-series though. It has no cupholders! Checked the manual and it says they are there, in the centre console armrest, which ours doesn't have. A bit poor.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Windy, you could be right. I will tell her to give it me on snowy days but she will probably refuse :)
At least you can put a few bags of gravel in the boot to add weight, with the ZS there is nowhere over the drive wheels to add weight!

I have found one thing I don't like about the 1-series though. It has no cupholders! Checked the manual and it says they are there, in the centre console armrest, which ours doesn't have. A bit poor.
I find that hard to believe, BMW have gone seriously down market then!

·
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
At least you can put a few bags of gravel in the boot to add weight, with the ZS there is nowhere over the drive wheels to add weight!
Maybe it won't be needed - it's got the 50/50 weight distribution. I was amused to see that the battery is in the boot, the only other car I know of with that is the ZT260. It could still be bad though, we will have to see.

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
Don't like the front end tbh. It looks like it's turning it's nose up. If you like it thats all that matters though. I hear the 123d is a monster when remapped. A chap on the Focus ST site traded his ST in for one and mapped it. By all accounts it had the legs on 300bhp ST's!!!
You didn't expect to come on a MG/R forum and get good reviews though did you...it's the old enemy afterall:getcoat:

·
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
an older 130i because they are dropping in price now
Correction, no they aren't! Just checked Pistonheads and I don't like the price of them at all. ******.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Maybe it won't be needed - it's got the 50/50 weight distribution. I was amused to see that the battery is in the boot, the only other car I know of with that is the ZT260. It could still be bad though, we will have to see.
I bet they had to put the battery in the boot to give it enough grip on the drive wheels on snowy German roads in the winter, but it probably only works when fitted with winter tyres!

I can't remember seeing one stuck though, it's normally 3 and 5 series that are stuck while everyone else drives past.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts