MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting a bit bored dunno what to do, before i get an ear full, the zs is a great car, great handling but just want more, am i being greedy, i just dont know im a family man now so dont wanna go killing myself but really want a evo... but guess im dreamin a little

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
You thinking of selling the zed then James? Some nice turbo motors around cheap at the mo, but I don't know what your budget is? :yup:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Got to say I am not bored of the ZS, I bought it 2 years ago to use as a car while my wife was off work having a baby and intended to sell it when the missus went back to work, she went back in January and I've still got it. Just done 500 miles in one day driving to my folks in France with 3 adults and a child plus roof box and it was a beautifull drive. Looking forward to next weekend when I drive home.

Cant say I want a faster car and I wont find a better looking one, got so many people looking at it in 500 miles. One bloek cheared when I started it up in a petrol station!

·
FWD V6 & RWD V8 Driver
92 Posts
Try doing what I've done:
  • Park up your ZS in storage.
  • Buy something for £500. I got a Hyundai on 155 wide tyres.
  • Drive the crappy car for six months.
  • Get back in the ZS.

I will be keeping my ZS until I am forced to give it up. You don't realise what you have until you're forced to give it up.

·
ZR workhorse & Elise for fun
7 Posts
You can always keep the ZS for the runabout and get something more focused/special for the weekends...

Works well for me, although the Elise is off the road now while I rebuild it :(

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
It's natural progression - like most things in life.

Until you go backwards you forget how lucky you currently are.

I went from a 2007 300bhp Vectra VXR to a 16 year old Renault Clio Williams.

When I bought that Twilight ZS from Ralph it felt like a Ferrari compared to the clio.

But I soon forgot all about the Clio, became dissatisfied with the ZS and changed it again.

Maybe don't go for the obvious choice of car. Evo's and STI's are a bit obvious.

Possibilities:

Mazda 3 MPS - 10k for standard 256bhp car - 320bhp with £1k mods)
Astra VXR - £10k+ for standard 240bhp - 300bhp+ with £1k mods
Vectra VXR - £10k+ for standard 280bhp - 300bhp with £400 map - 350bhp with £1k mods from Thorney Motorsport

MK1 focus RS
Mazda 6 MPS

All scooby slayers with some tweaking

·
The Pope
3,408 Posts
Getting very bored with my ZS now, I've had it over 4 years which is usually how long I keep motors. I'm saving for a Jag XF V6 twin turbo diesel, I recon I've earned some comfort after all the bone shaking!

·
Registered
951 Posts
. . . . . Maybe don't go for the obvious choice of car. Evo's and STI's are a bit obvious.

Possibilities:

Mazda 3 MPS - 10k for standard 256bhp car - 320bhp with £1k mods)
Astra VXR - £10k+ for standard 240bhp - 300bhp+ with £1k mods
Vectra VXR - £10k+ for standard 280bhp - 300bhp with £400 map - 350bhp with £1k mods from Thorney Motorsport

MK1 focus RS
Mazda 6 MPS

All scooby slayers with some tweaking
Don't forget the poor relation of the STi - find a 2.5 WRX and get the Prodrive Performance Pack (or other similar / cheaper / non-subaru-approved type upgrade). The standard car is quick enough and very usable day to day as a family car - like most of those listed above, although not the sharpest around the bends IMO.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Getting very bored with my ZS now, I've had it over 4 years which is usually how long I keep motors. I'm saving for a Jag XF V6 twin turbo diesel, I recon I've earned some comfort after all the bone shaking!
I keep looking at those as well, but as i am about to move house i think i would get slaughtered if i blew the ready cash for all the fee's on a new car... but dam it is tempting me!

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
If you're thinking of an EVO/Scooby do your homework on the running costs. Parts cost a fortune and they need to be serviced loads. If you want over 300bhp i would look at a Veccy VXR or Mazda MPS. Mk1 Focus RS body panals are nla so you would be in the do do if you prang it. Focus st225's can't be taken much over 300bhp before the block will fail (unless you get a 2009 model or newer). You could go for an S3. The 1.8T are easy to tune but they are getting on a bit now. The newer S3's cost a fortune.

·
Chris
125 Posts
I Still really enjoy the ZS, it's a great handling car, sounds and pulls well, it's not the quickest out there but as an all rounder it ticks so many boxes for me, cost's of servicing, fuel consumption not to bad if driven well, if you've got a mk2 not many of them around and still look great.

I've tweaked the zs as much as i wanted to, never felt happy about interfering with the standard engine setup i.e cam's, remaps etc, nearly did once but thought the better of it.

I sometimes thought of changing the car but at the same time never wanted to change it, i now have no plans to sell the ZS, im still loving it and they have been my main drive since 2002.

The Mrs had an 05 corsa and wanted to free up some money and i wanted to get get my hands on a rear wheel drive vehicle again, so last week i purchased an MX5 roadster, she loves it as her daily drive and it gets me in the Jap clubs where my othere mates are as well.

It's only the 1.6 model but there are plans for the turbo kit upgrade, suspension, etc, it's cheap fun motoring she loves it and it's a change from the ZS because it's a totally different drive.

I'm so made up with the different combination of driving styles the two car's offer, and there's such a big marque for the MX5 bit's and parts are everywhere.

If you can keep the ZS and get the mrs a car which can be a second project car i recommend it.

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
Nice motor but I didn't have you down as a Jag man!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Nice motor.....still 20 k plus for a nice one.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Ive had my 180 over 3 years now and i wouldnt change it for the world still get a big buzz out of it . Goes quick enough for me and handles great. So think i,ll be keeping the zed for many more years yet .

·
MG ZS 180 :)
351 Posts
I may well be moving away from MG's soon after many years. Have had a ZR 160 and ZS 120 before my current ZS 180. But now need more room. We now have a second ex racing greyhound aswell as a 7 month old jack russel terrier puppy. The two hounds only just have enough room on the back seats together when we fill the footwells up with cousions. Bella, our puppy has to ride up front on my wife's knees!

Looking for a 98/99 Audi S4 Advant or maybe a A6 Advant. 2.7 V6 Bi turbo with quattro all wheel drive. Also good build and interior etc.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Are you holding onto the V6 still James, or do you fancy a change?

Please don't do it, your ZS is the nuts mate....

You could always turbo it at a later date! :roll: :rockon:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts