MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed driving back from Bedford last night that I thought I could hear what sounded like my clutch plate spinning but it seems to be coming from the area below my gearstick?
I always used to be able to hear it when I changed gear with my foot on the clutch at low speeds but I could actually slightly hear this constantly at higher speeds last night. I hope this isn't a knackered clutch cos I really can't afford to pay out for another this close to Christmas and getting the belts done!
Any ideas??

·
Got the MG bug bad...
1,307 Posts
Is it the clutch slave cylinder thingy? One of the common things on a 180. Time to try and find a sheddist kit i think.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it the clutch slave cylinder thingy? One of the common things on a 180. Time to try and find a sheddist kit i think.
Got a sheddist kit on mate, so it's not the hydraulics. You can very very faintly hear something spinning. I know the clutch plate spins and that's why I wondered if that was normal?

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
Clutch plate spinning??? What does that sound like?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
My guess would be clutch release bearing too. I got "slipping" noises when engaging and disengaging the clutch when mine went on my 2nd 180. Will happen most when changing gear, but as it gets worse you get a whirring when just driving.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My guess would be clutch release bearing too. I got "slipping" noises when engaging and disengaging the clutch when mine went on my 2nd 180. Will happen most when changing gear, but as it gets worse you get a whirring when just driving.
Is this a job I can do or is it a garage job. I have only done a few jobs on the car up to now!

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
if the bearing has gone, it will be a good bet that the whole clutch unit will require replacement.

Biggish job and you will need to know what you are doing. Unless you have some mates who can give a hand.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if the bearing has gone, it will be a good bet that the whole clutch unit will require replacement.

Biggish job and you will need to know what you are doing. Unless you have some mates who can give a hand.
Well it does crunch sometimes when doing a quick gear change resulting in me not shifting properly. Will keep my eye on it, it's not loud at the moment so will maybe look at changing it next year sometime. If it holds out.....fingers crossed!!

Thanks for all the info guys ;) :yup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts