1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Wrote off but not Dead YET !!!
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
179 Posts
I hope they find who put the nails down and put 2 thro their eyes. Some sick people in this world. At least they now have to live with a death on their hands ... Hope they have nightmares the rest of their lives.

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
As above

·
Registered
474 Posts
Absolutely bloody stupid vigilante behavior - whoever planted those nails needs locking up, that is bordering on murder!

·
Registered nUber
2,259 Posts
Just read snippits of that thread and it's appaling that someone would do that. I reall hope that the person gets found and convicted of murder or man slaughter. I await to see what happens.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Speeding was the killer, the nails just were a contributory factor.

If a tree had fallen onto a road around a corner, if you were doing 80 instead of 40 would you blame the tree?

G

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
That wasn't good reading, a very sad outcome to an accidient that by all accounts shouldn't have happened.

Seirres aren't very strong, my ex bent the chassis on her dads when she drove into the rear quater of a fiesta at 20mph.

The road where this one happened is very much a concrete and armco tunnel, IIRC there is a railway underneath so it's designed to stop cars falling on to the tracks as much as anything else. The speed limit is 40mph and as the rounderbout only has to exits there is no traffic going around it, so not much need to slow.

Very sad and I hope the 2 injured lads make a decent recovery.

·
Registered nUber
2,259 Posts

If a tree had fallen onto a road around a corner, if you were doing 80 instead of 40 would you blame the tree?

G
Bit of a silly comment there G. As a like for like comparison it should state "chopped down" then YES. Fouling the public highways is a very big no no especially if it's a massive contributing factor to someones death.

I know people that have had a caution for putting a small length of timber infront of their drop curb to prevent their car from catching.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts

G
My educated guess is that if the nail hadn't been there it may not have happened at all, so although the outcome was worse than it would have been at 20 miles an hour speed"ING" wasn't the killer.

The road where it happened is less than 20 years old and the whole enviroment has been designed to keep cars on the carrageway in the case of an accident or incident, the rounderbout properbly included to break the stretch of road which is a dead straight dual carrageway running the length of the london city airport runway.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Charger's just like some of the other 'High and mightys' that posted on the original forum. All Pi*s and vinegar.

Yes the guy probably was speeding - But that does not diminish the fact some empty-head glued nails to the road THAT CAUSED THE FATAL CRASH.

Would things change if rather than a boy racer, a family minivan had hit the nail and veered into a car coming the other way and people killed ?

Someone did something unimaginably stupid that ended someone life. End of.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Its not being high and mighty at all.

If you want to race around the streets, then put your car on a race track where there are qualified people to deal with incidents if and when they occur.

Why should the police and ambulance crews have to attend incidents caused by boy racers who just have no respect for other road users.

And to be honest, how do we know that the masonary nail was responsible anyway?

Just because there was a picture of a nail taken doesnt mean thats what caused it.

Lets await a full police report , as im sure that wasnt the only car to have driven along that road that day !

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Charger's just like some of the other 'High and mightys' that posted on the original forum. All Pi*s and vinegar.

Yes the guy probably was speeding - But that does not diminish the fact some empty-head glued nails to the road THAT CAUSED THE FATAL CRASH.

Would things change if rather than a boy racer, a family minivan had hit the nail and veered into a car coming the other way and people killed ?

Someone did something unimaginably stupid that ended someone life. End of.
You have that about right.

The amount of damage to the car is consistant with hitting the armco at the speedlimit, I doubt he was going fast enough to even qualify for 3 points on his license at the time he lost his ability to brake whereas the person that caused the accident qualifies for manslaughter and a possible indefinite jail sentence.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Bit of a silly comment there G. As a like for like comparison it should state "chopped down" then YES. Fouling the public highways is a very big no no especially if it's a massive contributing factor to someones death.

I know people that have had a caution for putting a small length of timber infront of their drop curb to prevent their car from catching.
Thats why there are speed limits in place to allow you to deal with an incident if and when it occurs.

If you drive beyond these limits, then when it goes wrong you are the only one to blame.

Remember the speed limits on roads are maximum speeds you dont need to drive at the maximum speed.

Your car has a rev limit, would you drive it at the rev limit all the time?

Sorry the guy was speeding end of story.

Yes we all speed, and at the end of the day we have to accept the risks when things go wrong.

All F1 drivers accept the risk they put themselves through when racing at high speed. They have roll cages and other safety devices to lessen the risk of death when they get things wrong, or when an incident occurs.

You speed, you accept the risk.

G

·
Registered
951 Posts
A fella is dead. His mates are seriously injured. This is a tragedy for three (driver and two passengers?) families and to a lesser extent, a bunch of like-minded petrol-heads who love their Fords.

As for the cause of the accident - ask two questions in isolation:

Would the result have been the same if the nail wasn't there?

Would the result have been the same if he wasn't going too fast?

As many others, I don't know - I wasn't there, I didn't witness it.

With the benefit of 20-20 vision that is hindsight - if the speed was within the prescribed limit, it is likely the incident would not have been as serious. Similarly, if the nail wasn't there - again, it would not have been as serious. Both elements caused the outcome. It is not unfair for individuals to comment upon or criticise the excessive speed and also the **** who glued nails to a road

IF neither nail nor 'speeding' was involved - the likelihood is that no accident would have ocurred at all.

The individual who thought it was a good idea to stick nails to the tarmac is a waste of space . . . . who has to live in the knowledge that his actions have made a significant contribution to the terrible end result.

I just hope that the other occupants eventually make a full recovery.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Thats why there are speed limits in place to allow you to deal with an incident if and when it occurs.

If you drive beyond these limits, then when it goes wrong you are the only one to blame.

Remember the speed limits on roads are maximum speeds you dont need to drive at the maximum speed.

Your car has a rev limit, would you drive it at the rev limit all the time?

Sorry the guy was speeding end of story.

Yes we all speed, and at the end of the day we have to accept the risks when things go wrong.

All F1 drivers accept the risk they put themselves through when racing at high speed. They have roll cages and other safety devices to lessen the risk of death when they get things wrong, or when an incident occurs.

You speed, you accept the risk.

G
When you drive on the road, you dont expect someone to deliberatly lay traps to catch you out.

I dont think F1 drivers would drive round the track the same way if they thought there were nails laying around.

You seem to put all the blame on the driver, I dont know, but he might know the road and know how he can drive it.

Just seems a tragic waste of life that need not have happened.

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
Its not being high and mighty at all.

If you want to race around the streets, then put your car on a race track where there are qualified people to deal with incidents if and when they occur.

Why should the police and ambulance crews have to attend incidents caused by boy racers who just have no respect for other road users.

unbelievably, astonishingly, breath takingly hypocritical comments , knowing how you have regularly driven on the road and having been told by you yourself of some of the stupid things you have done that showed total disregard for every other road user in the vicinity......... and whats more you thought it was funny!

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
unbelievably, astonishingly, breath takingly hypocritical comments , knowing how you have regularly driven on the road and having been told by you yourself of some of the stupid things you have done that showed total disregard for every other road user in the vicinity......... and whats more you thought it was funny!
Well we all live and learn !Im fortunate enough to not to have killed myself or anyone else* !However, if i need a speed fix, then i go to a trackday.Most of the time now, i drive like miss daisy.. cruise control on and sit at 70 on the motorway. cars economical and i arrive non stressed.G

1 - 20 of 81 Posts