MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

funny noise when brakin at high speeds

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  grant_m_o6 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
on a few occasions ive had my car upto the over 100 kph mark and when i come to the end of my run at e.g approaching a roundabout etc if i brake hard i get a weird rough grinding noise, now i know its not my discs or pads because it happened before and i changed the discs and pads and it was still there, when i drive normally you wouldnt know its there but if i drive like a maniac then brake hard it does it...its quite scary to be honest because it slows down my brakin process because it feels like the brake pedal is pushing bak on me...
i took off the drums on the back and looked before but everything was fine...and i have enuff brake fluid...

its really weird

#5 ·
when i drive normally you wouldnt know its there but if i drive like a maniac then brake hard it does it..
Solution is to stop driving like a maniac! Simples!

But yeah, you've just described the ABS system pulsing really fast under heavy breaking. You'll notice less of a grind if the road surface is clean and dry. Try breaking over ice and it grinds like crazy.

#7 ·
Exactly as mine are.

but in response to OP.

I have the same problem with my R45 - if i go for a "spirited" drive, and brake hard then the brakes do make a grinding noise.

I know its not the ABS kicking in as i know what that feels like and is totally different.

I'll be changing the discs and pads soon for the MOT in sept - so i'll see if that cures it ( but i doubt it will )

#8 ·
hey guys..

yeah yous have all pretty much described it to a T but as kev said it does feel very grindy to be abs, ok maybe its stopping me from skiddin but it feels like i should be stopping a lot sooner...

not sure i know a few guys in a garage down the road might get my drums n shoes checked just incase...

cheers ppl

#9 ·
it feels like i should be stopping a lot sooner...
Could the pads or disks not be overheating and fading when trying to bring the car to a quick stop from such a speed? Have you tried lifting off the brakes then reapplying them?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.