MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Trophy Blue ZR on sat 16/03, so it was my 1st weekend with the ZR. Nothing could have prepared me for what was to come....................people love it!!!!!!

My mate Steve was also out in his Yellow ZR, which could have amplified the interest somewhat. But hey the looks people give the car as you drive past.

Then we park up at a burger bar that is a focal point for pubbers & clubbers @ about 11.30 coz i'm hungry.

While in the queue for my chips, i noticed a couple of women pointing and looking at the car. So i ate my chips sat on a wall about 15yds away from parked ZR to monitor opinion................anonymously.

30mins, about 50 people measuring up the ZR and comments ranging from "fcuking hell thats nice" to "look at that, what is it?"

Drove away feeling very happy and not 2 concerned about the 3 years of payments that are coming up on the car!!!!!!

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Have noticed the same effect with my wifes ZR (105 in yellow).
People just cannot help themselves - they have to look!!!

·
The Cleaner (aka jon)
986 Posts
HAHAHA

Drove away feeling very happy and not 2 concerned about the 3 years of payments that are coming up on the car!!!!!!
Pure brilliance! :D Im just about to go into a 3 year deal for a 105+. I fking love the image that comes with these cars :)

·
The Cleaner (aka jon)
986 Posts
true true, lets not forget im only 20 and anything with more go would cost me more to insure than buy :mad:

A quite respectable motor none the less, i just better not try and race anyone from the lights, a nova would have it :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
respect mate. we all know insurance is a bugger. just insured my new car (ibiza cupra 20vt) £753 FC. Group 15.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Having said that a NOVA would beat you, I'm not sure about that. I had a traffic light grand prix wih a *** 318 the other day and I outaccelerated it.

It was lurching forward at the lights and so obviously trying and I just put my foot down and left it standing.

I have a R25, 83ps! So it's not as tuned up as yours, but it'll get away fairly quick. I find my car extremely quick off the line, so don't underestimate it - top speed isn't everything. My car beats the majority of superminis hands down - king of the little cars I call it!

One day I hope to fit the 103 throttle body to mine to make it 103ps - it would be nice to have a bit more power.

·
The Cleaner (aka jon)
986 Posts
On paper a *** 318 would walk over a r25. It should be able to out strip a r45 1.8 too i belive, nice to know not all things are down to paper :)

Nice car Mike, i bet that goes some :)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
On paper it is all down to 'bhp'. In the whole scheme of things if a *** 318 has 130 bhp for arguments sake and a 1.8 R25 has 130 bhp, you also need to take into account that *** 318s are very heavy cars and R25s are quite light, so a 1.8 R25 would walk all over a *** 318.

I guess that's how I even remotely had a chance with my 83 bhp R25 - it's light and quick and as much as I hate to admit it, I WAS trying :D

Then again, so was the ***.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Beset said:
On paper a *** 318 would walk over a r25. It should be able to out strip a r45 1.8 too i belive, nice to know not all things are down to paper :)

Nice car Mike, i bet that goes some :)
the 20vt ibiza is a cracking performer. Not got it yet, should get it this week. Did the deal last week with SEAT dealer in Warrington. Got my plans for it anyway. ;)

·
The Cleaner (aka jon)
986 Posts
I cant help but think your either really really good at standing starts or that *** driver just wasnt trying hard enough :) 120bhp through those rear wheels *should* get the car away nicely :)

Alltho ive never driven a *** 318 ive driven a r45 1.8 and have to say its got some pace for a big car (thank you k series :D). Im allways impressed with Rover engines midrange pull and top range twang. I cant wait until i can get myself a ZS or a ZT :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

Having driven the ZT 190+ (got one of them too!) the R25 doesn't compare - the ZT is so many leagues ahead.

I love driving the 25 though because it's so easy to nip in and out of traffic and so easy to park too. The majority of the 25's power is in 2nd and 3rd - it can do 60 mph in 2nd easily and 80 mph easily in 3rd. The power drops a bit in the higher gears, but it can get away very quickly due to the power in the lower gears which is why it's good at traffic light grand prix's.

The majority of my driving is motorway with traffic at either end (I do 80 miles a day going in and out of work) so the R25 handles well in traffic. I don't think I'd like driving the ZT in the middle of Bath - especially having to part it in work's carpark - the spaces are so small :(

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Actually, I have to say that Nats car is very quick off the line, even faster than mine (until about 15mph... :D)

It's major plus is that you can drop the clutch at 8k revs, and not wheelspin off the line.. Just pull away very quickly.

I've also driven in a few ***s, most notably a E30 M3. This car is notable for the fact that most parts are lightened to reduce weight, and it's still much heavier than the 25. Yes, the engine is more powerful, but also it needs to pull more weight around...

As Nat will tell you, I did briefly consider a Seat Leon Cupra R before deciding on the ZT. I dismissed it for the same reasons I dismissed the ZS. The interior was a sore disappointment compared to the outside.

Personally, I don't think the 25/ZR interior is too bad. Looking at the competition (as we did thoroughly when Nat bought her car), the 25 is no more dated than the average VW/Ford/Seat/Vauxhall/etc etc etc) The interior of the Corsa deserves special mention - I felt like it would break if I sat in it because it was so cheaply built.

Oh, and Nat, you can actually do 90 in third in your car... :)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Oh, and Nat, you can actually do 90 in third in your car...
Can you now? And I suppose you could back this allegation up could you? :D :D :D

·
The Cleaner (aka jon)
986 Posts
nn-y, defiantly a complement :D

If the ratios are close to the r45's 90 is very possible in 3rd (or so ive been told :rolleyes: ) and 2nd is at its prime between 30-65 (same chap told me ;) )

Interior-wise i was semi disappointed with the ZR / ZT. I prefer the style in the r45, everything felt a little tacky in the ZR160 i sat in on Sunday, ep the electric window switches and the stuck on alloy effect to the dash :( what it lacks on the inside it makes up for on the outside tho :D I also find the leather trim rather lovely on the seats, that claws a lot back a good few style points.

As for the ZT, every time i sit in one of those i just sit beaming, its such a lovely car inside and out, your a lucky chap :)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
As for the ZT, every time i sit in one of those i just sit beaming, its such a lovely car inside and out, your a lucky chap
Chappess surely :D

Unless that was directed at my husband, Nick?? :D

He drives the ZT more than I do :p

·
The Cleaner (aka jon)
986 Posts
It was indeed directed at nick, that was probably an over sight on my behalf, sorry :)

Your a lucky couple :D

Nice to see we are all nice and busy with work ;)

*goes back to day dreaming about ZT xpowers*

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Work? What's that? :D

Working through a test specification that doesn't want to be worked through at the moment :)

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Work? Ah, yes, I remember it well.
Easter holidays at present, trying not to about school too much. Got a lot of marking and planning to do before starting back though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.