Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Festival of speed, 12 - 14th July....

Anyone thinking of going?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yep, I'm there on the Saturday and Sunday. Went for the Saturday only last year and it just wasn't long enough to de everything! Can't wait!

S.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Re: Saturday or Sunday

HIPPY said:
Can only make one day as work obligations.
Which day best Sunday or Saturday?
I've only been on the Saturday before but I've been told that Sunday is a lot busier. Having said that, it is the race day so those going for a good time up the hill will be giving it a bit more. However, my favourite bits from last year were:
  • Standing right next to a supercharged, 1.5 litre, straight eight Alfa when the machanics were warming it up. Aural sex!
  • Seeing Derek Bell, IIRC, power sliding a Bentley Continental R, worth more than my house, around the wall.
  • Being about 20' away from Juan Pablo Montoya when he stopped his Williams, turned towards us, smiled, sat the engine on the rev lmiiter and dumped the clutch :D
The two items on the hill were demonstration runs so they are not likely to be significantly different on the Sunday so, in short, if I could have only gone for one day this year, I would probably have gone for the Saturday again. Anyone been there on both days before?

S.

G

·
Yes, this is a must for those speed freaks and petrolheads on this Forum and elsewhere. Trouble is I'm working. So, if there's a BTCC EX259/260 or EX257 going up the hill, please capture it on camera for posterity. :(

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hmmmm

Think I might have to make my presents felt. Only a short distance away so why the hell not!!!

Chris

·
aka Simon
579 Posts
Just decided to go tomorrow (Saturday) - 3hr+ drive from Nottingham but what the hell. Is anybody else planning to be there? I'll be in the red ZT

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
WOT A WEEKEND!

Wot a weekend for motor racing folk. Goodwood on Saturday followed by a helping of Touring Cars at Croft. What a weekend indeed.

For me. Well it's work on Saturday, oh to work Mon to fri , 9 till 5!! Then it's Sunday with an Audi Quattro 3.0 V6. No contest.

Jim

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
The Sunday was great fun!

I am now the keen owner of some X-Power 'Flame Thrilled' T-shirts and cap :D

I should hopefully have a few photo's of the cars (or the tree's behind them depending on how good my camera was!)

Did anyone else see both MG-Lola's ?

Disapointing that the WRC and Touring cars were not there... but both cars were doing real racing that day... there is always next year! :D

G

·
Bailey puts on Goodwood show.

Julian Bailey demonstrated the MG Lola EX257 in front of huge crowds at the weekend's Goodwood Festival of Speed. A vital part of MG's Le Mans effort, Julian, the only driver to do a triple-stint in the car during the race, took the distinctively liveried sportscar up the hill-climb course on each day of the event.

The LMP 675 class sportscar was in full Le Mans spec, including the gearing, which was still optimised for the wide expanses of the French high-speed circuit, not the tight and twisty Goodwood layout.

"The problem I was having was with the gearing," Julian said at the event "First gear in this car will take you to 90mph, so it really isn't set up for a short sprint like this. But it's good fun all the same."

Julian was competing demonstration runs in the car, therefore his times were not issued at the end of the event, which was attended by over 138,000 people.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts