MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Least we didn't have the sprinklers out!!!

Thought Vettel started as he finished last season, and all the others were trying to keep up.

Disappointed there was no more overtaking, with all the improvements, thought it was suppose to make it easier to get by. Button had to use a run off road, was then penalised by a drive through penalty and put paid to his race.

The Lotus and Virgin teams seem a bit more competitive, but I think I would sooner see BTCC. You never know who will be in the lead one lap to the next.

:wave:

·
Registered
129 Posts
The Virgin has clearly gone backwards. They could really struggle to qualify if the RedBulls decide to stick soft tyres on in first qualifying and really go for it.

RedBull look the strongest team at the moment but I dont think the gap is that huge really. If they dont have KERS in Malaysia it'll hurt them a lot more.

Drives of the race were undoubtably Petrov and Perez imo. If Perez keeps this up it'll not be long before Felipe Massa has to start worrying about his Ferrari contract.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Used a run off area to overtake, Massa I think it was, Jensen had been trying for a few laps but didn't have the speed.

He said Massa pushed him off his line and had to take the run off to avoid a collision.

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
i wouldn't judge the new over taking aids too much on australia as its a circuit were overtaking is hard anyway, especially as the straight is quite short, we will see a clearer picture next week imo.
Drs obviously works, there were a couple of onboard shots from 2 overtakes that showed it gave a big straight line speed advantage.
Imo red bulls could be vulnerable in malaysia if they dont get kers fitted, lewis was not far off vettel in the first stint, infact he was catching him but then his car sustained floor damage some time after the first pit stop ,and he lost down force.
Button had a dissapointing result but his race pace showed the mclaren has real speed and considering how they were looking in the last test thats a miracle, theres a lot more to come from the mp4-26......it had never turned a wheel on track in its current guise till friday practice in quali so how can it be anywhere near optomised !
gutted for mercedes, im no shumacher fan but i want to see him do better this season.
When the other top teams copy red bulls ilegal flexi front wing it will level the playing field and make things closer still.
I say ilegal as although it passes all the tests its clearly going lower than the r.p at speed, which is in the rules as not allowed, fia just dont know how to test it imo. One thing for sure newey is damn clever because the other top teams havent even figured it out yet or they would be running their own versions, lewis said its worth half a second alone !!

·
Registered
121 Posts
malasian gp was pretty good I thought, new wings seem to work well with long straights

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
peterzs I totally agree. BTCC and the bike racing IS EXCITING. Formula 1 has had it for excitment. It used to be good a few years ago.

·
Registered
129 Posts
peterzs I totally agree. BTCC and the bike racing IS EXCITING. Formula 1 has had it for excitment. It used to be good a few years ago.
I hear that a lot, Just out of interest when you say 'a few years ago' when exactly do you mean? I've been a huge fan of the sport now for nearly 2 decades and I still find it as exciting as all them years ago. 2010 was possibly the greatest season I've ever witnessed.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Don't know if all the aerodynamic bits that have been added in the last few years, has made it more difficult, or near on impossible to pass.

Can see this when the top running cars get out of sequence at the start, they then have as much trouble as the middle or back runners to fight their way back to the front, Webber, is an example.

Its all down to the qualifying results, I know pole position has always given the best chance of winning but its all so predictable now.

Maybe that's why Bernie, suggested sprinklers and even the commentators, in the last race, said that they hoped for showers to mix it up a bit.

The new changes are going to make it a bit more interesting but still doesn't grab me, I'm afraid.

:wave:

·
Registered
608 Posts
I personally want to see rid of a few things;

- get rid of KERS
- get rid of the DRS/stallable rear wings

As the above two mean that any car that is behind will, momentarily, pass the one in front as though theres a rocket shoved up its behind. Does it increase overtaking? Yes. Does it make racing interesting? No. The car infront may as well be a backmarker.

- get rid of the rule saying you can only change direction once to defend your position, it's stupid. If i were in front, I would be trying my damnest to ensure the person behind me stays there. Its called R-A-C-I-N-G. Two drivers going head to head to try and take a position is the most exciting bit. I struggle to imagine Senna simply letting Prost by, saying "Oh well, I tried to defend my position"

- bring back in-race fueling, I liked the variability in tactics this caused. If this is the case, then the quick-wear tyres can stay, otherwise,

- get rid of the quick wear tyres, theyre silly. they burn out after, what, 10 laps? Why not just bring them in to refuel as theyre in the pits anyway.

- bring back in season testing to try and stop one team *cough* Red Bull *cough* developing something pre-season and then running away with the championship.

- develop a cap on power, but let the teams decide what engine they want to use to get there. I dont care if its a turbo inline 4 or a supercharged V8, they each have their advantages and disadvantages. Variability is the key here.

Oh, one more thing
- sick of the races being predictable processions? Want to see some rain mix things up a little? The solution is simple - don't f***ing race in the middle east in summer you bleedin idiots. Forget this nonsense about sprinklers.

Ok, I'll step down off my soap box now.... anyone else?

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I was refering to the days of Mansell and Senna etc. I hardly missed a race, but for whatever reasons now I hardly ever bother so it must be the reduction in raw performance, driving,guts,determination,skill and excitment.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I wouldnt have said that the drivers themselves are any less able - they still have guts, determination and skill, but the cars have been downtuned. More to the point, the FIA wouldnt let anyone get away with driving like Senna anymore. Like it or not, he WAS dangerous. Good to watch, though.
Incidentally, the film about Senna (imaginatively titled "Senna") is out in the UK on June 3rd.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Put the cat amongst the pidgeons bring back turbo's Lets face it its alright having the power there but you still have to have the bottle to use it

·
Registered
157 Posts
1.6? oh dear,

cant work out whats going on at red bull why is webbers car always crocked?
does anyone smell sabotage

1 - 19 of 19 Posts