MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys can anyone recommend where I can get a gear stick to fit my 160 . I have invested in a new gear knob and gator (in yellow) but the gear knob will not fit on the shaft that came with the 160 . Also how do you get the old gear knob off ?. Thanks for any help given.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm

Hi I tried to unscew it but it must be on there real tight as I,ve had both hands on it and it would,nt budge but if you say it unscrews I,ll give it another go I,ll eat some porridge to give me more strength :) thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Does your new knob have the little pins that do up with a small alun key to secure it to the shaft? If so, why not try a DIY shortshift mod, hacksaw 2 inches off the shaft and pop your new knob on, makes a surprising difference to the feel of our gear shifts :) . Mind you, not ideal if you want to put the original back on :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Mook I,m up for cuttting the length of the gearstick down but I think the shaft may be to thick for the gear knob to fit on I have the (winner) racing perforated yellow leather knob. I will give it a try today to see if that will work. The other problem I have is I want to put a (richbrook) gearshift sleeve on it as well but the gearshaft looks so thick it will not go on it thats why I was asking about an alternative gearshaft.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
I,ve done it

Ok I did it but I did,nt have to cut the stick down once I got the knob off it was just a normal size. To put the new leather gator on I had to take the centre console out cd player and everything once you do that there is an oblong piece of wire sewn into the old black gator you have to take that out and insert it into the new one which is elasticated then screw that back into place then you can put the console back in . It looks the dog's and it will even be better when I get that new gear surround in next week. I,ll take some picks once it's finished as I have to do the handbrake as well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Watch it steve, i might have to get the gimp mask and whip out again.

actually he has raised a good point on the knob, it was a cheapy look good one from a C.A.R, i said get momo BTW.

If your gonna get anew one, id shell out the money on a named know rather than a 3rd party effort, Momo is the big name, but there are others, look at the coloring and the pattern (the carbon fibre looks like carbon fibre).

So you gonna bring it round then stevo?

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
ScWe...look forward to pics. It's something I've considered doing but would like to know whether effort worth it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Hi ffcphone it is worth it the pics will show it and I pick up the metal gear frame in the morning as A1 have finaly got it in. The problem I,m having now is the handbrake how the hell do you get the cover off as I need to put the new gator and handle on so if anybody has done it please let me know the best way cheers.

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
ScWe - Which surround you putting on? I've had the Simoni Racing one on a while now. Looks well minted. Pics under ZR modifications thread.

Look forward to pics. If as good as you say, gonna have to look into gear gator and knob myself. But may come back to you for a detailed 1-2-3 guide as my DIY is worse than bad!

Read somewhere that handbrake needs to be cut off with a blade but don't know if that's the definitive version.

F

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Hi again ffcphone yeh I,m getting the same surround as yourself it will finish the job off a treat let me know if you decide to go ahead and do it I,ll give as much help as I can . This was the first time I have done anything like this but if I can do it anybody can.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Scary jobs!!

It is a bit nervey when you undertake a job that means taking the car to bits or making a permanent mod....

A few of weeks ago i decided that i wanted a TV head unit and DVD player in the car, so i bought one.......!!!

£250 to get it fitted by a company but never being one to shy away from a challenge i decided to fit it myself (you also now that theres no funny business from the fitting company)....

Any way to cut a long story short, it took two days to fit. Removal of both front seats, the bench rear seat, the handbrake surround, centre console casing, all the rubber door seals and all the plastic facias where the rear speakers are.

Worth every minute of sweat (and worry) though coz the TV looks awesome, and once the full system is fitted it will sound the bomb too......

If you think a mod is worth doing, take your time and be careful, get advice and do it.......... :D

Most people on the forums have a general knowledge of modding so ask around, someones sure to know.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Hi MGZR105+ whats the best way to get the cover from around the handbrake I cannot see any screws holding it in place . Are they under that plastic flap just behind the buttons for the electric windows ?. Cheers mate

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
ScWe...thanks for offer of help.

I'm one of the those types that once I get an idea into my thick head I've got to go and do it ASAP and there's no point messing around. The more I think about it the more I wanna do the gear gaitor and knob but so many questions I'd like to perhaps engage in personal email rather than annoy everyone here and fill up this thread with gibberish. If that's OK with you, could you drop me an email.

Cheers mate.

Findlay

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
And whilst I remember ScWe can I bring to your attention Northern MG Owners website.

No committees, no rules, no cost. Just need an MG. Then you can come along and thrash around with us. Next event a week on Sunday. Yorkshire Dales. Graphical route map on website. Take about 3 hours to drive. Stops for lunch and later refreshment included. One of the roads we cover is absolutely awesome. Single track, across the remote tops of the Dales.

Around 15 cars and people now signed up to Meet-Up #2. Fancy it yourself?

Pics from Meet-Up #1 in April plus details of #3 and #4 in July and September also on site to view.

Let us know if interested.

F

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
Hey ffcphone thanks very much for the offer I,ll check the site out in a short while speak to you later .:)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Socket set & screwdrivers

They have done well to hide the fixings for the facia's in the MG.

To get the handbrake surround off follow these steps.

1. two screws each side of centre console, just up from the footwell, need removing.

2. there should be a small blanking plate underneath the handbrake, get a flat screwdriver under that and remove it.

3. remove the ashtray/change holder from the handbrake surround. The last 2 steps should have revealed a couple of nuts to loosen.

4. undo the nuts (which are two different sizes!!)and pull the surround towards the rear of the car. The surround should slide out of a groove in the main centre console, which is why you removed the screws from there to give a bit of slack.

Hey presto!!! Happy modding...

Top tip if you are always loosing screws / bolts / nuts etc.......Take an old mug in to the car with you and put everything you unscrew in it. That way your not gonna lose them under carpets or behind facias.

Are you changing the actual handbrake with the gaiter??? I have not modded that yet but want to. So if you do can i have some instructions in exchange for my wisdom?? Thanks m8.:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts